Today when I was visiting my parents...

Today when I was visiting my parents, I told my dad that I've been practicing heel and toe downshifting technique (I drive RWD) and he smacked me across the head and said to get that "stupid racer bullshit" out of my head, and that during 30 years he's been driving never once he've seen that ever. When I said that it seemed to make my motorcycle riding more efficient and seems to make sense, he got really mad and mom had to enter the discussion and she told me to stop stressing my dad out with "crap you read on online forums, because you're not as smart as you think you are".

Then we just sat in silence. I'm not mad at my dad but he get's really defensive about driving, since he worked from behind the wheel most of his life. Now they keep telling me to drive safe and not pull any crap on my way home.

Did you fuck with me Veeky Forums? Same shit happened when I asked my bike instructor about countersteering. I was right then. Should we really heel and toe in regular traffic?

Nice blog dude

Subscribe to it fucker. My question still stands

For daily use it does absolutely nothing. Unless you time attack your way to work or to get groceries.

Heel-toe wherever the fuck you want, it's not harming anyone.

You're fucking retarded faggot, heal toe and counter steering are both real and effective driving / riding techniques. Your ((father)) is old and doesn't know how to drive. Deal with it.

First if you don't autocross with a car that has a very big turbo for it's size it's useless
Second it's pretty comon in old rally car and in even modern series because small engine big turbo
So show him a video of a rally driver doing that ,then gently point out that he is wrong and also as dumb as his son

wow rude. Why you feel the need to attack me for the sins if my father?
Yeah? What about clutch wear or rear wheel lock up in low traction conditions. Sounds like a shitty excuse not to put effort into becoming better as a driver

on a bike it's fine, but in a car it's pointless unless you're on a track

anyone saying it makes their driving smoother is a retard that can't shift properly in the first place and probably drives like a total cunt.

My boiracer friendo says that revmatching or heel toeing damages your car and says im a shit driver

> HE DRIVES A RICED OUT 1.6 E36

>What about clutch wear
A well executed rev-matched downshift REDUCES clutch wear.

That's what I meant. Argument: Heel toeing is useless. My counter: It prevents lock ups and reduces clutch wear. Am I wrong?
This is just sad. Maybe He's just fucking with you

My argument wasn't "heel-toeing is useless". It was "heel-toeing is harmless".

Does your dad look like Mandy Patinkin?

YOu can achieve the same with just a rev match. There's no reason to heel toe unless you need to brake while downshifting. If you're driving in a relaxed manner, with enough room in front of you, you can just rev match to downshift then brake. I mean, it wont hurt anything if you do, but it's not necessary

>when I said that it seemed to make my motorcycle riding more efficient

Revmatching on a motorcycle is crucial to maintaining control even with normal riding, on cars is less important but makes driving smoother overall.

Your dad is a dumbass ignore him.

I just let off the brake for a second to lower gear+gas then back on the brakes into the turn.

But even then it's kind of a waste of time when you could just sit in the current gear through your turn on the brakes and downshift at your slowest once the turn is done.

>OP'S DAD BTFO BECAUSE HE CAN'T HEEL TOE EVEN AFTER YEARS AND YEARS OF DRIVING
>Many keks were had at your dad's expense

Then you can't power out of the turn properly though ;_;
Non-revmatchers cannot be helped user. They are like flat-earthers.

Rev match every downshift, always.

How do you heel-toe downshift (rev-match?) on a motorcycle?
t. brainlét

You twist your wrist real quick, just before letting go of the clutch. That's all. "Heel-toeing" is much easier since your brakes are right there at your throttle and foot so you don't really have to sync all that much.

this man gets it

lol my dad asked me if i knew how to heel toe downshift one day

sounds like he needs to take a chill pill OP

Most people really fuck up rev matched downshifts so they do more harm than good. In that regard your dadio isnt wrong if he doesn't want you snapping his shit or breaking a car he bought you or even just breaking your own because of some ricerooni you saw online.

That being said if you can rev match properly there isnt any harm in doing so it is just a little showy and in traffic isn't all that worthwhile because you look like a chump. Also its just plain tiring to do for every shift if you drive alot so while I could do heel toe I mostly did not.

TL:DR; grow out of being a riceboii and dont argue with your parents for no reason.

No, your dad is right and you sound like a total sperg.

This is like a fucking 3 stooges skit, wow

>I think they have done it before

Just shows you how righteous one can be when you think you are sitting pretty and really quickly be in a position of not having anything but your body.

Don't go to shitholes

It must never snow where you live.
Try not rev matching in winter, doesn't matter if you drive fwd/rwd. Perhaps when you wreck your shit for stupid fucking reason you'll learn why there's legit reason why that's a thing.
Not to mention you save on clutch discs in the long run.

>Should we really heel and toe in regular traffic?
No.

I have to heel toe to downshift in my car because the syncros are fucked. Also rev matching is required on motorcycles to keep the rear tire from locking up

You don't have to heel-toe to rev match.

>should we
no
>is it fun
yes
>will you ever convince your control freak dad
no
>should you have picked up enough social clues by now and realize that this isn't something that will impress your parents and that there are just some things your parents will never understand no matter how supportive they are like for example telling them how good your favourite anime is?
probably

You do if you want to stop without riding the clutch or exclusively using the brakes like a pleb

>should we heel-toe in regular traffic

No you aspie fucktard, just drive normally.

