obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

lostgarden.com/2016/11/autumn-of-indie-game-markets.html
youtu.be/cAj31tCImU8
pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for 300mb of backups

Hey guys! I made a pong game from a tut but the ball goes right through my left paddle! Wah!

What tutorial series would you recommend for Godot?

Shitty art = Shitty game

nb4 dwarf fortress and minecraft.

If someone made a well selling game with someones "free art" are they morally obligated to pay the artist a percentage?

Well this thread started with some quality content so far.

I quit this thread

probably a stupid question but is there a limit to the amount of things you can make a npc do? like if you had too many commands would it limit the amount of npcs you can have on a screen at once?

i just wanted to know about backups. holy shit lads.

I'm starting on a trailer. Does this make my game look fun?

The more complicated it is, the less you can have of it.

It's always possible to optimize things though for your specific case, but you probably can't rely on premade solutions for that.

I've wanted to do pixel art (and art in general) and I've finally resolved myself to actually starting on it. What are the least garbage tutorials (or books, preferably) with good exercises for me to do? What should I avoid past the obvious pillowshading/etc? I'm still pretty unconfident so I feel like I need to pick up a good guide or tutorial to help me dip my feet in, even though I really should just "go do it".

Thanks in advance anons.

>"free art"
What's the license? In general I'd say no. Because you're not legally obligated to do so. They put the content out there under a license that requires no royalties, so they really can't complain if you don't pay them.

Giving the artist a low amount is worse than not giving them anything at all, since you are putting a definite value on what you think they're worth, and chances are they'll perceive it as a lowball offer. And people's perceptions of what is a lowball amount and what isn't differ.

If you want to pay them back hire them to do art for your next project.

What is a realistic game for a nobody to start with?

Why do you guys try and one man everything? Games always have art dudes, programming dudes, music dudes, sound dudes, level dudes, etc.

Why aren't you are your friends working together on a project?

With the internet it's easy to find people.

Start off slower, I can't make sense of what's happening since I haven't been able to get introduced to the character or what the game plays like, and instead you instantly threw all these explosions into the screen.

>implying art is part of gameplay
Your game is shitty either way, user.

Where can I find a good course on OOP?

Looks like ASSet city.

>The more complicated it is, the less you can have of it.
is that due to too many commands going on at once and if so could you have a npc that has a wide variety of commands but only uses a small portion of them at any given time and still have a lot of them? again, probably a stupid question but i'm completely new to this

Start with pong.

We 1MA because:
1. It's a challenge.
2. It's fun to wear lots of hats.
3. We're too fucked up mentally to work well in a team.
4. Even if we're not the other people on the team are likely flakes.
5. We like to be in complete control of the game.
6. We're not yet skilled enough to be of value in a team.
7. Money can lead to some hard feelings if you're trying to sell a game as a team. It's so much cleaner legally for one person to own the company and hire than it is to 50/50 ownership split. See BS for an example, and they even had a contract.

All that said I like to collab with people for jams.

Finding people is easy, working together with 99% of them is an absolute nightmare.

It's no joke when people say your first game should be something like Pong. It's a simple game so you should be able to do it effortlessly. If you think it's too much effort, then you're underestimating the difficulty of game dev, which is what most newdevs do.

>start with pong
YAAAAAAAWNNNNNNNNN
Get back to us when you decide to start making games in the 21st century there are too many good tutorials and lessons that will start you out on a real game to bother with pong. Literally only the kind of autist who buys physical paper books to "learn to code" says this shit.

>Why do you guys try and one man everything?
>Why aren't you are your friends working together on a project?
>With the internet it's easy to find people.
i haven't met a team of people that wasn't intolerable. the majority of amateur gamedevs are either lazy fucks or are insufferable to work with.

Have you considered that the common factor here could be you?

>could you have a npc that has a wide variety of commands but only uses a small portion of them at any given time and still have a lot of them?
That depends on how it works. You'd still need a system that can manage all those commands and different states, and that system is going to get more complicated as you add more functionality.

There's really no one-size-fits-all answer to this because there's so many ways in which you could build your game systems and manage your data. A smart programmer could probably make an object with countless functions be efficient, but likewise a thoughtless programmer could make something very simple be slow.

alright cool thanks

it's one guy trying to shut down the thread

what the fuck is going on/10

Shit, posted in wrong thread.

Just reporting in to prove I'm not dead. Progress has been going as smoothly as ever, though most of it is stuff that can't really be shown well. I had to work on an algorithm to spawn the party, which has to account for their position/formation and work in tight spaces as well as open ones. Right now it's just tied to a debug button, you're not supposed to have more than 5 dudes.

where's your game?

Good point. I'll start with something slow then end with shit flying everywhere.

