What is the general rule about driving a car you aren't insured under? Should I lend my car to my friend for a week?

What is the general rule about driving a car you aren't insured under? Should I lend my car to my friend for a week?

Would you let someone else drive your car? Or is it an absolute no.

would you let someone else fuck your wife?

I have only lent my car to two people: 1 does professional motorcross and the other was my girlfriend's dad, who wanted to drive it(it's a 911, who wouldn't?)

My parents have also driven it but rarely. Also I would absolutely NEVER allow someone to learn how to drive stick on it.

So basically close friends/family members who are good drivers is my limit.

Who is this

I should clarify I was in the car both times I've let someone else drive it btw

>What is the general rule about driving a car you aren't insured under?
no
>Should I lend my car to my friend for a week?
no
>Would you let someone else drive your car?
no
>Or is it an absolute no.
yes

Call your insurance company. I've had policies that allowed for limited driving by others. I think it was meant to cover stuff like going to a store, not loaning it out for periods of time.

Not real clear on the identitty. (sic)

If this person is your friend, get him money on an Uber or Lyft account to cover him for awhile. Don't let his problems become yours.

this
in the age of ride sharing/taxi services there is no excuse for letting someone drive your car unless you're fine with it being damaged

You need to hold a valid license. If no one named on the policy is in the car, then you must have valid insurance of your own.
In the event of an accident your insurance pays until its limits, then the policy of car you borrowed takes over afterwards.

I don't know, ask your insurance company. Mine says only if they're borrowing it for an extended time should they be added to a named drivers list. Otherwise it's not a big deal.

>Would you let someone else drive your car? Or is it an absolute no.
I have plenty of times, but shit can blow up real quick and it can be life changing amounts of debt in a split second. So be careful.

Why not just have him take out an insurance policy on the car he'll be borrowing?
It should cost him ~$20 for the month and then you'll be in the clear.

its just during the week he'll have to make a couple 50 mile commutes.

I live in Ontario Kanada...when you own a vehicule licenced for the road, the owner of the vehicule owns the insurance on the vehicule...anybody authorized by the owner, is covered...provided they are licenced, and sober...

Sweet Jeebus, many of the car rental companies don't charge for mileage anymore. Give him the $ to rent a car for a week.

Only mum and my mechanic.

I've let one person drive my car and that was the time they decided to steer us into a rocky embankment/cliff face on palomar mountain

absolutely never again

I've only let a few people drive my car and I was in the car with all of them. I wouldn't lend my car to a friend for a week though, fuck that.

If any of my cars were in a condition that I could believe they wouldn't break them, I'd lend my closest friends a car for a short while if they needed it.

Insurance is mandatory, so your 'friend' risks having your car crushed.

SHOULD you let someone drive your car for a week, uninsured?
Why would you?
Why should you?
Can't they afford their own car, or insurance on yours?
You will lose the car, and then the friend. Americans cannot drive for shit.

>Would you let someone else drive your car? Or is it an absolute no.
It is an absolute no. Nobody else drives my car, because nobody else is insured on it.
I do not trust anybody not to crash it, It is literally that simple.

Why does his own car not suffice for this?