I assume teslas have instant heat like a hair drier does? Why is warming up a car still a thing in 2018?

I assume teslas have instant heat like a hair drier does? Why is warming up a car still a thing in 2018?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ksHWxU9hcRY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Warming up a car hasn't been needed since the 90's. Cars are fine to run after starting now, if you warm them up theyre just sitting there chugging away in the low rpms which in turn takes longer for the engine to actually warm up. All it does is labor the engine. As long as you start driving and don't instantly go above 3000rpm and floor it then that's actually better for the car because it'll warm the engine and oil quicker and get everything lubricated quicker. Having it just sit there at 700rpm takes longer and theres dry unlubricated parts going back and forth for an even longer time, its stupid.

tl;dr boomers ruin everything and warming up cars is an antiquated way of the past

by warming up i mean hop in my cold car and have hot air blow out of the vent with seconds than 5 minutes.

Because it's fucking dumb to have a discrete electric heater for the cabin when you can just funnel heat in from the engine which is not that efficient anyway.

i guess anyone that doesnt get it hasnt gotten into a frozen car and sat there hating life for over 5 min just to get luke warm air which is now needed to blast at the windows. if youre late for something and jump into a cold car, youre in trouble.

was just wondering why its not an option to have instant heat in 2018. and was curious how the hvac, specifically heat, behaves in a tesla.

Tesla doesn't have engine. It needs a separate fucking electric heater, which happens to be instant-on because it's basically your space heater except installed in the car.

Tesla doesn't use engine heat because it CAN'T.

Rev your engine a bit and cycle your air ASSHOLE it'll get warm quicker

>frozen car and sat there hating life for over 5
You need to get a remote starter installed

ever heard of liquid cooled electronics?
it would be possible to design in but probably not worth the extra complexity

>talking about instant heaters
>suddenly talking about liquid cooling electronics?

sir what are you doing

op here, just wondering why no modern car comes with the option of instant heat.

agreed. im confident on installing one myself but get overwhelmed with choosing one.

And we answered for you. Go away.

Honestly, I don't know. Electric heaters are cheap. Having an electric heater warm the car before the engine warms up enough to take over should be a no-brainer, especially in very cold climates. I predict many people would pay a little extra to have the option of instant heat.

no you didnt.

why is it i can put an inverter in my car and plug a hair drier in for instant heat after i start the car, but that same idea cant be built into the dash, standard, in 2018-30?

Jesus fucking christ.
See:
Also, car companies are cheap and they'll try to use as little parts as possible. And that includes your "oh it's super cheap to install" electric heater parts.

instant heat is a whole new selling point consumers would coin up for. it seems so simple yet nonexistant.

Oh, like heated seats? And steering wheels?

You could just get those instead if you were so keen on instant heat.

Or just get an electric car like you wanted.

The majority of cars don't even have block heaters. The majority of climates don't really need instant heat. Most cars now have heated everything which is good enough for the 5 minutes while you wait for heat.

no this thread is specifically about hvac.

blockheaters like on a diesel?

guise im talking about wanting 90deg air even if its 60 out. instant. not having to wait for the engine to warm up. its 2018.

>Let me be irrational and ask for shit nobody's really keen on because I can't wait for my car to warm up for 5 minutes.

You go and pitch that shit to GM or Fiat or whatever and tell us what happens. We'll wait.

>guise im talking about wanting 90deg air even if its 60 out.

Put on a jacket you pussy. That's like fucking room temperature. Nobody needs instant heat in a climate like that.

because the heater uses engine coolant so it is only as hot as the coolant is.

would you wait 5 min for any other convenience on a commuter? if it was 100 out and ac didnt work for 5 min would i tell you to wear a bathing suit?

how is instant heat so difficult in 2018?

i fucking know how it works, that the point of this thread.

You could literally just add a small electric heater element radiator in front of your heater core rad
It would be a great idea. Knocking the edge off when it's 10 degrees American outside is really all you want, an some anything over ice cold air right off the hop would really hit the spot.
It would truely make morning drives better by a lot, and would realistically cost manufacturers $150 for something they could upsell for $800, and literally everyone would buy it.

It's like talking to a tape recorder. Everyone ignore this faggot.

It's not even 2 minutes for heat in temperatures like that unless you're warming up a 500lb cast iron block. Even at -20f it's only a couple minutes for heat in a modern alloy blocked car.