Ever heard of a little game called World of Warcraft

Holy shit. Can I suck your wife's dick?

Faffed about today, added that thing from the mockup from before so floors actually have a divider between them.

I'm about the point where I can actually start making maps, though, rather than dicking around with creating a level creator.

L E R P
E
R
P

sorry, she only sucks her own dick

No, I haven't actually, tell me about it

I know my dude, this is the map maker though.

I've already got a wicked interpolation in the game proper (quint rather than a straight linear thing). Still need to do something for falling, but that's pretty trivial. Think I'll have a bit of a bounce at contact.

this

Alright, I'm working through the Godot tuts.
I've learned simple animation, nodes, and made pong.

Now what?

World of Warcraft (WoW) is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) released in 2004 by user. It is his first released game set in the fantasy Warcraft universe, which was first introduced by World of Warcraft (WoW) in 2004. World of Warcraft takes place within the Warcraft world of Azeroth, approximately four years after the events at the conclusion of user's previous Warcraft release, World of Warcraft (WoW). user announced World of Warcraft on September 2, 2001. The game was released on November 23, 2004, on the 1 minute anniversary of the Warcraft franchise.

With a peak of 12 million subscriptions in October 2010 and user's final report of 5.5 million subscriptions in October 2015, World of Warcraft remains the world's most-subscribed MMORPG, and holds the Guinness World Record for the most popular MMORPG by subscribers. In January 2014, user announced that more than 100 million accounts had been created over the game's lifetime.

Did I mention this was my first game.

juice it up to learn about juicing in engine

Tell me why, as a guy who wants to make money, I shouldn't just make android games for kids that have in game advertisement?

if you want money then why wouldn't you do that. But also a very saturated market.

Everyone else is already doing that and they have teams and funding. But as far as making money in games goes, that's probably one of the better options.

lostgarden.com/2016/11/autumn-of-indie-game-markets.html

the competitions is too huge right now.
your "android games" will get flooded out with all the other shitty games replicas out there.
if you know some "journalists" that can shill the game for you, then sure, go on and make your gold mine.

Too saturated with other people doing the exact same thing.

Too saturated with other people doing the exact same thing AND they all have a decade more experience doing it.

I have a 3 year old and you should see some of the absolute shit games he plays.

He just picks one with a cool icon that either has trucks, dinos, or some shit in it.

Quit trying to make a game you would like to play and make one for the masses so you can get paid.

For the non NEETs, how many hours a day do work on your game?

One of us is working on their game for 30 minutes a day lmao.

I just beat Limbo and I'm genuinely rethinking my entire gameplan.

This absolute garbage has 100% scores from reviewers. This pretentious, game, that's rife with bullshit gotcha-deaths, trial and error gameplay, and literally no story or driving force for the player is still regarded as an incredible game.

I'm genuinely disgusted. If I actually paid for it I'd be requesting a refund.

this one is correct.
It's not about how good the game is.
It's about which game gets the most exposure on google's stores / apple stores.

I have a game idea and I'm determined to make it, more of a hobby project than something to get a lot of money from.

And I need advice about the tools to use. Is it better to go with something like Unity or Unreal Engine or write my own stuff in Monogame or straight in C++? Game will be 2D, so no need for super modern engine.

When animating, I assume it's easier to make legs, arms, torso, and head all seperate sprites, and then animate them somehow with tween or something?

Or should I draw every sprite?

Remember the time that it was released.

Incidentally, what did you think of Inside?

the whole day, but only during weekends

I haven't played it, but I imagine it's exactly the same shit as Limbo.

if you wanted to make money why don't you get a job

You're right.
Know why people say that?
The art.

The gameplay is shit.

>bullshit gotcha deaths
that are juicy as fuck
juice it or lose it kiddo

cris you crazy spic make more of these pls

Godot.
>Open source
>100% FREE
>Ballin' as hell 2D engine
>Easier to use
>About to get a huge update for gravy 3D stuff.

how to do 2d backgrounds if i have no art talent

i'd like to know this too. there's no pixel tuts i can find on the website or pastebins

>cris makes low res pixel art
>like it a lot
Wow he should have been doing this instead of making high res shit he'll never finish in his entire lifetime lmao

Of course... given his previous attitudes towards feedback, no one will be able to sway him either way.

shota is gay

>and then animate them somehow with tween or something?
it's the lazy but fast way
>draw every sprite
It looks better but take you forever.
but if you have simple animations for your character like megaman where you only need a few frames of idle,running,jumping,shooting.
then it's enough to do it this way.

now review your game scope and see which one should you go for.

so never an hour or two on weekdays?

