Literally why can't Germans engineer reliable cars/parts?

What do the island gooks have that the Germans don't?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3Y-Gdz6N-dU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

inb4 they're reliable if you maintain them correctly

Sure, but even well maintained BMWs, Audis, MBs, are prone to random parts failure which necessitates the autistic maintenance. window regulators, switches, pumps, etc etc have to be designed with no care at all to fail randomly every 20k miles

Every 90's Honda, Subaru, Toyota that I've owned has been perfectly reliable with standard maintenance - from Land Cruisers and LS400s to shitbox Accords and Imprezas

Most importantly, every button in the interior still works, there's not random shit going wrong all the time. I have a friend with a b5 S4 and a w140 S-class. He seriously has to rent a car for a week every month or two because the w140 shits out, and the S4 is an unbelievable money pit, it rarely runs right, if ever, with random shit breaking all the time and he continues to dump $ into it. Both were super clean ~100k mile cars when he got them. Many such cases, sad

Is it really planned obsolescence or something along those lines?

Why can't the Japanese built good performing cars?
Why can't the japanese build true luxury cars?
Are they all mechanically inclined?

>precision German engineering

They are machined to such fine tolerances that if they are not maintained in the same meticulous manner in which they're built they will fail.

Toyota's on the other hand are crudely machined, understressed and overengineered to the point where they will continue to run with or without maintenance which is what earned them such a great reputation in the third world.
Datsun is no different - they continued building the b110 sunny ute in South Africa right up into the 2000's because it's crude, simple and reliable.

*blocks your JAV path*

are you retarded?

they've been ichiban in both those categories for a long time

Japanese generally have more eye for small details which can also make a difference in usability and reliability of their car designs. Because a lot of their cars that are sold here weren't assembled in Japan by Japanese people.

I knew somebody would bring up the 461 but it's sad that it's an exception

I'm currently searching for the right 90-91 300ge 463 to import to the US through Europa G, so don't get me wrong I don't have anything against nazi cars

but it is sinking in that I could get a low mileage late-model Land Cruiser for the same amount of bux or even less, and have what is likely a better vehicle in every way

are you serious? is this the pinnacle of Japanese luxury cars?

>can't into reserved, traditional Japanese design
>doesn't know god tier wool is better seating than leather (which is optional)

t. mohair Eames owner

Even with full leather that interior is not luxurious for modern standards
not a real luxury car, there is a reason they arent selling it outside of japan

I own an E46 and you're completely correct. Why is it so hard for Germans to design a car where the fuel pump, cooling system, subframe and a million little other things don't randomly shit the bed when Japanese cars can run for years with little more than oil changes?

factories staffed by their own kind

>cherry picking this hard

just admit it dude, the Japs have been building sports and luxury cars that are every bit as good as, if not better, than any European manufacturer. They more often than not prove more reliable as well - these are just facts.

see: LS400, LC 500, 100 & 200 Land cruisers, GTR Skylines, FD, anything equipped with a JZ motor from 1989 to 2002, I could go on and on

wish they sold those land cruisers here

3 years of hard reliable beating

That's because it's not German.
A Land Cruiser is a better buy, especially a 100 series or newer. But then you're stuck with an over-sized/over-built corolla

The reason german cars are garbage isn't due to poor assembly, their assembly is actually typically quite good, it's due to shit design.

>especially a 100 series or newer
80 or 105, gtfo with your IFS mall-crawler bullshit

The Land Cruiser was built in higher quantity and sold all over the world in a variety of generations. The G-Class was foremost a military vehicle for decades, and sold to civilians in low numbers on the side, before it became an overpriced lifestyle barge for richfags. It's simply not common, you can't expect it to be dirt cheap.

are you saying it's Austrian then?

yeah I love me those body-on-frame Corollas

They have never built a car that can compete with the German high end sports cars and supercars.
Japan builds reliable economy cars but when it comes to building actually GOOD cars they have never been #1 in anything particular.

I forgot to mention they have never built a car that can compete with German high end luxury cars too.

