I cant find the problem. Help me Veeky Forums

My 2001 f150 has been clunking around corners and coming to a stop. Ive been afraid the diff gears are fucked so this morning i opened up the diff and everything seems normal. I changed the diff fluid 10k miles ago and hasnt made noises till recently. its a limited slip and i added the friction modifier. Im stumped and im hoping someone here ran into something like this

We need more info. Is the noise coming from front or rear? Can you feel it?

Drive straight

Bearings

Its from the rear

I was suspecting those but they would make noises all the time if they were bad

Not true. Bearings are weird. Sometimes it only make noise at certain angles (when turning) and certain speeds.

I changed the fluid and now the noise is sounding more like a repeated thud and the truck shudders to a stop during anything other than light braking with squeals in braking turns. This problem is going to make drink a tall glass of jack n coke

How does the driveshaft u-joints feel?

Are you sure it's in the rear? Sounds like it could be a CV axle. Not sure it would be a problem without 4wd turned on though.

I rarely use the 4wd it would suck if those were going out

Hey, I wanna HIJACK this thread.

My GF currently has her families 2001 F-150 and we're in cold north, and the front (I believe at least) suspension squeaks horribly, but mostly from slight side to side motions and going over slight bumps.

we just drove from a warmer climate and I was wondering what this is, I was thinking balljoints personally?

It might be the control arm bushings. Get a penetrating lube and spray them

It's not necessarily use that causes them to fail, but torn or dry-rotted grease boots. And it doesn't matter if 4wd is on, they are always turning.

I second this guy, but don't leave it at the penetrating lube, great for diagnosis but they should be replaced.

I have a couple things to check tomorrow. Cv axles would just be another thing on my shopping list of speculation

I had a similar issue with lots of clunking and creaking slowing to a stop or hitting bumps and it was actually my sway bar bushings. They started to make the noise when it got cold, changed them out and no more of the noise completely back to normal. Also when I purchased the car used it was making clicking and clunking sounds and it was the cv axle and front drive shaft. Trying to sell it all broken. I had him make the repairs to it before purchase and it fixed the sounds completely.

Is it worth it to replace these things at 167,000, or will the truck die before too long? It's not even her vehicle technically, so I don't know if she wants to put any money into it.

167k is still young for an f150 of that generation

+1 this or carrier bearing

tie rod ends or balljoints
lift vehicle, grab wheel at 12 and 6, shake
>if clunks, ball joint
grab wheel at 3 and 9, shake
>if clunks, tie rods

Front end is solid its something in the rear

what do your shackle mounts look like?
pic related was my ranger (also 2001) before I fixed it a few months back. I believe the F-150 is a similar setup.
~$80 all in for the brackets, shackles, and bushings. Local oreillys had them in stock.

That's what I get for buying a yooper truck.

Jesus. How did it end up looking like that. My shackles have just slightly cracked rubber

some things just aren't worth questioning.
just look at the hitch below (datestamped same year as truck) and the sheetmetal that was holding up the entire rear end. Not a speck of rust on either.

Yeah I would say so, this car was at 120 and was pretty clean. I'd imagine your car to be something that would last a long time given it was well taken care of. I have a 96 grand Cherokee with 245 on the clock. I take super good care of it but I have to replace things here and there on it and it's just too much for me because I work a lot doing physical work and need breaks. Gonna keep it as a restoration project just because nobody will make anything like it ever again. But yeah I see Mexicans that beat the shit out of their f150s here and they're all probably super high mileage. I've interacted with laborers who come from la county to San Diego every day. Know a guy who goes 400 round trip a day in the same year Silverado and it runs fine

>washing the salt off? what do you mean by that? what's this "undercoating" you also speak of?

Theres this guy in my area with an 86 gmc flatbed the thing blew me away when i saw it had 380k miles. It sounded and looked like death but still ran

check for loose shit in the suspension. sway bar links, tie rods, shocks, etc...

Yeah someone who I had from a temp agency, some meth head guy had some crappy beat up 4 cyl Toyota had 480k on the clock. Was a disgusting truck the transmission was basically garbage. It's a shame future cars will never really last lile the old cars

New engines are so high strung to meet emissions and mpg requirements they will never last like that

>It's a shame future cars will never really last lile the old cars
Philosophy of value has changed.

Instead of making items that can last as long as possible, it's now considered that overbuilding and over-engineered products waste profit. It's a waste of resources to build an engine that lasts beyond the expected lifespan of the vehicle.

>they will never last like that
Planned obsolescence or planned self-destruction seems to be more and more a part of devices now that it's legal after deregulation removed rules preventing it. And it's not just in cars but many other devices as well in order to force the purchase of replacements.