What do you know about first gen explorers?

What do you know about first gen explorers?

They were the most popular trade-in during Cash for Clunkers.

Why

1994 2Dr in that same color was my second car. This was about 4 years ago. Man was that thing as piece of shit. Literally every interior panel had snapped out of place. Entire thing rattled louder than an Audi almost. Mine had a blown head gasket and leaking radiator so instead of spending more than the value of the entire thing to fix it, I just put water in it... every time before I drove it. Like it was a steam-powered car.

Lots of people had them and nobody wanted to buy them.

Same thing applies to all used Fords. The resale on Mustangs is pitiful.

Typical early 90's ford engineering

They're cheap and full of rattles and squeaks, the newest of that gen IS over 25 years old, I think a lot of the hate they get is unwarranted. The OHV 4.0 is a decent engine, if you can find a 5 speed one even better. Theyre based of the Ranger platform, They're boxy and pretty fun and capable off road. Lots of upgrades for them as well and they're easy and cheap as fuck to work on.

First car was parents hand me down 91 Eddie Bauer with every option. Power was dismal at best and 4wheel drive was sketchy. At the end none of the doors opened from the outside and reverse went out.

They rattle a lot and can't turn

Oh no a 25 year old 4x4 SUV with the aerodynamics of a brick can't carve the toogay

I hope you're a troll and not actually this retarded

They roll over easy when you are a drug rattled 40ish wetback who is speeding around turns and won't buy new shocks.

Jurassic Park...nuf said

Bro, you haven't ever seen one take a turn over 15.

It's almost fenders on the ground, they had bad issues with flipping. They are legit scary.

quintessential shitbox for beaners or white trash working construction jobs

Ive owned 3 of them. 2 as dailys and one as an off road buggy.

How are you alive?

Super cheap, absurdly easy to fix and upgrade with later Explorer parts. The double visors are something I genuinely wish more trucks had and the 4.0 OHC was a tank. Dana front axle, Borg Warner transfer case, skid plates, and 8.8 rear made from the factory it at respectable when leaving pavement, but not in the realm of a modern Jeep by any stretch. Still, it's a cheap 4 wheeler with good equipment.

The downside is that the interior was hammered dogshit quality wise. Cheaper than cheap plastics that took serious effort to source non fucked up version. Seats are thin and uncomfortable, but replacing them with later gen Explorer or Mountaineer seats is an option. The 4.0 is dangerously gutless on the highway. You will FIGHT the maintain 70 mph. Handling is exciting if that keeping the truck upright is that something you're going to work on. Remember the adage of driving a slow car fast is more fun? Well crank that shit to eleven because this will take genuine skill and focus just to keep up with traffic.

Learned to drive on one. Me mum had one with a 5 speed. Remembered it in a better light than most posters. It was somewhat reliable, she kept it well over 250k, one major issue. Thermostat stuck and busted a piston, dealership fixed it I guess under warranty. New timing chains, and other bits, normal maintenance type stuff is all it ever needed. Locking hubs seems to be an issue, but those are easily swapped. It's damn close to being a truck: live axles, leaf springs, twin traction beams, all the same stuff you'll find on a f150 of the same era. It sits up high, and I laugh at the anons who think it can't corner; no shit; nothing similar could of the time. It's rear wheel drive, it turns fine also. Every suv since then has been refined down into a crossover type chassis or a simple mommymobile. Ford made a basic, capable suv, and it was, and still is, the best selling suv. Many people can't handle a truck chassis on the road. Now we have a car chassis with big wheels and no transfer cases, with bubbly bodies.

Get a second gen with the 302 and a 4r70.

Tovarisch and B is for Build are turning one into a drift car. I am waiting patiently to see it flip over.

One one of these.

It’s fucking great.

I'm glad I got a cherokee for my first car and not an exploder

God she is so sexy...