Is it frustrating living in countries where you can't tell what year a car was built by glancing at the licence plate?

Is it frustrating living in countries where you can't tell what year a car was built by glancing at the licence plate?

not really that's why you just learn to recognize body styles, or just read the vin if you care

No

Why would I give a shit? What difference does it make to me?

When cars have model lives of 5-8 years between facelifts you have no idea

No, because I can do that without the plate. If I really cared the 10th digit of the VIN will tell me exactly what year it is.

No you can't moron. What's the visual difference between a '13 and a '14 Taurus?

Why does that matter?

Why would you even care whether it's a '13 Taurus or '14 Taurus? What difference does it make to your life that you need it written on the license plate?

what's the fucking difference between '13 and '14 taurus
its a shit car anyway nobody but the idiots who bought that garbage would ever give a fuck what year that pile of trash was made

is the VIN as easy to glance at as a licence plate though?

You can estimate the age of a car without the license plate, provided you aren't a normie pleb.

Are you the type of """""""""car enthusiast"""""""" that yells outloud all of the cars specs, markings, dimensions and other wikipedia stuff when you see one?

Is it frustrating living in a caliphate with practically no freedom and the world's most degenerate society?

You can tell when they were registered by the plate, which is something I guess.

I'd wish for completely free license plates
no area code, no letter digit count or order

based polak has the best options:
>only one letter is fixed (the first letter for the area)
>7 symbols
>numbers and letters must be present
>no specific order

Well the UK doesn't need the EU part anymore!

I must admit I do like being able to quickly tell by glancing at it.

Of course if they have a private plate they could pick something with a wrong age identifier but usually you can tell.

I think I'd prefer US license plate laws though as they're a lot more lax when it comes to having a personalised plate, not that I have a personalised plate

There's absolutely zero reason not to allow fully personalized plates in this day and age. As long as the combination is unique in the jurisdiction it's still uniquely identifiable.

Also more-so than the plate itself it's a shame to have t0 be forced to have a front plate in some areas/countries/states.

I get that there are cameras that automatically read all your plates and overall it's probably a good thing to keep crime down but spoils the look of cars

how come my 98 car has a plate with the blue part on it?

Front cameras are the standard for speed enforcement where I live and in most of the developed world for that matter since they must include the driver's face. Only the US still send out officers to waste tax money sitting on the side of the road to pull over people manually and optionally shoot them.

Here in Germany the rule is that old plates remain legal but if you lose or destroy your old plates and get new ones made or you register the car as a new owner and need to get plates made they must adhere to the new format, meaning a blue stripe and a different font. I don't know if a combination stays with a car forever in the Netherlands though. Maybe it's similar to here and the previous owner of your car had to get the plates remade at some point.

Yeah, the combination is tied to the car here.

wtf I want a car with old plate now

In Hungary the format is 3 letters - 3 numbers, they are released in alphabetical order. Mine is IWZ which means end of 2003 or start of 2004. Licence plates released now start with P. If you see an older car with a newer plate it is imported from western Europe.

this
just knowing the generation or whatever is enough, unless you want to buy the car in which case just ask the owner or look at the listing if the owner is literate enough to put it there.
otherwise literally why and who would give a shit

stupid thread by a stupid OP.
practically a body style would give an indication of the age of a car.

if I really cared I could ask the owner, or google it.

now let's say i really cared about the age of the individual car, like say I was about to buy it. The VIN defines the year it was manufactured.

Picture only shows the plates as they were originally made, not with what they were replaced.

That picture also shows the dark and light blue plates as black.

not really, OP

There are some use of the front plate in here, some parking halls automtically read your front plate and it is printed in the ticket. Same when driving out it lets you out by reding your plate.

practically a body style would give an indication of the age of a car.
>indication
>when you can have the exact year

>practically a body style would give an indication of the age of a car.

vw beetle/type 2 bus, landrover series1-3 /defender, Austin/morris/BL/rover mini, Hindustan ambassador, lada riva/niva , Mercedes g wagen

would all like a word

yes
i hate english number plates in general, they look hideous, the age thing is annoying, front plates are also retarded.

i wish we had cool plates made of stamped metal and painted with cool colours or designs and only needing the back one like in america.
and of course the date thing

>wish we had plates of stamped metal
older (pre 1970) plates were just that

>front plates are also retarded.

No they aren't. I'm a British traffic cop.

Around 2000 all dutch cars with yellow plates had to get plates with the blue bar when they went to get MOT/apk/tüv. Fully yellow plates are still found on some barnfinds which means they haven't driven since 2000, sometimes i see old german plates which means they have been driving the same car for at least 18 years

German cars can keep the plate even with changing owners if they stay in the same district.

Go back to your van targeting innocent members of the public going 4mph over you piece of shit pig.

Out of all european plates i think they look the most a e s t a t i c

Most aesthetic are those where you can still get plates without the blue stripe (at least on classic cars) and where the fon't isn't bold as all hell.

Also Aland.

What does it mean if a car has blue plates with black lettering on it in NL? Looked on Google for 2 mins and didn't find anything.

Nvm fixed

Yes, only because it means most yuropeen shitboxes don't have a fucking build date on the VIN plate, making harder to get info on that car.

Like these? These are legal here, if your vehicle was registered before a certain date.

Here we have a site where you can just fill in the license plate and it tells you all the information available. Thankfully nothing personal about the owner.

So? Typically there are few if any major changes between facelifts/redesigns.

Literally autismo the thread

Walk up on it and look at the dash.....

most autistic thread of 2018 so far