I desperately need a cheap, working car in a hurry. Am I being reasonable? No...

I desperately need a cheap, working car in a hurry. Am I being reasonable? No. I don't have the time or money to be reasonable.

I've been relying on an acquaintance for a car for months, but they keep screwing me over. I pumped some money into a van to fix it up (not a huge amount) that this was supposed to be paying towards keeping. The van was never fixed, they offered another instead, let me drive it once, then have said no every time I've needed it since. I'm in panic mode because I thought I had access to it whenever I needed it and I have a job next month that's too early in the morning and far away for me to take a bus to, and they told me no when I said I needed it for an hour for some additional training this week.

So back to craigslist, trying to see if I can find anything under 700 bucks in my area. I don't care how it looks, I don't care if I'm going to have to spend 50 bucks getting it cleaned and if I'll have to replace the plates, I just need a reliable car that I could theoretically drive across the country in.

I'm going to post what I'm considering and implore you to help me find something good.

Other urls found in this thread:

brownsville.craigslist.org/cto/d/90-dodge-dakota-ext-cab/6466053561.html
brownsville.craigslist.org/cto/d/2002-pontiac-grand-am-for-sell/6450757161.html
brownsville.craigslist.org/cto/d/2001-nissan-altima-4-cil-500/6449652787.html
brownsville.craigslist.org/cto/d/2000-honda-civic/6469793226.html
brownsville.craigslist.org/cto/d/2005-pontiac-aztek/6456717711.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

brownsville.craigslist.org/cto/d/90-dodge-dakota-ext-cab/6466053561.html

Just got off the phone with the owner of this truck. He told me it started reliably but that he "needed to replace the starter". AC doesn't work, plates aren't current, but he has the title. He's asking 700 but I think I can get him down on the price.

Lol please don't buy an old dodge that has been sitting for a long ass time cuz the "starter is bad" (its never just the starter) from some mexican

Give that finger back, Tyrone

Keep looking OP. That Dodge shouldn't even be considered.

>desperate
>cheap
>working
>hurry
>screwing
>panic
>under 700 bucks
>reliable
>drive across the country in
Why have you only posted one car?

brownsville.craigslist.org/cto/d/2002-pontiac-grand-am-for-sell/6450757161.html

This guy says the car is still available, but they have another offer. He describes one issue but I'm too stupid regarding cars to know how serious it is:

>The only issue that I have recently come across is a possible Blown Head gasket and possible needs a new master Cylinder other then that I've had no other issue with the vehicle.

Just go to a fucking credit union you idiot, don't buy a turd on craigslist

>breaks down on trip
>have to pay $500 to tow it
>in same situation

When I had no credit my mom cosigned a personal loan at 11% for $3,000, got money next day.

I didn't want to waste you guy's time with cars that aren't available. Sometimes I'll text someone about a car and they'll respond it was already sold. I'm waiting for replies on five cars at the moment.

This one's obviously a dealership:

brownsville.craigslist.org/cto/d/2001-nissan-altima-4-cil-500/6449652787.html

The car looks like shit, but at least the interior's clean. They want 500 down and 200 a month, but I really don't want to deal with a dealership. I tried that for two months earlier in the year, it was a nightmare. If I agree to 200 a month they'll tell me "the bank" wants 300 a month. They'll keep me there for hours trying to get me to sign a thousand other papers while they "run a background check". Because I can't just drive away unless I got a ride with someone else I end up captive there.

enjoy your $1,000 (((documentation fee))) on a $1,200 car and 25% interest

1. I have no credit history, positive or negative. I actually tried this. Even with my own bank I've had an account with for years I couldn't get a credit card.

2. I'm not on speaking terms with my mother right now, and even when I was despite the fact that she used my identity when her credit was bad when I was like 8, and despite the fact that the only reason she has her current car is because her mother co-signed with her, she refused to co-sign on anything with me.

