Spend billions on developing a highly advanced homologation race car for GT endurance racing

>spend billions on developing a highly advanced homologation race car for GT endurance racing
>BOP (balance of performance) adds 100kg while removing 200hp
>Aston Martin dinosaur is now faster
What was the point?

This is why racing should be totally unregulated and free for all apart from very slap happy generalized class designation.

BoP should be eliminated tbqh.
>GM won 2015 on BoP castrated corvette
>Ford won 2016 on BoP nerfs to NA cars
>Aston won 2017 on BoP to ruin the rest of the field

F1 during the 70's and 80's turbo era was GOAT

If it were completely unregulated then you'd have people racing what could be essentially prototypes in car skin powered by Indy-car engines in the "GT" category similar to what they were doing in the 90s. Mercedes and Porsche had no answer to the Mclaren F1 so they gave some of their prototypes some luggage space and claimed it was a road-based GT Car which made Mclaren butthurt and they eventually dropped out of any series the CLK GTR was allowed in after which the FIA said "This shit is becoming ridiculous" and revamped the GT1 category completely.

We need cars like these to return

So american companies can buy their way to the podium?
American cars can't turn. It is that simple.

I bet they would start using turbocharged Beryllium alloy rotor wankel engines with ceramic apex seals and some weird high power boron fuel mixture.
I guess it would end with the 1L class making about 2000 hp and the track requiring drcontamination after each race and a shitload of cars blowing up.

10/10 would watch

Nissans broken front wheel drive monstrosity is faster around la sarthe than the ecoboost gt and the c7r

It's a fucking LMP1, I'd fucking hope it could do AT LEAST that. I'd be interested to see how close it would be to the FGT without any BOP restrictions though.

The truth is less people are watching races now.

Sad.

>So american companies can buy their way to the podium?
They can't, VAG i think has more money than any automaker right now so they'd be doing most of that and eventually the Chinese automakers will grow bigger than their western and japanese rivals and simply buy up the competition and liquidate their inventions and tools and the only people will be winning from that point on would be Chinese brands.

The point is to make it more about driver skill and less about the car. Allows for way better racing.

eh, it would be much much better if they raced 100% stock cars that you could actually buy. Maybe fit them with a roll cage.
Racing series are just plain boring to me.

>BOP (balance of performance)
lol why does this even exist? why is racing so cucked?

Shame Ford cucked their own super car for said BOP rules that would've put them at a disadvantage if they used a V8 (which the Ford GT deserves) tarnished its name with that reworked mazda shit.

poorer teams complained because they couldnt win.

shit sucks

The only people who complain about the new Ford GT are the people who have never driven them.

Why would i have to drive them to know Ecoboost is objectively shit compared to Ford's best performance engine the modular and that if it had a twin turbo modular it'd be making more power thus being faster overall like the 720S is?

>#makeracinggreatagain

I wish they put a turbo V8 just to fuck the euros

ironically LMP1 which is touted as "unrestricted" is similarly cucked.
by having different tank size and max. fuel flow modified by:
fuel type
wether or not it's a "privateer"
by maximum amount of recovered energy by lap

all which gives you 16 different options.
and iirc it's somehow scaled by maximum circuit length.

It makes racing cheaper by preventing manufacturers from spending loadsamoney into making a car faster. The idea is to keep the cars cheap enough for privateers to use, boosting grid sizes as a result.

it sounds amazing. even better, imagine unregulated formula e with little atomic powerplants. imagine the crashes, imagine coming to spectate the race and ending up spectacing hiroshima 2.0

Even a “tiny nuclear power plant” would still be impractically large and heavy. Iirc, the smallest one produced yet fits about the size of a semi truck trailer. Having massive motors with no torque, voltage or rpm limitations would be cool though

>not a twin turbo V8
YOU HAD ONE JOB, FORD

That's exactly what i was hoping for, with just 650 HP it almost beat the 918 around willow. I've been saying all along how Ford should've gone for the throat on the hyper cars and just ignored motorsports completely (its not like anyone gave a shit whether it got a participation trophy at le mans or not and were still going to buy it based off its name alone) with a twin turbo V8. the Chassis can definitely handle more power and works well with the 650 its already got. this was so close to causing untolds amounts of ass-pain to euro-super car fangirls but instead it just barely matches a 918 and gets tapped on the head by two cheaper european super cars... BOOOOO!!!

v6 has slightly better exhaust scavenging

Its a problem. The glory days are gone.

