€5k car guide - small petrol cars

OK, with the discussion on the city cars finished (, winning trio being Twingo as the main choice, plus Up and Panda as alternative), time to go to petrol vehicles.

Main choice - Toyota Yaris(2002-2010, up to 175 kkm).
Running costs: €/€€.
Pros: good reliability, good rustproofing, low depreciation.
Cons: lots of badly-equipped examples, tight interior, expensive parts.
Issues: clutch wear, exhaust rust, 1.0 taking too much oil.

Fiat Grande Punto/Punto Evo (2005-2012, up to 150 kkm).
Pros: spacious interior, good equipment level, cheap parts.
Cons: not-so-good materials, high depreciation.
Issues: front suspension wear, electrical failures, gearbox synchronizer wear, 1.4 timing problems, 1.2 ECU and fuel pump problems.

Opel Corsa(not Vauxhall!)(2000-2011, up to 150 kkm).
Pros: spacious interior, low depreciation, good equipment and ride, good reliability (except 1.0).
Cons: lots of mismaintained examples, low 1.0 performance and reliability, awful semi-automatic gearbox, low-rent materials.
Issues: plastic wear, brake wear, exhaust rust, 1.0 timing chain stretching, semiautomatic gearbox failures.

What do you think? Would you change anything?

I wouldn't put the Corsa down as having good reliability. Known many to fail for the exact same issue -oil pressure malfunctions leading to misfires. Not just the Corsa, Opel in general actually. Maybe I am wrong, but thats been my experience and many friends experience with various Opel models.

Also, the Swift should be included.

What country are you in OP?

Poland.

Might think of replacing the Corsa with the Swift, if enough people stand behind it.

+1 for the Swift, I think it has more character than all of the other options.

Stop recommending Fiats you colossal faggot, Opels are shit too. If the Jazz was too big for the previous category it should be in this one along with the Swift.

Vw also have some contenders, the Polo for example. It would be harder to get one in low mileage and age for the same price as a swift though. VW's go for more than some of the competitors in Europe.

I drove the Corsa in 1.2 and 1.4 versions and both were REALLY shitty, the controls are super laggy and just lifeless. Over 100 km/h the car feels super unstable.

The Fabia and Ibiza are cheaper alternatives to the Polo and just as good.

yeah and the sport model is very nice by all accounts. Good value compared to other warm/hot hatches too.

>t. amerimutt meme spouter

Yaris has a god awful sitting position, otherwise it's supposedly really good. I personally couldn't look past the weird almost horizontal steering wheel.

Actually British and was a mechanic for five years. Fiats are shit, put your trip back on.

Replace the the opel with a ford fiesta

Jazz will very likely be in small minivans.

What about Yaris as main choice, then Suzuki Swift, then Seat Ibiza?

fuck yeah a swift, handles well, cheap, decent equipment

nah, swift then ibiza or fiesta, and just outright ditch the yaris,

Why?

handling isn't that great, looks frumpy, kit isn't that generous, and yaris's are only really considered because they are cheap as shit on the used market, and that's like every european toyota, just aren't that engaging, or exciting,

Who the fuck cares they are all slow as shit get the most reliable one which is the yaris by miles

Yeah. That's the reason Yaris is going to stay.

Main choice - Swift, because Veeky Forums thinks it's the best.
Alternatives:
- Ibiza - spacious, has a wagon version,
- Yaris - reliable.

The Yaris has the most dogshit clutch i've ever experienced. Your foot has to be absolutely flat to the floor throughout the entire gear-changing process or you will grind gears. I mean that literally, if the carpet gets under the pedal, you'll grind. Don't get one. Get a Micra or something instead.

>(not Vauxhall!)
Friendly reminder that the Opel logo is wank and makes the entire car look even cheaper than it already is.

The Micra is pretty much a Clio. It's not up to the reliability standards of the Yaris that had put it here.

Dont forget the Skoda Fabia and whatever the other one is called.

Swift is also very reliable.

What do you think about "Seat Ibiza/VW Polo/Skoda Fabia"?

Thats probably a good idea considering they are pretty much the same car.

New draft.

Main choice - Suzuki Swift (2005-2009, up to 175 kkm).
Pros: spacious interior, good handling, reliable engine.
Cons: small boot, premature clutch wear, few cheap parts.
Issues: clutch wear, exhaust rust, electrical gremlins.

Seat Ibiza/Cordoba/VW Polo (2001-2011, up to 175 kkm):
Pros: large choice on the market, large and well-made interior, available sedans and estates, low depreciation.
Cons: unreliable early 1.2 engines, many worn examples.
Issues: early 1.2 HTP ignition coil problems, 1.2 timing problems, electrical problems, suspension wear and power steering problems in older cars.

Toyota Yaris(1999-2010, up to 200 kkm).
Pros: good reliability, good rustproofing, low depreciation.
Cons: lots of badly-equipped examples, tight interior, hard plastics, expensive parts.
Issues: exhaust rust, 2nd gen 1.0 clutch wear and taking too much oil, electrical gremlins.

Looks pretty good i would say.

>yaris
>tight interior
As the years went on the interior got bigger, I have a 2011 and its pretty roomy.

>expensive parts

they can be but aftermarket parts are plenty and cheaper

to be honest the yaris was never meant to be manual. The option was added mostly for the euro market. The auto transmission is a fucking TANK.

But it is manual. And most Yarises on the market, as well as most Yarises searched for, are.

Corsa b (worst gen)? Because the new ones feel good.

not in north america, we have like 85% auto in my area.

Planning to trade in my Honda SlowRZ for one of these bad boys.