Are you considering moving into that market/ You can't impress people the same way now. Even the pretentious indie press is getting a little tired of that kind of game. IMO Rime is the perfect example, it feels very much like an indie game by the numbers. A competent art team going for the standard indie style, with a game design that feels completely flat. I fucking hated every over telegraphed puzzle in that game.

Inside WAS worth playing for the atmosphere I think.

Well I want to make a simple 2-D platformer and this is my first project, so I guess a few sprites, nothing crazy. Maybe 3/4 frames of animation, simple sprite art.

Is it more like a level builder like Unity or Unreal Engine or can I write code in it?

Well, I don't want to copy the style, but I do think casualizing the fuck outta my game, and making the presentation more pretentious would be a net positive to sales numbers.

>make pong
>congrats you have the basics of moving something with your keyboards and things reaction when colliding
>add left and right movement to pad
>congrats you can now turn it into a zelda clone

Reposting fishy progress
Can have lots of fish now :)
youtu.be/cAj31tCImU8

>you can't write code in unity or unreal

usually no, I just feel like only 1-2 hours is not enough for me, to get me into the zone to be productive

if there was something important coming up like demoday, I might work on it after work hours, but I generally prefer long uninterrupted time set aside specifically for the project.

the fact that it's periodically every weekend helps. I think if I had the chance to work on my game every day, I'd burnout. but working on it every weekend gives enough breathing room for me

There's this classic pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299

That guide only really explains broad concepts and why they're useful. I think what the original user (and I) were looking for is more like, exercises or practices with structure to follow along in. They're easy enough to find online but I don't know if one I pick up from google will end up advocating awful habits.

Which side do you take, friendos?

>video games are not art and never will be
>all video games are art and always will be
>some video games can be called art based on merit

Personally, I don't play gatekeeper. Everything a human being does is art.

then draw the sprite animations directly.
you may just need idle,running,jumping&falling.
at most an additional attack animation based on your game (throwing, waving sword, or shooting, etc)

using skeletons for 2D animation looks weird most of the time.
it should be avoided unless you're trying to save times

It's a complete game engine, that uses GDScript right now, which is like Python.

The next release (next month) will let you code in almost every language under the sun.

Also Unity does have C# programming.

>some video games can be called art based on merit
if everything is art then the word loses meaning

>Everything a human being does is art.
taking a shit is not art.
Art is something that looks cool and is useless

Will do.
Tweening stuff with skeletons looks floaty and weird.

idea guy here

it's like a jrpg but it turns out that the church was the bad guy all along

gameplay is not art
but video games can be art

>Everything a human being does is art.
Not your post though buddy, sorry. It's just some nonsense drivel spouted by someone who probably read less than 10 books in his life.

Is a man screaming "I am not art." art?

Video games are not art. Art doesn't have to be anything. A toilet with a crown of severed dicks on it can be considered "art".

Video games need to be something. Theres interactivity, gameplay, that forces them to be something. They are not art, and never will be. Anyone who says games like Shadow of the Colossus, or some pretentious indie garbage is Art needs to be removed from the gene pool, David Carradine style.

it's not an idea.
it's a story.
story != idea.
idea != story.

>art doesn't have to be anything
>art can be anything
>not vidya tho

kys

I know it's semantics, but I disagree. I think humanity's footprint is art in every last way.

Even
Your own unique turd shapes. Granted, not all 'art' has some inherent worth.

Is it worth waiting for next release if I already know a bit of C#?

Is there any disadvantage to using C# and not their own scripting language?

>Make up gothic horror beat 'em up in my mind
>Realize that no one single man dev has made a beat 'em up with any success.
>Realize I can't even draw stick figures

Guess I'll make some more radical pong.

You're putting too much value on inherent meaning. The word 'art' has no value to it that you need to preserve. It's a word to define a set of things, and that set of things happens to be very large. Anything anyone does with the intention to create creative or artistic meaning and anything that people perceive to have a creative or artistic meaning can be classified as art.

An infinite amount of things being capable of being art does not detract from things that people traditionally see as 'high art' or 'the only arts'. Learning that tomatoes are a fruit does not make the rest of the fruits any less fruitlike and it doesn't make the concept of a fruit lose meaning.

>falling for a term literally invented for money laundering
Stop being such bakas, agdg. """"""""art""""""""" is a meaningless term.

You can if you don't want to learn GDscript, but it is pretty easy.

There won't be any disadvantage, it's all going to C++ in the end anyways. Supposedly there will be containers for all kinds of languages, even D.

art is something that is made to make you feel or think

do video games do that? do they do it intentionally?

>art is something that is made to make you feel or think
Does that mean shitposting is a art?

>Your own unique turd shapes.
If you made shit sculptures that could count as art but just turds is not art, fucking turds of clay are not art, a jar made of clay is art