You'd need at least 500w to make it worth while which takes a lot of battery power, engineering bullshit, etc. It's not worth it on cheap cars. I do recall some German cars having restive heaters.

Because it's a fire hazard.

>2.5kw off a battery to dry your perm
>a good idea
Pick one

>hocking 100amp alt for 150
>a bad idea
pick one

teslas are fire hazards.

The fuck did you even try to say?

I know you're samefagging as OP as well because you have the same shitty typing style. You can't hide your autism.

Actually...my 2004 Renault scenic has an electric heater to provide heat and defrosting when the engine is cold.
And some diesel Renaults I'm the nineties had electric coolant pumps to help circulate hot coolant through the heating core until the coolant was more than lukewarm. And I think they still do it.

Eh, just do as I did OP.

>Looking at block heaters
>Finally decided on a lower radiator setup, 1150 watts
>Thing is probably designed for large diesels, have to reduce the fittings down to use it
>Installed it in my Subaru
>Have it on a timer, takes about 2 hours to get the coolant to ~190f
>The moment the ignition is on the coolant fans activate
>1 hour brings the temperature up to 155f, decided I need a more precise timer
>Bought a new digital timer, 45 minutes and it's at 140f

It's extremely nice to have heat immediately.
>Bought one for the oil pan as well, but it's a lousy 100 watts
>Even with overnight runtime the oil might reach 50f if it's 10-15f outside

Really depends where you live. Unfortunately for me, the car sees a slight load within the first few minutes of driving.

They do. Look at diesel options.

I'm Literally not.
Brush up on your detective work fag.

At 12volts that's 40amps.
So maybe a little overkill.
A 300 watt heater would only be 25 amps which shouldn't be a significant load on a modern electrical system in a car.
I'd imagine it should only be running for 60 seconds or so just to knock off the edge.

>I'd imagine it should only be running for 60 seconds or so just to knock off the edge.
What the fuck is the point, just turn your car on and wait a couple minutes, what the fuck is the problem? Turn your car on and keep it running until you're ready to use it, it'll be hot by the time you're ready, boom. This is all such a load of bullshit just to heat your car up a couple degrees while you wait for the heater to kick on.

I'm riding a motorcycle in January, if your car can physically run, it's not cold enough for you to be this much of a pussy, turn your car on, throw the heat on high, and drive to work. If your commute is so short your heater doesn't kick on by the time you get to work, then it's a short commute, stop being a pussy. If your heater kicks on and warms you up by the time you get to work, then you're warm, stop being a pussy.

Fuck.

There's actually a fix for all of these problems, it's free, costs nothing, and requires no maintenance to your car.

It's called letting your balls drop and stop being a pussy.

These aren't arguments against an electric heater assist in ICE cars.
You can't argue a against a luxury by calling someone a pussy.
This is an unintrusive, simple, cheap, quality of life luxury. And if it fails, it's not detrimental, you just ignore it.

>just turn your car on and wait a couple minutes, what the fuck is the problem?
that is the problem. should be wait a couple seconds in 2018.

/thread
OP IS A FAGGOT

Up here in Canada everyone has a remote starter. 10 mins before work ends all the cars in the parking lot magically turn on.

>I'm Literally not.
>Brush up on your detective work fag.
Yeah, same shitty writing style, user was right you're definitely OP.
Or let your balls drop and stop being a pussy. I can call people pussies on all simple luxuries, because they aren't necessary if you stop being a pussy. I don't even use the heater in my car when it's -10F out, and if I do I have someone in the car with me. It just makes it feel that much colder when I open the door and the cool air hits me yet again.

Maybe if stupid soyboys weren't putting all their money and effort behind ELECTRIC, PEDESTRIAN SAFE AND ECO FRIENDLY options we would have some magical engine that warms up in seconds in 2018.
You're part of the problem kid

>Currently 3f, feels like 2
Couple weeks ago I had to shove cardboard in front of the radiator as it couldn't stay at operating temperature. It was extremely difficult to shift gears at first as the gear oil was extremely thick, with two C's. I don't think you understand the situation. Frostbite can occur within 10-15 minutes on bare skin once you apply wind chill on the coldest days.

IIRC GM has active radiator dampers in their newer vehicles for this specific reason.

Mightybenz posted a picture of it being around -40f the other day in ORG.

Please, come ride your bike here.
>I use to pedal my ass to work in subzero temperatures before I was 16

>I don't use my heater in -10f
Spotted the liar. Unfortunately condensation is a sommabitch in the winter time.

