Buying a car with over 200k miles on it

>Buying a car with over 200k miles on it
Do people actually do this?

I mean if you buy it for a good price and body and paint is mint, technically you can throw 3.5k and re do he entire power train and suapension. Then you dont have to get into debt and buy a new shitbox.
I have done rear end tranny and will do an engine swap in my shitbox soon. The 6.0 meme with heads and cams. Truck was 4k 1k built tranny, 400 for rear end rebuild, and 1.8 for a 60k miles cammed and heads. Pishing about 430 to wheelsn win win if you adk me. Then again this would only apply to car bros like my self.

>this

Also some engines are perfectly solid for upwards of 350k if you don't hoon the shit out of them

Suspension and diff are the main things that have to be replaced past 170k

Beyond that just seals and gaskets for the engine if it was an older person's car

They do if it's a Toyota.

Some guy bought a 300k+ IS-F and besides basic maintenance for things that had worn down as expected, it runs perfectly.

I was tempted to buy a 2003 mini cooper s with 200k miles for 4500 euro's. but it still had the original transmission and over 5 owners. so in the end i did not do it

My car's got 265 or so. Runs like a top, I still take long trips. Still haven't had a problem with it I couldn't fix myself, never been to a mechanic.

Boi my car will trigger you then

>Body has 530,000+ speedo stopped working at some stage
>engine is 130,000 km young
>diff is 200km+
>gearbox unknown kms like body

Toyotas really are hard to kill

As my first car I bought a special edition 1997 Saab 900 turbo coupe with 260k km on it from its second owner that was an elderly German fella. Two years later the ABS is shutting off and the clutch is slipping a bit. And I'm not surprised because of how I'm driving.
If you take a good care of the car, it will go forever.

200.000 miles = ~ 322.000 km

Ups.

Depends on how autistic the previous owner is and how well he autistically maintained his car. I've seen a 300,000 mile imprezza that a guy had rebuilt 3 times and basically kept it looking brand new

I'd buy a pre-ford volvo with 300+km's on it.
at least i'd know the engine would be in good running condition.

if e30's are your thing, it would be hard to find one with less than 200k

Yes
>Needed a winter beater since Miata would probs rust from all the dam salt
>Find this
>1990 240 DL wagon
>260,302 miles
>$460
>Check engine light for evap leak
>legit perfectly fine besides that and some cosmetic damage
>Drove it from CT to Boston and back going about 80 mph the entire time and had 0 issues
>RWD so it's a slow snow driftu missleu
Best $460 I've ever spent, i fucking love this swedish stallion

Yes. Because I'm not stupid and know how to pick the right high mileage cars with meticulous owners looking to sell because they bought a new car. All of my daily drivers have been 200K+ mile cars.

Dont worry about paint. You buy one with a nice interior and straight body. Those two things will always tell you how well maintained it was. Look the entire car over mechanically too. Look down the oil cap, check for sludge or excessive blowby. Pull the transmission dipstick, check for burned fluid or debris. Take it up to highway speed. Monitor all gauges.
Take it home, do whatever minor repairs it needs and enjoy your cheap reliable shitbox.

You don't buy from shantiqua who never changed the oil and trashed the interior. And you never pay over two grand.

Fuck morons these days I swear. This is basic fucking intuition.

Yep, bought a 94 Accord wagon with a 5spd tranny(ultra rare) and near perfect interior but minor door and hood damage.

Previous owner informed me that the odometer had stopped working for about a year, milelage read 193k but he said it was probably close to 205k-220k.

Swapped some nice doors and hood from a donor car, soon the engine from donor car(165k miles) will be installed.

Also bought a Bronco 2, odometer only goes to 99,999 before it resets to 0, reads 36,500 now but who knows, it could be 236k, it could be 336k.

If you're not retarded its easy to find a well-used car that just needs TLC.

Maintain it well and you can easily run a Crown Vic to 300k.

Post odometer.

Where in CT did you find a working car for $500?

I was literally about to ask user that as well. I'm in CT as well lel

My car had 308k km on it. The thing is, from everything that could have gone to shit, the power train is not one of them.
The front left brake seized, rear drums needed a shaving, some bushings needed to be changed, a rear wheel hub bearing and a shock was gone(we changed them all). The biggest problem of all was the 18 year old LPG that was fucking with the whole engine, since half of the wires from the factory ECU were cut and bypassed. After ripping the whole LPG ECU with the all the spaghetti hanging out and after fixing a grounding wire running from the alternator it is basically as good as new.
I suspect the clutch might be slipping and the whole exhaust has rusted, but it's okay for now.

My bet this was in....Coventry. Old UCONN Prof bought this in 1990 new, drove the fuck out of it and had both the loot to maintain it and the loot to buy a new one so he didn't care about letting it go for $500, he just wanted it gone.

>02 WRX with 316k miles on the original engine
>still pulls as strong as ever

Admittedly I have owned it since brand new, and the head gaskets ate it around 120k...

Sooo...it's about due for head gaskets again then?

Just bought a 2003 Honda Element with 220k miles for $500. Jelly? Like literally what’s the point of this stupid car? Awd isn’t even needed in the snow

>have experience in auto repair
>buy 200k+ mile car with no rust
>swap engine and transmission
Is it that surprising?

>Also bought a Bronco 2, odometer only goes to 99,999 before it resets to 0

wow, ford had some kind of confidence in that machine i guess

My parents unironically do this. It's that or public transport. Such is life for lifetime minimum wage factory worker in the belgian caliphate. It motivated me to study something useful at the university, so I'm thankful for their shitty life choices

I have a replacement cluster now but this one still reads almost 300km

Bought a 96 Civic Ex for $450 on Monday.

I have the dash out now lol.

200k. barely broke in for a toyota

200k isn't even a big deal for a full sized American truck, especially a diesel. A 200k second gen Dodge with a Cummins still goes for $12-15k, more if it has a manual.

My dad had a 389k mile 2000 civic that was well taken care of and only went to the scrapyard because it got wedged under a semi truck trailer. Some cars stay around forever as long as you don't ignore your problems like a mong.

It still ran and drove afterwards. He got 2.2k from the insurance company.

Diesels(both trucks and 300td) and hondas(hoondas) are hardly broken in at 200k. My budy has a pilot and crv at 300k+ and they treat those cars like hell

>buy a 300'000km beater for 500€
>run it until possible
>I do my own maintenance
>repeat the cycle once the car has become unoperable

you could last a couple of years with a beater if maintained properly, and still pay

basic car maintennce, engine rebuilds and knowledge of prior issues can keep a car running for an eternity

2 years ago I bought a one owner 95 Saab 9000 with 215,000 miles. They had taken perfect care of it and had kept it in the garage. It now has close to 270k miles. I will do a suspension rebuild/upgrade and the outer CV joints need to be replaced. I'll probably just replace the axles when I do suspension upgrade.

When I was younger I bought a 240z that the owner wasn't sure if the odometer had turned over once or twice.

I'd buy a truck with over 200k if Ford 4.9, chebby vortec, or Cummins diesel. I'd buy a m30 engine BMW with over 200k. Would buy a Benz diesel inline 5 or 6 with over 200k.

I mean honestly though even the diff will outlast 200k. Unless we're talking about lsd clutches, but that's just basic maintenance.

Probably more than that, the thing drinks oil at a steady rate (1000miles = 1qt) and I'm amazed the gearbox hasn't died considering the early US WRXs were known for glass transmissions. I've been fairly autistic about maintaining it though.