So I'm in progress of rebuilding my 302 Windsor from an 88 Mustang...

So I'm in progress of rebuilding my 302 Windsor from an 88 Mustang. My end goal is to have it built stronger than stock in order to put an On3 twin turbo system on it at pretty low boost.

on3performance.com/shop/1987-93-foxbody-mustang-5-0-twin-turbo/

I'm considering like anywhere from 350-375 hp being my end goal. I wanted to know how important are ARP studs and bolts in a rebuild where your considering low-moderate boost? I looked through their site and thought if I needed to get any, then I'd need rod bolts, head bolts, and main studs. But are they necessary in the rebuild?

for that low of hp you gonna run like 4psi boost? just use a bone stock engine.

also on3 is a shit. 2700 bucks for ebay tier parts. come on man. you can get a legit blower for that.

I'd heard good things about them from a few people. I hadn't had any experience myself. The only thing I've personally seen people with are Helion turbos, and they're in the $4k range. What would you suggest?

Youre wasting your time going for 375. Youre also wasting your time with a 302.

You can make 500 horsepower with no forced induction on a stroker 331/347. While revving it out to 6500rpm.
The problem is blowing the block.

If youre already trying to put more pressure with forced induction on your engine. Without even making 500hp. Fuck that.

Cam, heads, and high compression pistons. 350-400hp without even gaining any cubes.
All you need to do is rev higher.
I suggest afr 165s. 11:1 comp or race fuel 14:1.

for 2700 bucks? a used supercharger kit or get 5.0 hotparts for 3-400 bucks and buy a legit turbo. 2700 bucks, hilarious. just hilarious.

how about for 3500 you buy an entire ls1 camaro and bam theres your rwd v8 with a ls1 and 375hp.

>302

Better buy some ARP studs that fit the 351 while youre at it.
Youll be kicking yourself in the ass when you couldve had bigger displacement and a motor that doesnt split in half.

I'm keeping the 302 because it's something I got for cheap to learn how to rebuild and everything else. I'm aware that it could be a bit limiting, but it is what it is I've been enjoying it. A new top end would cost about as much as the turbo at the end of everything, that's why I'm taking a look at all of my options. (it would come to about $2k+ on American Muscle)

I'd be safe on a stock shortblock below 450hp at the wheels. That's part of the reason I was interested in staying at 375~ish

Then you need explorer heads, intake, and a cam to 6500rpm.
Easy 350-375.

I blew 1 T5 stock. 1 T5 at 370rwhp. 1 8.8 at 432rwhp. Then the block at 446rwhp on the dyno.

Now lve got a 427 fart block at 932hp at 14.6:1 comp at 6600rpm. In the same car.

Sounds like you had fun.

I had a lot of fun. It was a waste of money though.

Why would someone bother with the 302? The block is too weak for any serious power.

Because I got the car for $100 as a project. I wanna learn how to rebuild an engine and eventually have the car as a fun weekend car.

Bump

Post pics

I’m out with my lady right now I’ll get it when I’m home.

350-375whp or bhp?

Wheel. So around 440-450 at the crank give or take.

This is before I pulled the engine. Taken a few months back

don't forget the timing. 302's are held back by their timing, cranking it up a few degrees will really open it up a bit

Yeah that’s one of the things my neighbor is going to be teaching me. I’ve never done anything this large scale so I’m looking forward to taking my time and doing it right

nothin like a good neighbor to help ya out. My dad is my teacher, working on a carb 331 swap in a v6 94, I myself own a 97 GT witha PI swapped 4.6, soon to be a cobra swapped 4v

Yeah it’s weird how that whole situation worked out lol. We were cordial and everything, a week after I got my license I rear ended him while being overconfident thinking I could look away from the road. My mom was pissed but we had a Jeep that everything came apart and together like legos and he had a pickup that had had not a single scratch after so there was zero damage. Instead of calling insurance he told my mom to have me cut his grass all during the summer and he’d call it even. So while I was there we got to be really good friends. He helps out whenever we need any help and since he’s getting a 454 big block next Saturday so he asked if I wanted to learn to rebuild.

That was 11 years ago now. Damn time flies.

Cam or ignition timing?

4th engine, 3rd trans, 2nd diff.

OP, don't fuck around, just buy the parts the first time.

Lol I don’t think I’m going to be near 900+ hp. Not even half that at the wheels.

Get rid of that hunk of shit and drop in the lima like a real man

How well does the fox body handle

Stock it leaves much to be desired, but it has the advantage of one of the biggest agtermarkets out there. It can be built to handle really well for a decent amount of money.

I like three digit horsepower