I'm 20 years old, Eastern Europe (Romania if it matters). I am now looking to buy my first car

I'm 20 years old, Eastern Europe (Romania if it matters). I am now looking to buy my first car.

As a student (living at home, nothing to spend money on), I've saved up about 2000€ in the past 2 years. I've had my license for almost a year now. Driving has become one of the things I look forward to, and I want something that I can daily but that handles well.

I've been browsing Veeky Forums for some time now, so I've learned a lot about cars I've never actually seen around here, or that are very rare. A lot of the car suggestions from here are not obtainable for me, and I have no idea what to look for honestly.

I haven't been personally involved in the car culture here, but from what I can tell, it consists mainly of BMWs, Audis, VWs, and a lot of people think doing pulls and burnouts is cool.

I want something different though. The roads outside of my city have a lot of twists and turns, and the only straight high speed roads are a stretch of highway, so I want to have something I can use on the mountain roads and the hills.

So far, I have 2 options.
I can buy something very cheap and then keep the rest of the money for repairs and gas. In this category, I'd go for a VW Polo 6n2, with the 1.4 if possible. Other posters have told me it's a reliable car. I don't really think it's the ideal choice, but choosing this means I'll have to put my main goal on hold for a while.

My second option would be to buy something like a Miata NB, but I think it may be difficult to daily that here, since I'd need a hard top and the winter here has some snow, so rust is going to be a problem. However, this would really be my dream choice.

What would you do? Am I not seeing something? What are some good handling cheap European cars? Is the Miata going to be more of a disappointment for me if I start having trouble with it?

Here's my local Craigslist equivalent.
olx.ro/auto-masini-moto-ambarcatiuni/autoturisme/sibiu/?search[dist]=30

Thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

mobile.de/ro/automobil/honda-civic/vhc:car,srt:price,sro:asc,ms1:11000_3_,prx:2000,dmg:false
mobile.de/ro/Automobil/Dacia-Sandero-1.4-MPI/vhc:car,srt:price,sro:asc,ms1:6600_24_,prx:2000,dmg:false/pg:vipcar/256172092.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Fiat uno or one of the old vags
for now you need to focus on finishing school or finding well paid job

Hey neighbour, Bulgarian poster here.

I just also bought my first car recently.

From personal experience while searching and test driving cars I can tell you some stuff.

Volkswagen Golf Mk. IV - 1.9 TDI. In Bulgaria, the 1.9 TDI engine is worshipped due to people saying that it's very very reliable. A friend had a 1.9 TDI and drove near 80k km with it - the only things he had to change is oil and other regular maintenance stuff. Moreover, anything with this particular engine (if they were maintained well) are very reliable - Seat, Skoda. The interiors are a weak point though - very plasticky and squeaky.

Mazda 3 - It's a tricky pick. The diesel variant is 1.6 HDI which is a french diesel engine. Most common problems are technical, DPF filter, turbine (the turbo is with variable geometry and pulls even at low RPM) and generally a lot of rust. The 1.6 petrol is good enough for a beginner driver. I liked the way I could throw it into corners and it would stick to the road. It handles well.

If you want to be eccentric - Peugeot 406 Pininfarina Coupe - it has a nice v6 and people say it's reliable enough for a student to maintain. Rust is a big issue due to the fact that it's an old car.

I thought of the NB too - sure it's fun and RWD and cabrio, finding parts or mechanics to repair it is going to be a little challenging. It's generally reliable but if something breaks... Also, you'll have NO boot space - it's very small. There are people that can daily drive it but in my opinion it's a little inconvenient. It's more of a weekend warrior than a commuter.

First gen Ford Focus - it's meh - it's cheap, the interior is meh, the drive is decent, the engines are mostly reliable. I can't tell you much about it but you can read on forums and on the internet.

Good luck user! I know how confusing and frustrating choosing your first car can be.

Also these statements are solely opinions and observations I had. Don't take them as a fact - research and test drive if you can!

