>digital license plates

The future just keeps getting worse.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rr2jutsJq_U
youtu.be/rr2jutsJq_U?t=109
youtube.com/watch?v=Btv8siWQGDc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just fucking why?
it would be so fucking expensive compared to ya know...
a stamped plate of metal..

>hack circuit board
>modify plates on the go so you're not caught

>Over time, metal stamped license plates deteriorate

and electronic screens dont?

Screens do, the 1s and 0s stored on a server and backed up in the cloud do not.

>we've taken a chunky old piece of metal
yuck
>and turned it into a wonderful digital screen
wow futuristic
>which is actually an internet of things device that forms the heart of the connected vehicle platform
wow the botnet right there in my license plate
>targeted ads
it only gets better
>security? great question
thanks
>it's unhackable (paraphrasing)

youtube.com/watch?v=rr2jutsJq_U

We are basically fucked as a species.

great now tag renewals are gonna cost the same as buying a fucking tablet every year.

unless it comes built-in to the car

>not just buying some arduino and a really cheap LED screen
Changing license plate numbers on the fly will become super easy.

>get tapped lightly by another car
>Body and paint suffer no damage
>License plate screen breaks costing you $300 to replace it

The future is bright

This. Anything digital can be hacked and modded. Renew your own plate tags for free, turn off your plate numbers whenever you want.

People with these kinds of ideas used to get lined up and executed.

>Over time, metal stamped license plates deteriorate

Yeah, in like 4-500k km/20-30 years they they fade a bit.

One little stone in the road and you can get a new digital license plate.

Black people, everyone.

>buy digital plates
>Reverse engineer control signal for screen
>Gut electronics
>Attach homebrew electronics to screen
>Output any plate you want whenever you want.

Or gut the screen as well and place your own.

Gee that's hard.

>Implying any safety or verification method isn't going to be broken on day 1 of release given the power it gives an attacker.

How fucking retarded can we get as a species??

Has built in gps to keep constant track of what speed you are going, so if you ever speed anywhere they will know and send you ticket in the mail.

what's stopping you from stamping your own metal plates?

You gonna change all the VIN numbers on your car too?

they're hellbent on turning a symbol of freedom into rolling prison cells.

>something that needs to be registered and insured and is dependent on fossil resources and that you need to be licensed to operate to begin with
>symbol of freedom
Don't fucking kid yourself.

>implying insurance an registration aren't Jewish inventions of oppression and theft

is that way >

Licenses, registration, insurance and artificially inflated fuel prices are all forms of theft and oppression. Grow the fuck up.

and stay there

>implying unregulated car traffic would ever work, in Somalia or the first world
>telling me to grow up
I'm not trying to talk down the car, it's just not the symbol of freedom you hold it up to be. It's always been regulated and it wouldn't have worked any other way.

Stamping machines are large and expensive, and plates have to be not only stamped but printed over in the exact right way.

> (You)
>You gonna change all the VIN numbers on your car too?

Not every car has the VIN clearly visible from the outside.

Those systems are in place to ensure the driver is financially responsible enough to own a car.

That's complete bullshit, of course.

bikes have a different cost
time
water
food
joint damage
muscle fatigue
saddle rash
pelvic floor damage
wear holes in all but the most durable clothing
not having the ability to carry any useful amount of cargo short of building your own trailer

what is an epic gruelling journey on a bike, becomes trivial in even the most primitive of cycle cars and Kei cars
16 km in less than half an hour ?
>done
30 kg of luggage or anything larger than a foot ?
>ez
your destination is 30 km away
>just long enough to get bored in a car

>It's always been regulated
not really anything like it is now
at the outset the only thing you could do to cause offence was speed past a horse or run someone over
did not matter a shit if your car is a a wreck built from scrap so long as your not a dick

Change everyones plate to your plate

Biking does have its drawbacks, though you're absolutely nitpicking, but my point stands. Given enough time and nutrition I can get anywhere on a bicycle, I need zero licensing or approval for it, and while it's not in use it costs NOTHING.

They're not only stamped but printed too. At least here in florida, they have a hologram of the orange on the plate.

they already have a database for it. this is just redundant

>commenter shitting on it is called harman smith
peak vidya taste

it's funny because I have a motorcycle that was sitting out back in a yard in Alaska for 20 years, no cover or anything, and Im still rocking the original plate that was left on it and the only wear is a bit of fade and paint cracking where it got bent at some point but is otherwise totally legible even from 50 feet or so.
but apparently a digital tablet would still look as pristine as the day it was made so what the fuck do I know I guess

Why
A sheet of plastic is just lighter

>Over time, metal-stamped license plates deteriorate.
And a tablet strapped to the back of your car wouldn't? What are these people smoking to get so excited over something so stupid?

