How many people here have the legendary series 1 3800?

How many people here have the legendary series 1 3800?

shit engine
stop celebrating being poor

These engines regularly make it to 300k if maintained,make decent power,get great gas mileage and they are easy to repair. Doeant sound like a shit engine to me.

I’m thinking about picking one up because they’re so cheap these days. Would be a semi-fun daily to keep miles off my bimmer

OP here. The early to mid 90's buick are cheap comfortable and fuel efficient.my 94 regal gran sport was $800 only has 130k and get 36 mpg highway cruising at 60-65 and 24 mpg in the city. But I also drive to get the best mileage. Series 2 motors get better city mpg than the series 1 but not as good highway mileage.

They out last the bodies up here in chicago, I saw a supercharged version in the hood with 260k and it ran like a top.

Legendary shit plastic timing gears.

great exhaust burble, life just isnt the same without hearing them anymore

had a thunderturd with a 3800 in it. it was shit. trans was shit. car was shit and hands down the worst car I've had the misfortune to own.

america was so innocent in the days where half the cars had 3800 gm motors. you'd hear your neighbors fire them up and drive off... now everything is too damn quiet in this country

Mid 90s 3.8 Fords were shit. Never-ending head gaskets.

>Ford Thunderbird
>GM engine
Essex 3.8 !== Buick 3800 you fucking mouth breather

That was in the late 80s when gm ran the 3.8 The 3800 series 1 was a different motor that had a steel timing gear from the start. may not sound like it but the 3.8 and 3800 are two completely different motors.

>3.8L
>Series I 170 horsepower
>Series II 205 horsepower
How does america get so little horsepower out of such large engines?

I thought the change over was when it went SFI and distributorless, but apparently I am wrong.
I'm used to the 3.8 as the LD5 in my old Century.

Its just great. I love cleaning dexcool jello.

But they at least have better headgaskets than the smaller chevy v6.

Just because GM stuck it into every fucking thing for 75 years doesn't make it "legendary", it just makes it numerous.

In 1988 they phased out the "3.8" and introduced the "3800" which is when they got rid of the nylon timing gears then a couple of years later came the series 1 3800.

Emission regulations cucked a lot of potentially cool cars

then how has europe produced 2.5-3.0L NA engines with similar outputs and still pass those same regulations

Capitalism must fall, comrade

That's a series 3.
Not that it's actually different.

Checking in

So does my POS honda engine, with no repairs I'm about to turn over 300k. It's still a shitbox though.

Just bought a series 2 to rebuild and swap into my fiero

Its only a shitbox if you turn it into one by ragging it out.my buick is like a brand new car inside and out even though its 24 years old.sitting in a garage for 15 years wrapped in plastic and blankets preserves a car pretty well.

OP here. That's a nice,clean buick user!thanks for sharing!

Because they don't even come close to the same regulations like not even close. Look it up America for fucked because of emissions of you look sine of the same cars in the 90s got 10-20 more mpg then American counter parts and a few more hp

Had a series II 3800 in high school. Shit was fun cause I made it fun. Was pretty gutless but never broke down on me.

but wouldn't foreign cars sold in the US have to meet those same emissions?
it's a pretty lame excuse