I can also second what this user said. Get something cheap for now that will last you 2/3/4 years until you graduate and start making some good money to buy a better car.

get cheap car. it's your first car anyway, so you'll learn to enjoy good car when you finally get one. plus, as a fresh nb owner from almost-neighbourhood winter country (poland), i can assure you that softtop is bad idea for winter unless you have heated garage.

>is miata going to be disappointment
no, this car is amazing. it's just so logical, you can fix most of the problems on your own using basic tools and basic thinking. but it's gonna rust (cheap miata is going to be rusty to begin with), and you can't fix rust with tools or brains. So, despite all of the love i have for my nb, i'd rather recommend shitbox for your first car.

or get 106/saxo. this is super cheap, super small car that's really popular in polish amateur rallies. it's lightweight so it handles well, spare parts are cheap, aftermarket tuning stuff is cheap. only downside is that you're going to die if you crash

Focus Mk1 is rock solid. Especially the 1.6l petrol.
Handles great, doesnt look that bad for its age, interior is crazy but intuitive and parts are cheap.

mobile.de/ro/automobil/honda-civic/vhc:car,srt:price,sro:asc,ms1:11000_3_,prx:2000,dmg:false

german cars are a meme

and yes I know everyone in eastern europe will recommend a volkswagen, don't fall for it, even teh 1.9 super indestructible fabled engines have issues. if it's german = it's shit trust me on this

I recommend whatever has the cheapest parts, and that you like. I recommend a car with at least 4 seats.
1.9 TDI car is a good idea or any early 2000s VAG car that is in abundance.
Mazdas rust fast as fuck in climate like ours and any type of Japanese car with a diesel is a big no-no for me.
Aмa тo и Cyбapyтo ми взe дa гниe, тaкa чe нe cъм мнoгo пo cъвeтитe.

>slav
>needs cheap car

Pic very related

Cheap - yes. Unreliable as fuck and has shitty interior and no features - yes. It's a good choice for a beater but there are better cars for his budget.

like what a polo? featureless and a volkswagen will always be more unreliable than even a rebadged renault

for 2k he can't do better for a reliable DD don't delude yourself that a beat to shit 320d will do better, first off 3 series aren't even that good at driving unless they are M spec second off one with over 200k kilometerers is a ticking time box

Makes sense, but would you go as far as to get such an old car? Or by "old" did you mean a 2000 VW or something like that?
Hey neighbor.
Thanks for your suggestions.
I've been avoiding the Golf IV because I've heard bad stories about the 1.4 16v, and I didn't consider the diesel models because there has been talk about a diesel tax, but that may take a while to implement. Also, all the VAG stuff is beat to shit and probably has over 200k km, but they roll back the numbers.
The Mazda 3 looks nice, but all the cheaper models are high-mileage. I found a decent looking 1.6 petrol though.
I also found a Peugeot offer in my city, but it's the 2.0L, and I read that it's underpowered. But I like the looks.
For the Miata NB, I don't mind the boot space, I can always borrow my dad's car if I'd need that. But you're right about the mechanics and parts. I may have to give up on that idea.
I'll read up on the Focus Mk1, I heard at least the chassis is quite nice.
Thanks for your answer, user.
Thanks user, I understand what you mean.
All the 106s are rusted out or dying over here, and the Saxos are rare, but I'll keep an eye out. If not, shitbox choice then...
Thanks, there are plenty here.
I've been looking for a Civic hatchback for a long time here, but they are rare and overpriced. Also the parts are hard to find and sometimes expensive.
If I buy from Germany, I can't spend 2000€ since I need to pay for transport and then registration here.
I would really like a Civic, but I don't think I can afford it here.
Why 4 seats? I usually drive alone, or with a friend occasionally. Rarely do i have 5 people in the car.
My dad has a 2013 1.2 Dacia Logan, it's good, but I can't get another for 2000€, Sandero is similarly priced as well....
I've been driving a Logan with 50k km and it's never had any issues, maybe the higher mileage models do.