3. Going into debt would wipe out the benefit of the job I'm needing the car for.

I want to unironically stab people who hide their license plate with their finger. Do you really not have time to use MS paint?

No way Jose. These are horrible vehicles.
>only a blown head gasket
kek

brownsville.craigslist.org/cto/d/2000-honda-civic/6469793226.html

This one's a bit odd. I spoke to this person last month, but their terms were oddly specific in texts. They said they could only meet for the car before 3pm because after that they have to pick up their kids and will be busy the rest of the day.

Not sure if it's the same car I contacted them about last time, but they're asking 500, no AC, said it runs great. Honestly considering my options if it runs fine it's not a terrible option. I'm just a little skeeved out by the specificity of their demands and how they disappear after I ask like four questions.

brownsville.craigslist.org/cto/d/2005-pontiac-aztek/6456717711.html

Engine has a noise, they haven't tried turning it on in a year.

>haven't tried turning it on since X
How about you take a break from Dr. Phil for thirty seconds, wipe the RC Cola off your hands, find the keys in your hoarder-tier house, waddle you fat ass outside and try turning the key in the ignition.
You've got to notice things like that in ads, realize the seller isn't being upfront, and move on to the next one. I know it's tough under a time and money crunch but buying from some shithead just makes your situation worse.

Sucks that you dont live in Cali, I've got 3 cars for sale right now, $700 1995 Accord, $1,400 1989 civic Dx, and a $1,500 1997 Lexus ls400.

I'd even offer to let you make payments on any one of them, but instead you live in some shithole and are looking for shitty American cars that somehow didn't get sent to the crusher years ago.

Any anons in Northern Ca, come and get em, neighbor also has a datsun 280z and multiple camper vans for sale.

I like it when it's used in selfies.

there better not be a cock under there

>2. I'm not on speaking terms with my mother right now, and even when I was despite the fact that she used my identity when her credit was bad when I was like 8, and despite the fact that the only reason she has her current car is because her mother co-signed with her, she refused to co-sign on anything with me.

My mother was this much of shitbag too.

Out of the ones you posted this is the best.

>live in texas
>about to be deported
>I NEED TO GET TO A BLUE STATE QUICK

tried looking at some cars for you while I was bored, fucking shit was in spanish 90% of the time. Move out of mexico and maybe you can find a car.

Kek

Okay, so I thought I was in panic mode before.

NOW I'M IN FUCKING PANIC MODE HOLY FUCK I'M SO FUCKING STUPID GOD DAMN.

I just bought this car. I had the money, it was only 500. There's some problems... Where do I begin? There's no door knobs on the doors. You have to leave the window down or put a string through the top of the door to pull the door open from inside. The windows aren't fully functional either. There is no radio, air conditioner doesn't work.

I sat there feeling like an idiot trying to start it until he explained "It's standard." I can work automatic, I thought I could work stick, this shit was giving me panic attacks trying to get it to work right. The engine is really damn loud.

There were two crucial details that had me shitting myself on the way home, one he'd warned me about the other he didn't. First off, he told me "the car can't handle hills very well." I didn't get what he meant by this until turning into my apartment the car started rolling back at the slight incline, and I had to pull the emergency break to prevent it rolling back into traffic. Still, he warned me so that I'll just have to get used to.

The second is a much bigger issue, THE SPEDOMETER DOESN'T WORK. I have no idea how fast I'm going. I can't drive like that, I'll get pulled over every five minutes.

So on a scale from one to ten how boned am I?

pic related its OP

San Bernardino user, can I get pics of the Civic?

why the fuck did you buy this?

anyway
for the speedometer : just drive the same speed as other drivers
for the manual part : find a parking lot and practice

just drive for a few hrs and you'll get the hang of a 5spd. You get used to no speedo, I'm on my 15th car and speedos are optional basically. Your also gonna have to learn to start driving on a hill, enjoy stalling out with people on your bumper.