Believe VW has their coolant running through the exhaust manifold to increase the coolant temperature rapidly.

maybe you hardfags should go crank the engine by hand and delete your ac

>Not just push starting your car

I did this for two months in the winter time as I was determined to buy something else instead of dropping $100 on a starter.
>1980s electric carb

I did end up getting a remote starter installed in my car, but if I really think about it it probably wasn't necessary.

Y'all are just pussies. For 6 years I've just gotten into my car and dealt with it - I let it idle for 30 seconds to a minute while the RPM drops and oil circulates a bit and then I go. This is in Chicago where it gets to -10 and -15F sometimes, to boot. The cold doesn't fucking matter when there's no wind cutting you to the bone, and that's exactly what the car protects you against. I also wore gloves so cold steering wheel and shifter were non-issues. It is really not that bad when you're sitting in the car for the 2-3 minutes it takes for warm are to start heating up the entire car, especially since the car warms up way faster if you're driving.

Now if you're in Minnesota or South Dakota and it's fucking -40F outside, OK I get it, but I'm fairly certain that applies to almost no one here.

>Please, come ride your bike here.
I ride every day, and granted I have grip heaters and my bike takes 10 minutes to warm up, you bet your ass I'm still riding.
>tfw on knobbies in the snow

thats because the the heat you get inside is basically the heat coming off the radiator.

Another thing is, people leave it in fresh air mode. It makes it suck up cold air and try to warm it up. Change it to cycle the air inside the car, and it'll warm up a lot faster.

Also, to warm up your engine quicker, leave the heat off unitl you reach operating temperature. It'll happen quicker, and the heat, once on, will melt your face off

>Frostbite can occur within 10-15 minutes on bare skin
So you're too much of a pussy to wait 5 minutes for your car to warm up, but you can go outside BARE SKIN in near-zero temperatures.

Yeah, spotted the liar.
>unfortunately condensation is a sommabitch
Why would I need a heater for condensation? Do you know how long that shit would take? If that were the case in your situation, why the fuck would you need instant heat if you can't even drive the car until it warms up enough to melt the ice?

No one is saying
>Oy gevault! The cold! I can't bear it!
All we're saying is, an electric heater for warm up is a no brainer.
The fact that this thread has turned into a dick waving contest between who's more hard core is stupid.
This lot of jelly bean neck beards isn't hard.

>YOUR IDEA AND DUM AND UR A BITCH
>Btw where I live everyone solves the same problem in a more complex, more dangerous, and it's a much bigger head ache, but it solves the problem slightly better
Sounds like you and everyone you know is a mega bitch baby who can't deal with the cold during warm up m8.

Condensation isn't ice.
When it's cold out, your warm wet breathe hits the ice cold windows and the moisture condenses on the inside of the glass.
The only way to fix this is to either create airflow, like by opening your windows or by using your blower, or by warming the windows up so this doesn't happen. You can even add the bonus drying effect of air-con to have super effective defrosting.

So since you refuse to use heat in your car, do you have defroster lines running through your windscreen? Do you not breathe? Or do you just roll down all the windows and just leisure down the road?

>Another thing is, people leave it in fresh air mode. It makes it suck up cold air and try to warm it up. Change it to cycle the air inside the car, and it'll warm up a lot faster.
While your argument is correct, it's still the wrong way to use a the hvac in a car.
You use recirc in the summer with a/c, you use fresh intake in the winter with heat. The problem with using recirc in the winter is you will accumulate moisture and create condensation.

Yeah, but these rest heaters run on petrol/diesel

Actually, my A2 has a 3cyl diesel and needs the heater to even get into the normal operating temperature

Err.. you don't live in a freezing climate, nor are you driving around in -10f without heat.

You should've at least made an attempt to understand why condensation is a problem in the winter time.

See

Hey let's talk about instant cooling in the summer instead, why doesn't my car have it it burns to live

A/C is essentially instantaneous.
You just need to cycle through the system once to get it cooling which takes a few seconds tops.

What if you turn it off after the engine warms up?

Literally takes minutes of blowing hot humid shit before temperature even starts to dip at all, recirc or not. Taking about 90+ weather and car parked outside for a few hours.

Sounds like your car doesn't work.
It should take seconds.

>Leave car in neutral so it can remote start
>Leave hand brake off so it doesn't freeze on

Well shit, all least with a bit of luck I still have warranty on it.