>having to live in a desert known as Australia

>not living in prime 4x4 country

>Nice Land Cruiser, bro

About a third of Japanese cars sold in North America are built in Mexico. About a third of German branded cars sold in North America are also built in Mexico. Why can Japs build cars in foreign countries yet still maintain high levels of quality while Germans can't?

aren't german cars supposed to be reliable now
i suppose it would make sense for companies to market that though

>They have never built a car that can compete with the German high end sports cars and supercars
>they have never built a car that can compete with German high end luxury cars

they did it 30 years ago bro
youtube.com/watch?v=3Y-Gdz6N-dU

By the way the R32 absolutely raped every Euro car on the circuits back in the day
And the GT-R and LFA are in the top 15 Nurburgmeme lap times, I'd say they're "competing" just fine

R32 may have "raped" the already aged naturally aspirated 4 banger e30 m3 back in the day (but the e30 is still more successful) and while the LFA and R35 are great they still aren't as good as the competing Germans.
Not saying jap cars are bad i just want the resident jdm fanboys to acknowledge german superiority.

I have a theory that Germans are too proud to admit something is a terrible idea after large amounts of money and time designing/developing something so they just run with it in all its stupidity.

Designed obsolescence, compare a 70s/80s Mercedes with modern one. You can't repair them anymore, you have to swap out entire component sections at the dealer and good help your bank account if one of the computers fail. Japanese have sold their cars on low-maintenance reliability for decades. Japanese companies always treat the home market as the one that really counts and while they demand reliability, they don't value used cars so it doesn't hurt sales to make cars that last. It also meant they could blast their way into foreign markets at a time when shitty/skimped undersealing and such meant your average 70s Ford lasted about four years before rotting out.

>overengineered

This word does not mean what you think it means.

>they don't value used cars
They probably would but i believe there are laws that targets people who own old cars taxing poor people into buying the latest cars which forces them to be costumers of car manufacturers even if they never intended on buying a newer car. as a result jap cars could be sent to the scrap-yard in perfect working condition if they are beyond selling used. no one wants to buy an old used car that brings along with it hidden fees of ownership. in a way, it seems genius because they get to design cars to last as long as possible but don't have to deal with the reality of bankrupting themselves because everyone is still driving the exact same car they bought in the 80s because it still works with a few simple mods.

Maybe every country should have some kind of laws forcing them to buy something new after a certain time guaranteeing money gets thrown back into the auto industry and automakers won't need to rely on gimmicks to sell a newer car and can just work on selling a carefully improved version of the same thing ensuring whatever issue the car had gets improved by the next generation instead of adding even more new untested shit that could break. if Chrysler was still gradually improving and selling the Dodge Neon cars they'd be pretty rock solid by now.

>as a result jap cars could be sent to the scrap-yard in perfect working condition if they are beyond selling used

They all get sold to people in third world countries.

>t. Third worlder

Is this a fucking joke? Mercedes from the 70s and 80s are some of the most durable and reliable cars on the planet. Their Diesel engines are famous for doing upwards of 500k km and in some cases eves 1 million km before breaking down.

Old Mercedes are about as commonly used as taxis in the Middle East and Africa as Toyotas are as technicals over there.

Everything is 'reliable', it's just a matter of design philosophy.

A German's idea of reliability involves precision and scheduling. It's very Germanic fascist of them. Peak performance and advanced technology while adhering to strict maintenance schedules. It's the price you pay to enjoy the best. They won't tolerate a vehicle covered in duct tape like an American or built from plastics like a Japanese. There's a reason Mercedes uses the slogan "The best or nothing."

An American's idea of reliability involves hardiness and strength. "Just give it a kick and it'll start right up!" Everything is overbuilt and solid and tolerant of neglect. The tradeoff of whatever may be gained by the German design is never worth it if it can't be fixed in the driveway (or never break in the first place). It's very American exceptionalism to man the fuck up and muscle through whatever.

The Japanese idea of reliability involves efficiency and interchangeability. Where a German uses 5 bolts, the Japanese uses 4. Where the American uses cast iron, the Japanese uses aluminum, perhaps even plastic. Everything has a purpose, and 'good enough' gets you towards the goal. When something breaks, as they accept it will, it's easily and cheaply replaced. Why would they take a simple vehicle to a certified technician like the German? Why would they need to pretend like a car will last forever like the American? It's very Eastern, Daoist, Zen, etc

Complex things are nice until they break. Japanese cars are great in the same way Soviet cars are. They're utter dogshit, but you cannot kill them.

