Hello, Veeky Forums

Hello, Veeky Forums.
I'm currently interested in a vehicle my uncle owns. It is a 1985 Suburban 2500 with the 6.2 diesel. It has a few small issues and around 350,000 miles on it. No big rust, I'm in the south. A/C does not work, wiper and turn signal stalk is broken off. It is a 4 wheel drive. Interior is not in good shape but I dont care about that. Visually it looks about the same as this OP picture. Anything about these trucks I should know? What is a good offer for me to make?

If it runs take it for a drive before you offer anything. The brakes may suck or the 4 wheel drive might not work correctly. (Test IT!) thats and assload of miles and its old. If he's done all the work on the vehicle see if he has records for all the work. Offer 500 if it works. You gotta Jew even your uncle. Work with him on a price from there. He won't respect you if you aren't willing to negotiate..

The 4 wheel drive works and it runs. I've seen it in action but am going to test drive it soon when I get a day off work.

Does it have front and back ac units? Cause those were a bitch to fix. Also the blinker stalk is easy, hell a whole new drive column on those old Chevys is cheap and easy.

the 6.2 diesels are absolute dogs. itll be OK for driving around and shit as is, but if you plan on towing it might be a problem.

It should be alright for me. My current truck, a 95 GMC K1500 sucks too much gas with the 350 and only has room for 2

I'd keep your 95 GMC. Why do you need to go from seating two to seating a small town in your truck?

get your racist honky white ass out of here

Cause I love 80s burbans, and actually do have use for it that I don't have time to explain on my phone.

>My truck uses too much gas
>So I want to buy a decade older truck that's heavier and N/A diesel

This, keep the GMC. They don't make small trucks anymore. If you need to fit more people, just put them in the bed.
>being a niglet

Gets twice my mileage. I get lIke 11 since my truck has 3.73s in the rear for towing.

6.2s were reliable, decent mpg, but weak. Anything under 1k is acceptable. I personally am a fan of the M1093s

Thanks. I'll offer an initial 500 and if he wants any more than 800 I'll try to talk him down. Any more than 1200 and I'll just call it off.

Anyone own one of these before? What should I know before I buy?

A friend has one. It's a beast with no end of "character" or things to tinker with and fix. But would probably survive a nuclear blast.

Try it on the highway. The way his is geared it has to pretty much go all out to maintain a decent interstate pace, and you can feel it running out of steam once you get in to highway speeds.

My current truck does the same shit, if I'm going above 70 it'll downshift to third if I reach a slight incline.

Pffft. You and your fancy 4-gear transmission.

My 8.1 liter with 3.73 gets better mileage than that! Your engine may need some TLC

I've worked on a lot of these trucks and that 6.2 isn't worth it. They're a gas to diesel conversion from an olds mobile motor. My burb has 162xxx but it's only two wheel drive and its a 1500
Burbs are nice but those aren't that great and as long as it runs it'll be a lot of issues until it finally dies.

And that much mileage? I know diesels last longer but not in this case. Those usually only last until the low 300xxx's

The body has that much mileage on it, the engine mileage is actually unknown I think. It was swapped from another donor suburban my uncle got for parts..
Also the 350 in my truck is still original and has over 500,000+
which may be why it gets such poor mileage

thats false info, there was a 350 diesel that was basically a conversion, but the 6.2 and 6.5 are completely different

6.2s are good motors, but were marketed as fuel-savers. an unpopular engine option because they offered no better power than the small block gas v8 and cost more. on the upside (assuming your uncle took care of it) they get better fuel economy than the same-year v6 pickups. a friend of mine has an '85 suburban thatll get 29hwy running on diodiesel.

is a retard. these weren't the diesels based from olds motors.

protip: the squarebody chevy trucks/suvs are lighter than the gmt400s

He uses it for cross-country driving and hauling his portable sawmill, says its the most comfortable car he ever owned. So I'd wager he took care of it.

His uncle should pay him to take that piece of shit off his hands.

Even with that mileage, it's got working 4wd, it's worth more than $1500 if it's in half decent condition and the motor isn't original and hasn't been rebuilt at some point. The 6.2's suck, I'd suggest junking that anyways and swapping for a 350 smallblock or yank a 454 out of another burb if you want. Squares are reliable as fuck and easy to work on and maintain, as well as cheap to do so, parts are abundant as all hell. LMC truck, Brothers, Classic Industries, local junkyards and ebay will be your best friend for parts, 73-87.com and chevytalk forum has plenty of resources for squares. As long as the rockers/floor isn't rotten out, and the frames in decent shape, buy it, or at least a different one.

>big thing to look out for!
>on any lifted/bigass tires 73-87 (73-91 for burbs/blazers) check the frame around the steering box, if they've been beaten on, offroad especially, the steering boxes can rip through the frame/crack the frame, it is fixable and reinforcement kits are available, but it's an issue to look for

t.guy who owns multiple squarebodies

6.2's can be reliable if well taken care of but It's never gonna make much power, other than that It's a good platform for truck stuff.

Those 6.2's were made by Detroit diesel. They're completely different than the 5.7 gas converted engines, which did in fact suck

Should I expect alot of problems?