>He doesn't know electronics can get hot
Wew lad

There's quite a few gas cars that are coming with electric heaters now. Most of the larger lexuses have it as an option for example. Even stuff like the Ford Escape has it.

It's also standard on most mid to upmarket diesels since they take a lot longer to warm up due to bigger blocks and better efficiency.

Also the heater on electric cars is pretty ruinous for the range. Not only do you lose a ton of capacity from the cold, you're also spending hundreds of watts to heat up a poorly insulated glass and metal box. Granted, it's not as big of an issue with the huge 100 kWh packs on the top-end Teslas, but something like the 24 kWh pack in the old Leaf is going to see a massive range decrease.

The levels of inefficiency are not sufficient to provide adequate heat as with a gasoline engine.

Traditional gasoline engines have about 3/4 of the energy lost as heat.

Are you claiming that none of the enegry is lost as light or noise emissions either?

May I refer you to my previous post

>700 rpm
Sir, my car revs itself to close to 2000 rpm when started up cold.

You're all wrong.

youtube.com/watch?v=ksHWxU9hcRY

1. Buy an electric block- and cabin heater (DEFA uses 3-600W for the block and 1500-1900W for the cabin)
2. Plug the car into your house outlet on a timer for the morning.
3. Start each morning with a warm engine block, frost free windows and room temperature inside the car.
4. ???
5. PROFIT
(6. Bonus: you can even add on trickle-chargers for the battery)

I have two of my cars on trickle chargers year round because they get driven 0 to 1000 miles a year. Does wonders for battery life.

Fellow norwegian here. Almost everyone up north use these.

Wouldn't it still use the same percentage of battery in a longer range EV because you're using the heat for a longer time?

I thought that was a cheeseburger on a plate from the thumbnail.

fuck the environment, just warm up my car

My car is the absolute worst for freezing temps, it takes so fucking long to warm up

>2.0 4cyl diesel
>leather seats and steering wheel
>no heat in seats or steering wheel

Still a great car, but heated seats would be a game changer

Why electric heaters haven't been much of a thing; fire hazard, and its more efficient to use heat from the coolant, as then you're taking warmth from the coolant (which is good) and putting it in the cabin. An electric heater would have to draw power from the alternator/battery, and thus its way more inefficient
This has not been the case on electric vehicles, where the heat ofcourse has to be electric - but its also a common reason for fires in those vehicles

Heat pumps are a thing on the new Kia Soul EV (probably more cars also, but its the one I know) instead of the electric heaters you've found in the EVs. Turn it on, about 10 seconds pass and then you're getting warm air. A bit slower than the electric, but its much more efficient & less of a fire hazard. It uses leftover heat from the brakes and other components in the car, transferring the heat to the cabin and the battery

>Cars are fine to run after starting now,
ABSOLUTE horseshit

especially if your in a cold country that has -10 or lower winters

My mom's Prius Prime has a heatpump too. These things doesn't use heat from the brakes and other components. It utilizes the same principle as heat pumps in houses (varmepumpe på norsk) or AC units already in cars: Evaporation temperature of the gas/liquid in the system differs with pressure, and condensing the gas using releases heat from it (heat pump), just as evaporating the gas TAKES heat from it (cold-air AC).

With oil pressure in good shape & oil suited to the temperature it does not really matter if you idle it for 5-10 minutes or if you get in and drive it normally right away. Neither should cause premature wear or damage

High-revving a cold engine however...

Thats what the sales guy told me when I was looking at the Soul EV for my mother. I looked a bit more into it and cant find anything about the brakes, but the electronics heat stuff appears to be true

It seems unlikely that electronics that have been sitting all night at subzero will produce any noticable heat from the get go. They might have implemented a few liquid cooling circuits to major electrical components that also run to the heater matrix, but it seems unlikely they will produce any noticable heat for the cabin. They are probably great for cooling the components though :)

I had audi a4 with LPG instaled and it heated up like fucking rocket

>I assume teslas have instant heat
Sure, if you want to drain the battery in 10 miles

Look up TeslaBjorn on YouTube. Thai-Norwegian autist and tesla evangelist.
Does all sorts of weird shit to try his car to the limit.

He did an overnighter (6-7 hours iirc) in his Model X with a full battery with heat on. He still had some 300+ km (186 miles) left of range in the morning, iirc

(meaning he slept, keeping the car stationary but on)