Is there an accepted angle of v8s and if so what is it? is the angle of a old 350, lt1, and ls1 the same...

is there an accepted angle of v8s and if so what is it? is the angle of a old 350, lt1, and ls1 the same? how about compared to the mopar 360 or the ford 5.0 or anything else?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_GVemj0ebMw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

For a 4-stroke V8, it's 90 degrees. 720 degrees in total (each stroke is 180 degrees, and 180 x 4 = 720).

720 / 8 cylinders = one cylinder fires every 90 deg of crank travel. And if you sit down and work out how to build two banks of 4 cylinders by sticking 4 V-twin engines on one crank shaft (we are assuming each pair of cylinders shares one crank pin) then you get two banks that are 90deg apart.

For futher reading, look up a cross-plane V8 vs. a flat-plane V8.

A flat-plane V8 is effectively two I4 engines sharing one I4 crank shaft. It has one set of advantages, and you usually see them in racing applications.

In a cross-plane V8, each pin of the crank shaft is 90 deg apart from the others. This is like if you took the crank shaft from a 2-stroke I4 and used it to build a V8. This is kind of V8 you find pretty much everywhere.

Now if you want to think about bank angles, IMO the history of a V6 is more interesting because you get all different variations. If you don't want to use a split pin design, most of the time you're going to get a 60deg V6. If you run my earlier math, though, you'll come up with a 120deg V6, and it just turns out you can do it either way depending on how you set it up, and you will in fact find 120deg V6s in e.g. racing applications or something of a similar angle because you can play tricks to get a really low center of gravity, even lower than a boxer engine.

At the same time you have an interesting history of 90deg V6s, because you can do that kind of by chopping two cylinders off of a V8 and then using a split-pin crankshaft or some funny odd-firing design.

And then you also get stuff like the VW's VR6 engines where you have a 15deg bank angle and they do really neat things with those so that it's actualy just one bank of staggered cylinders and then there are neat tricks to be played with intake and exhaust port design, and how to make VVT work.

any odd balls like the VR6 in the v8 world? purple arrow in op would be expected to be 45* on pretty much every v8?

I'm sure there are, but not that come to mind particularly. If you hit up wikipedia, you'll find a whole bunch of neat extensions to the VR6 line up that I think might include a VR8, or at least a W8. There's an X8.

45deg would be natural for a 2-stroke V8. For heavy duty use can find all sorts of cool multi-cylinder diesels, especially for big trucks, trains, boats, etc. Many of these will be 2-stroke, although again off the top of my head I'm not sure if if any are 45deg. Often when it comes to those applications they just ask how many cylinders and use a standard bank angle for the whole lineup to simplify design and production.

thanks appreciate it.

big blocks are the same idea? bbc, hemi, fbb - all 45%?

I don't want to say all, because car companies do weird things sometimes. But I don't recall ever coming across a major automotive 4-stroke V8 that wasn't 90deg (i.e. 45deg in the OP pic purple arrow).

I know of a couple 60 degree V8s

good post thanks

also some 72 deg
all of those are made like V6's - individual cranks for each cylinder rather than shared by two cylinders
picrel is such crankshaft

"natural" angles are 90deg for V8, 72deg for V10 and 60deg for V12

VW W8 comes to mind

youtube.com/watch?v=_GVemj0ebMw

w12 is fucking strange but makes sense from a packaging perspective

>v12 power
>v8 size
>not that far off a w16 in the gayron
THICC spec so everything is overbuilt

what i wouldnt give to whack a huge quad turbo setup on these and make 3000hp

180 degrees

This, for optimum CoG.

This, the W8 is neat as fuck

and the V8 you find pretty much everywhere is a truck engine with lumpy power delivery, and the reason everyone who doesn't want to pretend to be nascar wants a turbo i4

What the fuck about a specific engine layout (A) dictates power delivery and (B) makes something a truck engine or not?

an LS is L I T E R A L L Y a truck engine, in that it is from a truck, sorta like how you could call the mazda meme dorito an "RX7 engine" or "RX8 engine" in that they are from the RX7 or RX8

>
>an LS is L I T E R A L L Y a truck engine, in that it is from a truck, sorta like how you could call the mazda meme dorito an "RX7 engine" or "RX8 engine" in that they are from the RX7 or RX8

But the LS was never in a truck, the equivalent in a truck would be LQ. The first year of the LS was in the Corvette, then the next year they added them into F-bodies.

Pretty sure new smallblock architecture debuts in the camaro or corvette. Is that really your only argument? Do you understand nothing about bore and stroke, cams, etc?

>it's another "2 valves per cylinder and pushrods = truck engine" episode

Also note: at 180deg you have a choice between a shared-pin flat 8 and using a boxer design instead. Tradeoffs, tradeoffs.

But once it's 180deg, now you almost definitely have headers on the underside, limiting how low down you can place the heads and crankshaft. If you also have an oil pan down there no biggie. But if you're running dry sump then you might work out a lower CoG with lesser bank angle so that the headers on the bottom of the heads fit alongside the crank shaft. Basically, what you've done is take a 180deg design and pushed the crankshaft down even lower while making the whole engine narrower. This is what I meant earlier about some neat V6 designs in and around 120deg having been chosen for CoG concerns in certain racing applications.

Whatever makes it into an f8

The angle of the vee has nothing to do with the firing order dumbass.

I said nothing of firing order. Just that if you want even firing 4 stroke on a shared crank pin with a V8 then that dictates a 90deg angle.

Perhaps I should have said multiple of 90deg to be more technically correct, but 180deg is flat and 270deg is an upside down 90deg V8.

The LS and LT debut in the Corvette then move to the camaro.
They are sports car engines.
The trucks get iron block LQ engines

90° is the norm because it results in a natural balance with a cross plane crankshaft.
V8s with other bank angles are either based on either engines, meant for a compact/oddly shaped engine bay or simply a strange design by the manufacturer

Lol he's a idiot mate because the ls has always been a race ready engine

All V8's should be 90 degrees.
Only retarded faggots do 60.

Have the GAA, a low revving, 60* DOHC meant for tanks.

1100 cubic inches of goodness, and finding its way in M4A3 tanks, among others

On variant ended up in the 90 ton T28

Wonder what one could do with a little boost

It was also used in the M26 Pershing, but was rather disappointing there due to the heavier weight. Some of those were rebuilt with the Continental V-12 and called M46. Oddly enough though, the slower, underpowered M26 could climb hills better than the M46,

that has a lot with gearing and transmission to do. Good example is the churchill tank. Slow, but could climb very steep hills

For the most part, the M46 rebuilds were better than the M26 in every way, but for some reason, they just couldn't do the hill test.

"3) Hill climbing tests.

Both M26s made it to the top of the 60% slope in about two minutes twenty. The M46s got about this far.
Doubtless the hearts of the evaluators stopped. Fortunately, it turned out that it was just oil from the engine crankcase finding its way into the fuel system at angles. However, the root problem still remained: The tank couldn’t get up the hill due to a lack of power."

>and the V8 you find pretty much everywhere is a truck engine with lumpy power delivery
>a lumpy power delivery