Sup, Veeky Forums, I've got an extremely dumb question. I live in England and have driven manual all my life...

sup, Veeky Forums, I've got an extremely dumb question. I live in England and have driven manual all my life, I'm going to Canada later this year and I'm gonna rent a car, and as far as I can tell I can only get an automatic. Is there anything about driving an automatic that I wouldn't know about.

Its literally called automatic, you should have no problem from transitioning between the two platforms.

Only two pedals, if you can fuck that up somehow, then God help Canada

You can't find a single manual rental? Quite a few Leafs still drive stick, at least compared to US/Asia.
You'd have to be retarded to have trouble with an automatic, just don't instinctively reach for the clutch and end up slamming the brake pedal. The car will creep forward if you take your foot off the brake while in Drive.

D for when you want to vroom, P for when you dont want to vroom. Pedal controls level of vroom

Left foot shouldn't do shit.
Put it in D and drive, don't change unless you are parking or reversing.
Don't rest your hand on the gear lever (if there is even one). Some people have changed gears while driving.
Left foot shouldn't do shit.

dont reach for the clutch as you're about to come to a stop. I did that once in an automatic car.

You can leave the car in drive at red lights with your foot on the brake, dont bother shifting into netural. Park is generally sufficient for holding the vehicle, handbrake is not required.

Probably not enough people wanting to rent a manual. Im not all that surprised desu

plant your left foot on the dead pedal

also even if you subconsciously took your hand off the wheel to shift it would probably be your left hand so you won't fuck with the shifter

I know that it should be easy, but I just want to make sure that there isn't some weird thing that I wouldn't know about.
I've only looked a little bit, but all the rental places I've seen only have automatics.
ty

Leaf here.

Other than a select few exotic-type car rental places, its almost impossible to find manual cars for rental purposes.

Don't be afraid to brake stand that fucker at every green light.

you will be fine. my cousin came over from the Czech republic to visit us in the US. he did just fine but he was frustrated most by wondering what the hell to do with his left leg while driving.

Ever drive a golf cart? It's the same.

Maybe in Northern Canada where all vehicles are diesel can you find a manual.

They won't start if you leave them in gear. There's a little switch or something in the transmission that prevents the starter motor engaging while not in P. I once borrowed an auto for a week and for the first few days I had to start it by jumping the starter relay.

For crappy rental autos, don't be surprised if you find that you are unable to maintain a constant speed, even if you use cruise control.

It might suddenly make sense why half the people do that and don't even seem to notice.

>dont reach for the clutch as you're about to come to a stop

First time I drove an automatic I stomped the brake pedal rolling up to a traffic light thinking it was the clutch, and almost causing an accident

Idk the brakes are different in automatic. They are much more sensitive. They wear out faster. So make sure you know where your braking is at

The most important thing to know is that the car will begin to move forward immediately after you release the brake, without any gas, when it's in Drive.

make sure to turn off the car in "R" it's rest mode and it helps it recover better in colder climates like canada

Yes

>Don't sit in gear/drive for a long time in traffic or idle
Wears out the pump and torque converter but it's a rental so u won't have to worry just don't overheat it in the touge
>Muh drags
Hold brake pedal and built up some revs about 2k should be good then let off brake pedal and Bam Bam Bam cunt

What else ah yeah turn traction control off by pulling abs fuse or equivalent usually it's just a button but most rentals are in valet mode and have it hardwired programmed on in the ECU

Learn about torque converter slip and stall

Uhhh

Bout it manual mode is a joke especially with modern slushboxes

>>Don't sit in gear/drive for a long time in traffic or idle
>Wears out the pump and torque converter but it's a rental so u won't have to worry just don't overheat it in the touge

Since the torque converter is connected with the crankshaft, what will putting the autobox into N achieve?
Do enlighten me...

Not to do with an automatic but 3 things you should pay attention to:
15kph over the limit is the actual speed limit, except in 40 zones
People are horrific pussies when driving usually, not taking turns, taking 60secs to change lane, etc
Don't drive in Brampton

Takes pressure off the pump and fluid passages and stops the oil from overheating which happens alot in automagics

It has to do with the torque converter fluid, your car will still try to push on the brakes when stopped. This will cause more wear than otherwise, but it's an uncommon practice to shift into neutral at stops

It's dull as fuck.

Watch out as a lot of autos have retardedly large brake pedals and your initial reaction when stopping is going to be to put your foot on the clutch, and the clutch is fast on slow off whereas the brakes are slow on fast off so you will come to a mighty fast stop.

It's a rental so fuck it.

Ignore N. No normal person uses N. Some people prefer to put it in P if they have to wait a long time in traffic or at a light so they don't have to keep their foot on the brake the whole time. That's it.

It's designed to be driven by retards, not people who know a single thing about how it works inside.

You'll be fine. Try to get a decent car. Recently drove a 300C for a week and it was quite adequate even in automatic.

Dis.

I've heard nice things about those. I'd strongly consider renting one, but somehow rentals always only have the dreariest things available when I need to rent.

It was fully loaded. Throttle response wasn't the greatest but as a commuter car/family car, it was very good. Unfortunately, it's a Chrysler.

>Unfortunately, it's a Chrysler.

Yeah but you dont have to own it and deal with the nightmare reliability so it's a perfect rental

>Perfect rental

I 100% agree

nigga its a rental.
do sick burnouts and handbrake turns in it.

And when you return it and they ask you to circle any damage, just circle the whole car.

>quite adequate
That's as close to praise as it deserves.

>I once borrowed an auto for a week and for the first few days I had to start it by jumping the starter relay

Some people look at the normieverse and wonder why all the normies play by all these silly made-up rules like you can't just jump the starter relay and save yourself the trouble of trying to figure out why the car is being such a faggot.

Whatever it is, beat on it. The last time I had a rental, every light was neutral drop, handbrakes turns more often than not, and redlining the cold engine every time I started it. Upon returning it, I filled it with regular gas even though it wanted premium.

It was loaned to me by the insurance company of the bitch that totaled my car. When I returned it, all the tires were bald and it had rock chips all over the paint. I never gave them my insurance info so they had to pay for all the damage I did.

you should be more worried about driving on the other side of the road

brits have caused fatal accidents here before by forgetting

It's not our fault you got cucked by the French military and we didn't.

When I went from a manual to an auto I found myself always reaching for the stick when i would be making a right hand turn from a dead stop

Seems like you're just a disrespectful fuck.
Wasn't the insurance companies fault that the girl is a bitch and an idiot. Be glad she even had insurance.