Opinions for the 2019 ranger in the US?

Opinions for the 2019 ranger in the US?

-will probably cost similar to full size trucks
-big as older full size trucks
-looks like the chevy colorado
-does everything against why the old ranger was so popular
-whats the point?

Other urls found in this thread:

socialprogressindex.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0OGD7bHh2AIVlSy9Ch1SuQJqEAAYAiAAEgLBJfD_BwE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>cost
Pretty sure base ranger will cost a bit less than a base f150.

>size
You literally don't have a choice, it can't get any smaller with the new regulations. It's not Ford's fault, blame lawmakers.

>look like a Colorado
I don't see it.

>does everything against why the old range was popular
Old ranger was popular because it wouldn't die and was small. This is small when compared to to today's standards and we don't know the reliability of them yet.

>What's the point
People asked for it.

>wife's truck

No MT, too much shit that will break, don't last more than 10 years. No thanks

It is a shame, do regulations halt companies from putting out very low priced basic vehicles anymore? I guess it would cut into their flagship sales. Unfortunate that no company in the US can put out a cheap little truck with basic accommodations.

diehard ford guys who want a midsize will buy it on principle, as will people who dont know cars, but toyota and GM will remain the segment leaders. i'm betting the ranger sees sales on par with the frontier

Late to the party, to similar to current availables, biggest stimulator will be price and available models/trims.

its insane how they keep making trucks bigger

You can make it smaller, that's silly to say

Its gonna flop. The market is over saturated as it is, and the tacoma is clearly the best midsize.

The smaller the vehicle, the more stringent the fuel economy regulations.

That's why the regular cab Tacoma is dead and why GM and now Ford haven't even bothered releasing one.

The only really strong opinion I have, is that it for sure does look like a Colorado.

>it can't get any smaller with the new regulations
It has nothing to do with regulations. Small trucks just don't sell well enough to justify the cost of making them. Cars much smaller than mid-size pickups exist today while still meeting regulations. There's nothing stopping a company from making a small truck.

>that smug tacoma

>don't know the reliability of them yet
This is the same as the international-model rangers that have been around since 2010 or 2011 when they died in the US.
The US won't get it's own offshoot of the ranger for another few years. Until then it's just the international model

christ that thing on the right is hideous

>There's nothing stopping a company from making a small truck.

Yeah there is, it's called no one buys the damn things and then they get dropped from the line up.

The bigger mid sized trucks are selling, and that's why everyone is jumping on the bandwagon. Single cabs and manuals? A few thousand at best per year and they would never recoup their costs.

Everyone said the Colorado would flop too, and they sold only a couple thousand less than the Tacoma did. That's pretty damn good given the Tacoma's reputation.. and the Colorados past history to boot.

I want it with the 3.2L i5 Duratorq so bad it hurts.

>AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

>ECOTOOT BABBY ENGINE

>NO DIESEL OPTION

>NO MANUAL

It literally does nothing better than the Tacoma or Colorado. It has no reason, or right, to even exist. If you're going to buy a neutered pickup truck of this size and utility, you might as well buy a new Ridgeline and get the insane reliability + a VEE SIX engine.

They are all over the place in thailand slammed to the ground on knockoff TE37s. I want one so bad.

It's more of the continuation of the Explorer Sport Trac than the Ranger imo, at least that's how it seems. I think it's a step in the right direction (mostly because I hate Rangers with a passion), but I'm pretty cynical about new cars in general and their long term reliability. I wouldn't be surprised if half the cars made today are still on the road 15-20 years from now, and that's including the new ranger.

I feel sorry for you Americans.

Yeah me too, they don't have access to a proper Hilux and instead have to suffer with a shitty Ford Ranger.

I thought America is all about freedom?

That's what they like to tell people.

>small trucks don't sell well

then why do I see a million older rangers driving around every damn day? face it, people like small trucks

Until it comes to cars, really. Depending on the state, guns are pretty heavily restricted as well.

When theyre cheap with decent motors they sell. Otherwise theyre just crossovers with less seating.

The new crop of "1/2 tons" will kill these off again.

rangers never had great motors, but they were always reliable and cheap

Well, that's why that user said "decent" not "great"
They just won't die. I've personally seen rangers with over 300k miles on the original engines. No ticks, no knocks, and they start right up.

in my opinion the colorado is better than the tacoma except for its looks

Why though? I haven't looked much into the new colorados, but their legacy so far from last gen is garbage.

Bullshit. The Colorado's and Tacoma's get almost the same mpg as the big boy trucks unless you get the 4cyl.

Yeah but look at who drives Rangers and look what they're used. 90% of them are driven by old ass boomers who maintain the fuck out of them and haul a bag of peat moss once year. They're mostly used as cars.