Watch F1 2017 to see why BoP is necessary.

Watch Indy 2017 to see why restricted formulas are bad.

Right now GTLM is the best balance of both, though WEC was really fucking gay with the BoP this year.

The only reason Ford lost is because the BoP decided to make it so. The old fucking vantage winning is a joke.

>no sound insulation
>no interior trim
>no storage
>no luxuries (at least in Competition trim, pic related)
>hydraulic steering
>roll-cage integrated into the chassis
>built as a race car first and modified for street use
It's the closest modern analogue to cars like the F40 and 911 GT1

even compared to a flat plane crank v8?

although the GT is several times the price, not to mention way more exclusive

also cropped lap times

Hopefully it was tech they could then apply to their cars or sell on. Advanced research takes mega bucks, it helps if there's an added incentive like winning a race or getting to the moon before the Russians.

I wish that was the case. Mclaren was throwing a fit when the others found out and beat them in their own game.

You cant apply the rules of sports car made race cars with every brand like with lambo or fiero with a bodykit and a mustang badge.

The Vantage is as old as the Ford GT you retard. The rules changed when Ford joined WEC which meant completely new cars from Corvette and Aston.

The F1 was born as a street car. The short tail F1 GTR was basically the road car with a rollcage. It is quite literally the last road car to win Le Mans. Then Porsche and Mercedes started pushing the rulebook and shit hit the fan.

The fuck are you on about? The McLaren F1 was only ever supposed to be a road car. Gordan Murray was strongly against a racing version but privateers waved so much money in McLaren's face that every other big wig basically forced him to pay along.

Yes. The car was supposed to be a road car. That's why it requires a test track to test the alignment every time you change the tires.

balance of performance is like cancer treatment, it sucks, but its better than having cancer. I too yearn for the days past of exotic homologation specials and loose regulations but the sad truth of it is that formulae like that just aren't sustainable outside of formula 1. manufacturers and sponsers simply aren't willing to spend the money nowadays that they would throw at motorsports in the 70s 80s and 90s.

>being a niche, expensive luxury item magically means that it's no longer a road car

I would really love to hear your logic on this one.

I dont think that. I just think that you cant get a race car, add basic safety measures, call it a road car then say that its not a race car, it was never meant to be a race car, and it never was a race car.

The fucking thing has 3 seats for fucks sake. If Mclaren says its a road car and not a race car for the street then they are bullshitting you

>add weight and reduces power
>somehow the V8 would have prevented this

I fucking hate fia for killing everything. Aston is going turbo, the M6 was locked out of wec due to engine size, the corvette is stuck with the C5 engine while the GT3 callaway sweeped ADAC with the 6.2 LT4, LMP2 is an oreca/gibson spec cup and LMP1H is too expensive to be worth it anymore.
Fuck them. I'm hype for the daytona 24. It's a more fun to watch than LeMans

All that r&d trickles into the normal cars eventually.

It's like you've never watched any older racing series just like you described. Only the well-funded giants with the talent and engineering would ever win while the minnows would be crushed and will forever be back-markers. This leads to boring racing and expensive costs leading to teams and fans backing out of the series. It happened with Can-Am in the '70s, GT1 in the '90s, GT1 again in the '10s, and we're watching the folding of LMP1 today.

>That's why it requires a test track to test the alignment every time you change the tires.

That's part of the post-purchase exotic economy. It's meant to make sure that owners keep paying a hefty price for "maintenance" the longer they keep the car even after they bought it outright.

While it may sound like BS, the astronomical costs help fund the service department for these cars into the future. Keeping trained techs and the right equipment to service a car that very few people have is important to know when so few people know how to properly work on it.

So, without regulation, a car with 30 foot wide bumpers to stop people passing will 'trickle down'?

What are the chances of GT1 becoming a thing again at Le Mans, now that LMP1 is non existing?

I get what you mean brah but the F1 is literally one madman's dream car. Said madman just happened to be a race car designer so it unconsciously ended up being a great race car as well. Even to this day many of his cars use the center seat position.

The whole Mclaren F1 story is absurd. It's some shit you'd expect to happen in the 50s or the 60s.

space probe RTGs are quite small and light
but not exactyl powerful