>Romania
>looking to "buy" :^)

Ayy lmao

>featureless and a volkswagen will always be more unreliable than even a rebadged renault
highly doubt it, maybe if rust is not an issue at all and if you don't care about electrical gremlins

Where do you live that you can find a Sandero for under 2000€?
I can only find first gen Logan models for that price.

fucking L O Lled

Why would I set a budget to steal? Lol.

there is no doubt renault will always be above volkswagen. always.

mobile.de/ro/Automobil/Dacia-Sandero-1.4-MPI/vhc:car,srt:price,sro:asc,ms1:6600_24_,prx:2000,dmg:false/pg:vipcar/256172092.html

Interesting, I looked on my Craigslist and there are in fact a few models for under 2000€, the parts here are cheap and common, this may be the best choice honestly, even though I doubt the handling or any performance aspect is good.

Would it be possible to modify anything to make it handle better? Maybe the suspension? Or is that a retarded idea?

For VW look at 1.6 petrol (or the 1.8T but it's overkill) or 1.9/2.0 TDI. I don't know about the situation with taxes and the diesel there.

If you wanna cheap out af - get whatever petrol and put an LPG system.

Kek. Maintanance.
I drive 90% of the time alone or with one other person. I still think it's just a better thing to have. But if you have a backup car, the world is your oyster.
>Also, all the VAG stuff is beat to shit and probably has over 200k km, but they roll back the numbers.
Every single car for 2000 Euro that isn't an RX-8 will have over 250k km, guaranteed.
Saxos are the only french car that I would really consider.
1.8T will not be in good condition as they are not good engines to begin with. The N/A should be decent enough.
>2.0 TDI for 2000 Euro
No.

Ok, I'll look for the 1.6 engines, thanks. Or 1.9 diesel, but I'd rather avoid those.
I can just buy LPG-converted cars already, like first model Logan, since the LPG system cost money too...
True, I didn't think of that. But then I guess I could have just asked what cars are cheaper to maintain? Dunno.
There are plenty of Dacia models under 2000€, some even under 100k km. But I don't really trust German imports, you are right about those.

I found a Daihatsu YRV for 1750€, 148000km, 1.3 turbo.
I've read these are fun cars to drive, would this be a choice for me? Or is there something wrong with them?

>romanian
>buy

I don't think there enough parts for them, and turbos usually mean expensive repairs. But it's a Daihatsu and should be reliable.
Go look up local forums for more information on a model, it is usually the best place to find model specific information.

I think it doesn't have a turbo, my mistake, I just assumed all 1.3 engines did. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Good for repairs, bad for performance?

ayy lmao

coae miata e un cosmar la noi daca e singura ta masina.

I don't really need to carry anything, is that your point?
Asa de rau e? Am vazut o singura Miata in tot orasul, aveam hardtop. Am inteles ca nu prea sunt piese pe aici.
Ce ai recomanda atunci?

Ia-ti un golf 4 de banii aia si restul pentru tigari.

Ai incredere in Golf? Am auzit de probleme grave la unele motoare.
Mi se pare ca macar de banii aia as lua un Polo sau Ibiza, chiar un Logan eventual.
Poate gresesc. Parca nu-mi place cum arata.
Imi place cum arata BMW-urile, dar sigur nu gasesti unul bun de banii astia.

Neah, golf 4 care e in stare buna nu gasesti la 2000, Un ibiza sau un polo ar merge. Niciodata sa nu dai toti banii pe o masina fara ca macar sa ai cativa stransi pentru intretinere.

Well, if you can get a Toyota Carina E with

Ok, mersi. Normal, sincer, nu as da mai mult de 1500€ ca sa am de benzina si piese.
Crezi ca ajuta daca cobor masina cu coilovers sau la banii astia, ar fi o prostie?
I can't find any, there are only 7 offers in the entire country. Any other suggestions?

D A C I A
S A N D E R O

Fuck somebody beat me to it. Btw greetings from Australia, my old boss was a Romanian

Sandero would be pushing my budget, but with a little luck I think I could afford a 1.4 with decent kilometers.
Just out of curiosity, is the chassis any good in terms of handling? Is there anything I could do to improve it? Coilovers or lowering springs?
I find the ride height on Dacias in general is very high.

Nice, I know a Greek guy who lives in Australia, that makes us even then.