I'm sure being exposed to the elements (and being front mounted) will allow these to stand up superbly well. Mandating these would be an absolute shitshow.

On the other hand, allowing these to be used at the owner's discretion would be neat, as I think they'd look pretty trick on an NSX or an FD or something.

yea they are fine if you don't really have anywhere to be in any amount of time
but impractical for anything other than short trips where even climbing into and starting a car would be an inconvenience compared to just picking up a bike

>absolutely nitpicking
can it exceed 40 kph without hassle
maintain 60 kph over a long distance

or carry any one or more of the following with ease
a weeks worth of groceries
single person dome tent
desktop computer
fragile and bulky items like a computer monitor or flat bed scanner
railway crowbar 6 foot long and 1 inch in section 22 lb weight
refrigerator or washing machine

this is the kind of stuff than bikes can only just do
Morgan matchless super sport or any side car would be a step up

>zero licensing or approval
yep
>and while it's not in use it costs NOTHING.
same with cars
until you get them on the road that is
a bike left for a decade or more will just need tires and oil checked
if not at least some brake adjustment
>tfw bashing a 40 yo dérailleur back into shape

Naw man computers are racist...made by white people and sheeiit

He made a valid point, you moron.

>youtu.be/rr2jutsJq_U?t=109
displaying the number plate is a secondary function

>300
you wish
surprise it's proprietary
that'll be 2000 burgers plus tip

I fully support this. Imagine being able to switch between different with just a touch of a button, that would be amazing.
>inb4 "it can't be done"
Anything electronic can be hacked, especially when there's an incentive like this. Even if that wasn't the case, you could just use the screen and plug in your own device to display whatever you want. The only potential issue I see here is if they install some kind of tracking device and make it mandatory, in that case we're fucked.

>build EMP device for 20 dollars out of ebay parts
>walk around parking lot buzzing everyones plate
>now they're up for hundreds in replacement costs or risk getting pulled over

>buy GPS spoofer
>nuff said

So making plates stickers so i dont have to bolt a flat slab of metal to the curved front of my car is something that simply cant be done yet somehow this shit is an improvement and good to go. the fuck

And when it cocks up it'll cost the same as a Macbook + labor.

God damn that took me a minute to remember where I know that name from. Truly the highest level of vidya taste.

they wont fix it, they'll send a replacement due to arrive in 4 to 8 weeks
in the meantime you'll have to use some old grandpa plates like a piece of metal with letters on it lmao

>implying blacks could do anything other than throw rocks and screech

the best they could manage would be drawing on a different reg with crayons. blacks can barely use computers that are designed with ease of use in mind, something with even minor deterrents would stump them

A new license plate costs $400 here in Florida.

>sorry sir, part is back ordered, should be here in 2 months
>here's a complimentary bus pass

You mean we can have GPS trackers embedded in the plates that track your speed and location at any and all times so if you speed they'll just send you a fine in the mail, making speed cameras obsolete?

cost 12 buck for the standard one up to 19 if you want it shiny

How often does a metal license plate breaks though? This on the other hand is a fucking screen, you could break it by just driving around a road with little pebbles in it. It's absolutely retarded.

30 bucks flat in british columbia

The best part is that it's so fucking stupid I could see them pushing it.

Why?

If a criminal steals your car, it'll be the first thing they remove, meaning it literally only applies to law-abiding citizens.

what if you turn the car off, do they still light up and take power ? or do they turn off thus leaving your care without plates ? this is fucking stupid, another solution to a problem that didnt exist

Exactly what I was thinking. If so many people are given this, someone will eventually find a way to hack it and modify it in some form.

>Targeted ads

Neat, so the cop knows where the closest doughnut store is after he's finished bending you over.

>Chunky piece of metal
>It's no more than 2mm thick
The fucking screen will be 10 times chunkier than sheet metal. Good luck making a screen as nice as this.

>metal stamped license plates deteriorate
>so lets replace them with e-ink
That's retarded.

You're aware you can already print out a fake license plate and put it on your car, right? License plates have no real security features in most states.

>heavily implying this
You can't renew your own plate from the comfort of your home and get a legitimate number. The government still has control over issuing plate numbers.

>/pol/tard thinks there are no niggers who also have interests in computers

Fucking how?

Plate, registration and title

>You're aware you can already print out a fake license plate and put it on your car, right? License plates have no real security features in most states.
Except if you live in a 1st world country and you need to provide your registration so someone can print it for you.

That's registration you fucking idiot.