On the race track in a largely competitive environment it's another matter entirely.

You might as well practice.

>this
who doesn't?

Heel-toe is redundant in 99% of driving situations in a car, but on a bike it's the quickest and smoothest way to shift.

Cars aren't bikes and you're not rasekar 99% if the time.

Also it doesn't do shit to the clutch if you don't rev match when you change down.

Your dad is a fucking pleb
I would be sad if I had a pussy ass dad who told me what the fuck to do with my car. Instead my dad just says don’t crash or get pulled over, two things I would never want anyways, and we get along just fine.

Did he also pick your car for you? I bet he told you to buy an econo-shitheap and you listened like a dumb fuck.

Except putting more wear, of course.

rev matching is the proper way to downshift. anything else unsettles the car

I know someone with a 200k mile Hilux on its original clutch who doesn't rev match at all.

Can't see it making much of a difference desu. And besides, a clutch is wear item like brake pads.

>striking your child when he brings up a topic he's interested
>being a stupid roastie and siding with the man who strikes your son over nothing and probably does the same to you
Sounds like your parents are both fucking worthless turds. You should distance yourself from them.

Shut up, listen to your parents and quit being a whiny little bitch that listens to "how to drive" advice from Veeky Forums bus riders

>Father strikes own child when simply bringing up a topic he's interested in.
>A woman trying to act superior in a conversation about driving skill.
It writes itself.

Heel toeing is only necessary when you need to downshift and brake at the same time, i.e maximum attack. Unless you are driving up to red lights and flooring you brake pedal frequently in traffic, heel toeing is stupid. Plus you risk seriously fucking up your drivetrain and/or engine if you do it wrong, as apposed to regular downshifting where you might just feel a lurch.

>mfw i rev the engine with the clutch in from 3rd to second because there is a section of road that goes from 35 to 25 mph and id rather make the engine go vroom vroom rather than use the clutch to slow down

also i heal toe all fuggin day on the touge idgaf

Think of it this way

An automatic transmission can downshift while you brake
If you can't brake and downshift in a manual you are worse at driving than a computer that's about as powerful as a casio watch and need to swap it for a slushbox ASAP for being the kind of moron that stalls whenever they emergency brake. It's not even pointless.

If you are not in a gear you can use without lugging or stalling at all times you are a dangerous driver.
You must be able to brake and downshift at all times or you should not be allowed to drive a manual. Period.
You must be able to downshift without locking the drive wheels or you should not be allowed to drive a manual. Period.
You must be able to select the proper gear quickly and accurately each and every time, no money shifts, dead zones, or 3rd-4th "downshifts" ever, or you should not be allowed to drive a manual. Period.

Your dad should get an auto and if you listen to him you should follow suit

you're a faggot and your webm is shit. Also I'm willing to bet you're incapable of doing a one armed pull up.

I don't think you know how an automatic transmission works.

I throttle blip downshift at literally every opportunity. I can't actually heel toe in my car because babyfeet and pedal box is big. If you downshift without rev matching, you're both wearing out your clutch and stressing your transmission and drivetrain unnecessarily.

Heel toe is only really needed if you're braking and downshifting at the same time. But also if you're using a downshift to slow down, putting on your brake lights is polite. It's like when you're riding a motorcycle in a group. People get pretty mad at you when you engine brake hard because your brake lights don't come on. In that situation, at least hit the rear brake. Motorcycles have an advantage here.

>countersteering is wrong
>bike instructor
Maybe stop taking lessons from that instructor. Dude's going to get you killed.

I think maybe you are confusing it with left foot braking because heel toe is very common on circuits, whereas left foot braking is in fact used to keep boost up in corners as well as a critical technique in rally, old and new but it is not to spool the turbo (new wrc cars have no lag) but to shift weight and brake bias to corner. not to say you wouldn't heel toe in an old rally car.

>be me
>drive to work
>go from red light across junction to a big multilane fast road
>get to speed (70kph)
>have to turn off as soon as you hit speed onto an road exit that is 30m long
>brakes on, heel toe down into second, let go of brakes take corner at new speed approperiate for tight parking lot
Yeah its useful every time you need to slow down and change gear.
It's like cooking food yourself in a world of ready meals.
Anyone who says its useless drives automatic, lies about being able to do it or is not able to do it.

I fucking hate when boomers pull the "you're not as smart as you think you are" bullshit. They always think that you can learn everything through experience and shit, when in reality the majority of things are learned through absorption and the only things you need experience in are practical applications. They don't ever understand the fucking nuance or theory behind what they do and they almost always do it ineffectively or completely incorrectly. Fuck boomers

Lel, my dad is the same way. When I bought winter tires he bitched and moaned about how I was wasting money, and he had been driving for 30+ years and he never needed winter tires, that the laws of physics are a lie and that I'm being entitled by wanting to be able to drive to work in the winter without dying.

Every winter he gets stuck at home whenever it snows because he's a dumbass and runs nearly bald Chinese all seasons year round.