Weird, I have a 98 w140. Its a reliable beater.
Only problem is an engine lifter tick, but it has 210,00 mi. That 5 g tronic is durable too...

The ancilliary systems are the only pita, like vacuum power locks, window regulators and so on...fking power antenna gone out.

Looks comfy as fuck man, I wish the back of my Accord wagon could look like that, maybe someday...

Sometimes simple, reserved elegance is whats best. American luxury cars have always been a bit flashy and over the top, the Japanese have a different mindset.

The worst are the VW's built in Italy, like the Corrado. Kee-rist what a dumpster fire those things are.

Most Japanese cars are so much easier to work on than American cars from a design and assembly standpoint. I've done water pumps on a small block Chevy, and a Mazda 12-A, and I could do two or three of the Mazda water pumps in the time I can do one SBC. The Japanese just have a more rational approach.

An American car starts with the heater core being thrown on an assembly line- then everything else is added on around it. Why does that have to be so fucking hard when it's a consumeable?

I don’t know what you’re talking about my bimmer is at 101k and no problems whatsoever

>They're utter dogshit
t. American

The fuck are you talking about. Diesel Mercs are like the german's answer to the camry but with the boat handling that would please a Cadillac driver.

So it won one race. Congrats japan

This.

Older German shit was ridiculously reliable, Mercs went down the shitter in the 90's, BMW shortly after, but both produced quality, long lasting vehicles prior to that.

Most Jap companies held out until the late 90's/early 2000's before going down the toilet.

Modern cars are built to survive a 5 year lease, nothing more.

Have you actually ever rode in a Landcruiser? They're fuckin shitboxes

Jap cars suck, French cars are the best, fuck you little jdm riceboi.

>built from plastics like a Japanese

But BMW are the ones reintroducing plastic body panels, plastic important moving parts (water pumps) and even the engine noise is plastic (synthetic)

bmw oil pans are plastic

plastic water pumps in bmw's haven't been a thing since the 1990's

French transmission in the commodore is good desu. Too bad that attached it to such a shit engine that is the alloytec

>Most Japanese cars are so much easier to work on than American cars from a design and assembly standpoint. I've done water pumps on a small block Chevy, and a Mazda 12-A, and I could do two or three of the Mazda water pumps in the time I can do one SBC. The Japanese just have a more rational approach.

That really depends on the vehicle and what you are doing. Lest compare my 2003 ram to the 2007 Thai build D22 frontier at work

I can have the radiator out of my ram in less than 10 mins (not including drain time) but on the KA24 frontier would take at least half an hour to pull (again minus drain time. I have changed both

To change any belt? Ram is faster

To change a water pump? Ram is faster

To change diff oil? Frontier is faster by miles (drain hole)

To change spark plugs? Frontier is driving before you have even pulled the first ram plug.

Change a thermostat? Ram should be faster but with the 4.7 you always break the lower bolt which turns a 5 mins job into a 2 day job. But the design is faster

Transmission fluid? Frontier is faster (drain hole)

Tail lights? Frontier

Headlight? Ram

my opel works fine and it's a gm product from top to bottom

>Buying anything other than a 75 series

>75 series
can't fit my son's car seat in those or i'd have one in a heartbeat

shame the 76 is still expensive

What about Lexus?

I really can't, from a bias of my grandfather and father buying numerous german cars from the 80s to mid 2000s and racking up so many issues.
My grandfather's Audi 4000 quattro having so many electrical issues he gave up on it, he also had a mercedes but I was too young to remember the model. My father tried a 2004 E60 and the radiator hose melted off a few years later and cooked the motor. My father gave up and bought American which surprisingly ran well, my grandfather has stuck to lexus and has had 0 issues in the two IS350's hes had despite numerous crashes in his newer one cause hes old as shit.

TL;DR: at a young age it was instilled into me that german cars were rather unreliable despite a strict maintenance schedule, but every japanese car we owned lasted 5-6 years without issues before a new one was purchased. Perhaps german cars have gotten better.

>homemade *tray*
>jeep wheels
>roof spotlight

t.roo fucker

Roo shooter detected.

I am not that good of a welder, the tray was done in a shop, $7500 worth of stainless.

Jeep wheels?
Busted

>the tray was done in a shop, $7500 worth of stainless.

weeeeeeew someone got taken for one hell of a ride.