Should I be a normie and use a prebuilt budget planner excel spreadsheet, or should I be a man and build my own?

Should I be a normie and use a prebuilt budget planner excel spreadsheet, or should I be a man and build my own?

How do you guys manage your money?

makeuseof.com/tag/10-helpful-spreadsheet-templates-help-manage-finances/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0nbkaYsR94c
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>How do you guys manage your money?
i just put it all into ethereum

Im not asking about investing, just about keeping track of your cashflows.

Why do you need to keep a budget? Just don't buy stupid shit you don't need.

Im more just trying to keep track of how much money I am making and spending. Im also studying accounting in school so there's that.

This desu. That and don't leave a balance on your credit cards.

My wife and I make a combined >300k per year and don't need to track a budget because we're both fucking stingy fucks.

Why do you need to keep track of money? If you don't blow your money on stupid shit and don't live paycheck to paycheck then it doesn't matter.

>Im also studying accounting in school so there's that.

Learning Excel doesn't hurt. On the contrary, most offices love their "excel wizards" i.e. someone who understand how pivot tables work.

Here's a good learning resource:

youtube.com/watch?v=0nbkaYsR94c

Exactly, Im also kind of trying to learn excel in the process.

I mean I understand the whole "dont buy stupid shit" thing, I get it. I just think it would also be beneficial for me to learn how all of this cash flow works in my personal life, especially once I start investing my money and making interest,

>Should I be a normie and use a prebuilt budget planner excel spreadsheet, or should I be a man and build my own?

Well, that's up to you, isn't it? I built my own because I like to know how a spreadsheet works. I usually don't trust the work of others. I'll happily include formulas once I confirm they do what they're supposed to do, but almost never complete spreadsheets. And honestly... finding a bunch of templates, downloading them, comparing them, figuring out how to tailor them to your needs - that's probably more time than you'd spend on building one from scratch. I don't know, I've built some spreadsheets for business and tax purposes. Private expenses are really really tame in comparison.

Privately I only track expenses and I use custom categories to see at a glance how much I spend on housing, food, entertainment, etc. Also a good way to sort extraordinary and one-time payments from the regular stuff to see whether you would have stayed under budget without the odd stuff.

Keeping a ledger of expenses is really helpful. Apart from the financial aspect it helps you really easily find dates, shops and receipts in case you ever need them years from now.

What's wrong with just using Mint?

I kind of like this, keeping track of something simple and straightforward instead of your entire world of income and expenses.

>Also a good way to sort extraordinary and one-time payments from the regular stuff to see whether you would have stayed under budget without the odd stuff.

Thats something else I was having trouble with. Because that would put your budget in the negatives even if you have been saving for that one time payment for a long time.

It definitely will be. I did a lot of pet projects while in college. You'll get practice working with tools and data and that's pretty valuable

>How do you guys manage your money?
I don't waste my time tracking my spending when it's my earning that matters.

>not using a sql db

Really though I have my own spreadsheet, reason being it's completely tailored to myself and I have a better understanding of each transaction than I get from just the bank statement.

What I do:
>sheet for money spent, monthly, with categories and comment field. Doesn't include investments like BTC or to Roth IRA. This is really the most important and biggest pain in the ass, but it's worthwhile as it conveys more information than just my bank statement alone.
>sheet for income (after tax)
>sheet for vanguard roth and another for brokerage, within these track money in and out of specific funds. Funds may cross sheets and I track it may have come from checking, but I don't have a sheet for my checking account.
>sheet for BTC and ETH. Track buy in and which exchange it was sent to (if any). This I need to find a better way of doing, I don't account for gains or losses on other shitcoins (losses mostly) and have no way of accounting gain or loss selling BTC for USD. No idea how forex people keep track of all this
>sheet with some notes about monthly expenses and how much should go to each account/category (fun, savings, meme investments, etc)

None of my formulas are super fancy, just getting totals and averages. I don't even get statistics by categories even though I keep track of it.

Requires you to disable 2 factor auth I think.

Vertex42 spread sheets

They got everything desu.

Also who here use /libre office/ instead of microjew shit?

This is a really good video.

Have you tried using Intuit Mint

GNUcash works well for basic budgets. It's easy to setup and you can customize it to your needs.

So you can estimate how much longer until you can be a NEET

GnuCash

Im currently playing with GNU Cash. It's a super cool program. I may or may not use it as my go to financial planner. The unfortunate thing about free software (such as GNU Cash and Libre Office) is that knowing how to operate them isnt sellable to employers, because they all use mainstream software like quickbooks and excel.