What a fucking scumbag.
The sad part is he isn't even a very bright scumbag, or isn't trying very hard for his scam.
Either way, if this has been talked about at all or has any backing in state politics its only due to his connections.
He's trying to sell a more fragile, expensive, and vulnerable version of a license plate with absolutely no benefits to it.
Any electronic tracking, ads, etc could be done by other means without increasing the production cost of an essential part of automotive registration that lasts forever and just requires a new sticker every year in some states.

Its a predatory idea and going as far as bringing it to a tech show to showcase it shows the lack of human decency that the owner of that company has. Literally trying to find a way to drain money from tax payers by selling them garbage and FORCING them to buy it.

you're a moron. the plate itself is like 20 dollars. Go order any fancy plate you want, that's what it cost. What you're paying for is for the registering of the car.

Haha fuck off they barely degrade at all. My mothers car has the same number plate that it had when it rolled out of the factory in 1937. My car has the same plate it’s had since 1968.

People clearly don't understand what this means

There's going to be a government mandated computer chip inside your car, gone will be the days of VINs and Registration, if a car is driving without a legitimate and readable chip it will be immediately obvious to everybody. These chips will be able to track and automatically fine people

All these tards saying "If it's electronic you can hack it" clearly don't understand what this means.

The first place these will be mandated is Ontario. The fastest deteriorating license plates in the world

>EMP
you don't know wtf you're talking about
just buy a $5 hammer, or hell. pick up a rock, and you can cause the same damage

>Display advertisements when the vehicle is parked
bootlickers will defend this

youtube.com/watch?v=Btv8siWQGDc

I’m in the U.K.

Is that true? Weather conditions the leading factor?

Welcome to the future of aut/o/motive, lads. Sooner or later, our cars are gonna be taken away (or maybe not) and will be replaced with stupid autonomous cars that you can't control on your own. Manually driven cars will be outlawed and you'll be stuck with boring autonomous cars. We are at that point where tech has become our true frenemy.

Get ready for a grim future, Veeky Forums.

>You gonna change all the VIN numbers on your car too?
How are they going to see your VIN number in a police chase? Best case scenario for the cops is that it is in absolutely tiny letters on the corner of the windshield.

I thought Cooley was our guy?

Also it's coming to Florida.

this

Uhh yeah I don't think a digital plate would last 20 years, if it did it would be like the Gameboy right now

On the other hand we have to embrace these changes. If it falls ohwell.jpg

Cooley is a tech nut. Not surprising that he'll support something like this.

I'm a bit neutral with this idea. It's a cool concept, but what if the worse case scenario happens when some nut hacks my screen and plasters it with some retarded shit or just vandalize it by breaking my screen? I can get it replaced, sure but it's just something that comes to mind.

Anyway, it's a neat idea. Might look more into it.

>i hit de plate wid a rock xddDD

He said it had an accelerometer in it and that it displays ads while your parked goy

When your cars off it displays ads and drains your battery

It's connected to the internet at all times.

So we can display ads on your car goyim

Manual cars won't even be outlawed they'll just make it such a fucking pain to drive that you might as well buy a fucking auto one. You'll have this stupid fucking plate sending you a ticket every time you go slightly over the speed limit and your insurance will be through the roof because, driving yourself is such a big risk goy.

Fuck this gay jew world

what would enthusiasts do in such a grim dystopia?
move to shitfuckistan countries where nobody gives a fuck about how fast you go?

>few simple mods crowd now charged with tampering with government documents, espionage, hacking.

Wew lad

t. fudds who think that hacking is like that scene in Jurassic Park

Cant wait to stroll through parking lots with a golf club, itll become a trend quick enough

because waste, although these would be 10000x more harmful to the environment than just melting down the old plates and casting new ones

You're a retard, you'd be better off with a strong magnet.

but why?

>What are these people smoking to get so excited over

The prospect of selling a minimum of 253 million tablets (probably more, but i'm not familiar with how many US states require two plates), plus probably half that number again every year in replacements.

Even at 100 bucks a piece and assuming each car only has one plate, that's 25.3 billion dollars right off the bat with a literal captive market.

>what would enthusiasts do in such a grim dystopia?
>move to shitfuckistan countries where nobody gives a fuck about how fast you go?
Fuck, yes. I would start seriously making plans as soon as they would announce that shit.

>He says this every time a government body does anything
>Never does anything about it, never moves

>tfw jews will make ameriburgers watch commercials on license plates as they're stuck in traffic

yeah all true and such, but electric cars is still the way forward. In the future simple electric cars without all the gadgets will come and nothing will be them reliability wise