Good job op

Thats actually pretty impressive

so for the speedometer check fuses first, afterwards its likely the trans speed sensor or the speedo cable. in the meantime you can download free apps on your phone that have a speedometer function

my cars speed sensor gave out years back and i cant find a replacement yet, never has caused me any issues in the city. just go the speed everyone else is, highway i might use an app on my phone but otherwise its no issue

driving manual youll be fine after a few days, my girlfriend bought a 98 Civic years back to learn manual on and after a few days in the walmart parking lot she was good to go. hills took a couple weeks

go to a junkyard stat

>doorknobs

Because I needed a car desperately. All it needs to do is drive reliably and charge my phone so I can't get lost. I figured everything else I could fix over time.

See the job I got next month, there's some new machinery involved, I got a call last week that I needed an hour of training and my appointment is tomorrow, 3:15.

So I asked for the van, and the response was "No, I don't feel safe you driving that van to another town. Too much traffic. Take a bus." It's literally 20 minutes away. Taking a bus would end up eating my entire day, I don't know the schedules, and I doubt there's one that drops me right off where I need to go. Even if I did take a bus tomorrow, I need to be able to drive every day at 6am next month. They told me if the van didn't work out I could get my money back, I figure I can bring this up when rent comes, and they'll just agree to letting me keep the amount from the rent, which means the car is practically paid for on it's own.

It's not just missing doorknobs, he had the doors altered to cover over them. Check the picture again. You can see the string and everything.

I guess once I learn the driving route I can just use a speedometer app on my phone.

I'm going to watch like forty videos on how to drive stick, and then I'll take it out tonight and fill up the gas tank. I hope he wasn't lying, so I'm sure he was exaggerating, but he said it was a dream for gas. That you could put 20 bucks in and it would last you getting to work and back for like a month.

I don't know how I'm going to practice driving up hills, I mean practically anything had it rolling backwards. When I got out of the car my arms were actually sore from how tensely I was driving. I'm lucky my apartment was only like five minutes away from the guy.

Holy shit you're not kidding, it's all in fucking Spanish. I can see why he wants to move across the country.

stop being a faggot and just take the van
i dont know what fuckhead told you to pay for repairs on a car you dont own but thats some cuckold shit

>OP drove home redlining a 4cyl honda civic

I tried to do a good deed for an user and ended up rage quitting.

>I'm going to watch like forty videos on how to drive stick, and then I'll take it out tonight and fill up the gas tank

don't overdo it and get stressed watching chad telling you how to rev-match or anything, it's not necessary. keep it simple
honestly the less videos you watch the better, practising is really the only way to learn

anyway, driving shift the only hard part is getting the car to move without stalling, that needs some practice to get the right balance between the clutch and the gas pedal
otherwise, all you have to do is press the clutch and release the gas pedal when you're changing gears
it'll get smoother with time

godspeed user

>he had the doors altered to cover over them.
Jesus christ why would he do that? What happens if it rains? You know cars can get moldy right?

This

Oh boy. Some tard shaved the door handles. You need to either figure out where the button is hidden or wire up your own and a remote. Or swap your doors with someone who wants to deal with shaved doors.

Too bad you don't live near me, would have sold you my truck for 1000 flat just doesn't have AC and it's got some rust

>Jesus christ why would he do that?
That's what I was thinking the entire drive home. I was trying to figure out what practical purpose that could serve. Only think I could think of was so the door can't be opened from outside while you're driving, but if you park it and they see the string, all they have to do is tug on it.

I figure I can start fixing it up one project at a time in March. I'll be flush with cash and have free time. I'll start with the stereo and AC, and see if a mechanic can fix the doors and speedometer. He probably figured it was more money to fix it than it was worth.

I think in a few days I'll get the hang of driving, I'm just worried about hills. I have no idea where I'm going to safely practice that.

As long as the wiring for the door poppers isn't totally fucked, you might be able to get them working just fine. A mechanic will either charge you the fuck off price or just replace the doors.