Not him but the Colorado is like $8k less, has more hp and and 8 speed. The V6 and 8 speed combo is supposed to be solid. I'd stay away from he diesel. The only thing you loose out on is the resale value.

Chevy is being dicks with new purchase incentives on colorados, so is toyota on the tacoma. I want 0 interest like on the full size ones but nope.

>I'd stay away from the diesel
Why? I'm honestly considering one of these trucks and like the Colorado because of the diesel.

Well just going by forum posts and user review vidyas it's not really worth it. Some of the engines are lemons and are nightmares from the factory. If any of the emission systems fail the truck goes into limp mode. They're a lot slower than the 300hp V6 with the 8 speed and really only get better mpg's when towing. The tow rating for the diesel and gas is the same.

Do you think that the advantages of other diesel engines like longevity make it worth it? If I'm going to get a gas truck, I might as well get a Tacoma. I plan on buying the truck new and keeping it until it dies. So at least 8-10 years, maybe more.

>small
Not today, look at all the gay crossovers and "SUV" on the road now.

Take care of a gas or diesel GM and it will last just as long as long as you don't get a lemon. I don't know about the longevity of the diesel as it hasn't been in NA for very long. The DEF/DPF systems scare me a little.

look up how fuel regulations apply to trucks.

it was changed in 2011. Now footprint matters. which is why trucks have become fuckhuge and the ranger was killed off.

fuel economy regulations since their inception and increasingly each decade, overly benefitted smaller vehicles, because it was a flat MPG target for all vehicles. In 2009 this was changed to a case by case basis. Its why you hear things like "best fuel economy in it's class". before, smaller pickups were more benefited than big ones. But since the change, it became the opposite. the more stringent fuel economy on the smaller truck means the automaker has to pass on a larger tax onto the customer for not meeting them, (or for having to spend more R&D on better fuel economy specifically for that model) while the bigger truck doesn't because since it's a large truck, it's targets are 25/15 as opposed to 55/25 or whatever ridiculous target smaller vehicles have to reach. Which at the end of the day, results in the larger truck and smaller truck being around the same price, and given that scenario, people would rather get more for their money, and will go for the larger truck.

toss onto that the chicken tax for foreign trucks, and you have a scenario where the only trucks that the regulations make feasible, are large trucks.

US safety standards require it to be X height and Y weight, technically. It's assumed consumers know when they buy something smaller than a truck.

So we know it's shit.

please tell me theyll have a 4ft bed option with power windows, power seats , and all the Radio and AC buttons will all be on one touch screen that you have to be staring at (instead of the road) to use

i wanna see one of the skinny old rangers between these

Proper Hilux? Y'all pieces of shit are left with an archaic, designed for third world countries truck, while we get the more refined, comfortable truck. Lol I think we win this one.

>No MT
Why do you think anyone would buy one in a US-market truck? Autos are cheap and work fine, if not better than manuals in some scenarios.

The only issue I have with it is the lack of a regular cab option.

If that's true, then I am wrong and I will go to the cuck tent.

Even in countries where diesel is cheaper than gas (compounding the saving) people purchase gas powered vehicles because the modern diesel is a maintenance headache and are ridiculously fickle to anything out of spec. We don't get DEF here but I guarantee if DEF came to the market people would start purchasing gasoline powered dump trucks.

An ST edge, Mach 1 SUV, no more sedans.... whatbthe fuck is this shit brand doing

>ranger

>no single cab option

lmao what were the engineers thinking

I would think it's the sales analysts that would decide if it makes sense to burn money on such things, are they particularly popular compared to say the extended cab?
Is the longer open bed really that much more beneficial than an enclosed storage space? Is there anything you need such a long bed for that you can't just use a bed extender or tie down and put a long payload marker on or something?

>Yeah but look at who drives Rangers and look what they're used. 90% of them are driven by old ass boomers who maintain the fuck out of them and haul a bag of peat moss once year. They're mostly used as cars

That's the point, a DD truck that could do the occasional cargo haul but isn't all that much larger than a car. I.e what most truck owners actually need

Yeah, they've totally missed the point of what made people move the old Ranger.

Instead of another 'midsize' in an over-saturated market, with basically no differentiation from the F-150, they should have released a true compact meant to take abuse and keep on ticking along.

I really wanna park my Veloster in between them and catch both their faces when they walk out and see it.

Will donald trump finally kill all the regulation affecting midsized trucks? Minus the foreign truck tariffs.

I unironically think this looks good.

what? singlecab, six foot bed, low clearance is amazing when all your truck work is done in the city - becuase of parking

Too expensive.
Too big.

But honestly, are there any market or any case for trucks the size of Ranger/first gen Tacoma?

I'd buy one.

Had a regular-cab Sierra for a while and while I really enjoyed the utility and handiness of having a truck, it was just not practical for my day-to-day life, especially where it's impractical for me to own more than one vehicle right now. a """small""" crew cab, even with a short bed, would be ideal for me as a DD (and I'd imagine a lot of people who are realistic with themselves but still want a truck) for the few times I need to cart around my toolbox every now and then or maybe tow a motorcycle.

The vast majority of people who think they "need" a truck probably just need something fitting these parameters, but society and marketing conditions everyone that a true 'Murcan needs the biggest, baddest, coal-rollingest truck available or else their friends will laugh at their tiny dicks. So even though smaller trucks should sell like hotcakes, the average American public is too self-conscious and ill-informed/ignorant to go after it or demand it.

They used to sell like hot cakes. Market regulations made costs tilt the consumer the larger truck. Which is fine for me as my tacoma has hardly depreciated. Hell even my t100 hasn't.

That and it sorta don't seem to make sense to get a smaller truck.

>F-150: 20 city, 26 highway
>Tacoma: 20 city, 23 highway

Why bother, Taco?

I have a 17 Tacoma 4cyl and can confirm this, my father's 15 1500 Silverado often gets better gas mileage. Why live

Reliability i suppose. Not sure how reliable the newer f150s or silverados are. I know the 2000s silverados vortecs are great.

That's like wanting to buy Corolla instead of Mazda3 because it's less efficient and drives like toaster on wheels but it doesn't break down and got that name value.

Wait.

Its like wanting to buy a car that will hold its value and not leave you stranded.

Oh wait.

>But honestly, are there any market or any case for trucks the size of Ranger/first gen Tacoma?
look at the post above yours

I still don't see it.
>If you want something compact and easy to park, Transit Connect is a thing, with bonus of actually being able to lock your shit so nobody can steal things
>If you need more storage than Transit Connect LWB you might as well get that F-150 anyway

i cant haul a single fridge upright in a transit, i dont want to stick dirty shit inside the cab and you cant overstuff a van when the time calls for it. and i would literally lose out on about 25% of parking spaces with that extra three to five feet

What does Veeky Forums think about campers?
>pic related

>Just take care of a GM shitbox
Easier said than done, user. Sure, the engine might keep going like the energizer bunny, but there's more to automobile than the engine.

I'll never purchase another GM vehicle after dealing with my 02 1500. The 5.3 was great, sure, but that's all I have good to say about it.

>Campers
I was thinking something entirely different.

I use a topper in the winter time.

>flareside

Kinda cool if you fit the bed to be a living space but at that point might as well have a small suv. Too much of a pain in the ass to take off and put on for one guy in my opinion

Fuck off Justin.
Hilux a shit.

You don't seem to have understood the small truck market here.

They literally were base model shit boxes that you could actually haul something with.

>buying an American truck
>ever

laughing_jap.exe

>twink_between_two_bears.avi

I had to drive these pieces of shit overseas. What a fucking hunk of shit. There is zero comfort and the ride is terrible.

The absolute state of the foreign car market. But what do you expect from third world standards in Europe.

It looks phenomenal, I hope its not fuck huge.

I think it's a brilliant play on ford's part to push it as a recreation off roader/adventure truck rather than a utility vehicle or a lux-Truck.

I like it!

It's got better hp idiot

Fuckin chicken tax, what good is it anyways

i don't doubt that vw truck is probably more used for work than the other two combined

>designed for third world
>dessigned to be constantly driving on rutted roads in shitty conditions
>therefore it’ll be more durable in normal conditions

>Not a good thing

It’s true Amerimutts aren’t very bright

ford should rerelease the ranchero then. prob wouldn't sell well soccer moms wouldn't like it.;

>while we get the more refined, comfortable truck

This is why you have large vehicles that are shit at being work vehicles as they are designed for pedestrians

Out of all the Western countries, they're last.
socialprogressindex.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0OGD7bHh2AIVlSy9Ch1SuQJqEAAYAiAAEgLBJfD_BwE
At least they get a few trivial freedoms like the right to shoot folk who look different to one another though.

Ive got an 02 1500 and its been great, had some transmission trouble but that was due to abuse. My old man is a retard sometimes.

While running 91 gas, and for about 100,000km, the 2.3 turbo is maxxxed out for power compared to emissions, things living on threads constantly

How does an old man abuse a transmission? Does he launch it or what?

Over loaded the truck hauling hay, and letting my retarded cousins drive it.

They were throwing it in park to slam to a stop.

Then letting a friend replace the transmission, and they fucked it up.
So I had the new tranny replaced again by a transmission shop.

if modern country music was a vehicle, it'd be this

So progressive

>4 cyclinder truck

Just get a car or a truck, not a minivan with a 4 foot bed.

>a BOF pickup with a multitude of cab, bed, powerplant, drivetrain and payload options is a minivan
u r smert