I know that a traditional handbrake won't stop a car anywhere near as fast as the regular brakes, but in the very...

I know that a traditional handbrake won't stop a car anywhere near as fast as the regular brakes, but in the very, very unlikely event that the brakes shit themselves while you're traveling at speed, and you need to use the handbrake, it WILL slow the car down much faster than only gearing down or coasting, so my question is, cars with electronic handbrakes, can you activate it at speed in an emergency or do you just crash and die?

I don't know
I have a hand brake
But I'd say not.
And if you could you can't ease onto it like a hand brake
It's an on/off thing
So the wheels would lock up and you'd die

They are not for emergencies

They are for parking. That's why there is a P. As in to Park.

Why are electronic handbrakes being pushed?

Packaging. No need to route a tension cable when you can just have a wire do any loops it needs to.

I never said they were for emergencies, i said that a traditinal handbrake can and will be used for an emergency, and your answer has nothing to do with my question, thanks anyway

Your average retarded driver would never even think to use a handbrake in an emergency let alone use it properly.

that is also completely irrelevant to my question

PARKING brakes only route to one rear wheel. In drum brakes, it's a very small shoe with no cylinder, completely mechanical, on disc brakes it's a very small caliper. At speed, a ton and a half vehicle with very little resistance on the PARKING brake will lock up that wheel and send you into a 7-11 face first.Since you obviously don't own a vehicle, I suggest you vacate Veeky Forums immediately and forget that you ever saw electronic PARKING brakes.

I've owned multiple cars and worked on the handbrake in 3 of them, worked at a car dealership driving new cars all day, every single ones handbrake worked on both back wheels, and you can stop a car with a regular handbrake while coasting, 3/10 for making me write such a long ass reply

actually 5/10 for making me write more than just

>parking brakes only route to one rear wheel

ive driven a mercades gl whatever with one of these,
when i pushed the button i felt the brake pedal relieve some pressure so i think its just turning on the existing brakes.
i assume abs and all that jazz would still apply so i think the car would stop fine without locking wheels.

but also since its all part of the same system i expect if your regular brakes have failed your handbrake will fail too so basically your fucked

>Going 50mph
>Brakes shit themselves
>Your autistic ass decides to use the handbrake
>Locks rear wheels immediately
>Car turns perpendicular to your direction of travel and starts rolling
>Your are now 30x more likely to die or get ejected instead of just running a curb or rear ending someone

This is a moot question, how about just maintaining your car properly

uuuuuuuuuuh what is counter steering?
the car wont go sideways unless you steer in a direction, and if it does rotate you only need to make a small correction.

ive been driving shitboxes with untrustworthy brakes for years and trust me pulling the handbrake in an emergency works just fine

Again, irrelevant to my question, are you the same guy that thinks the parking brake only affects one rear wheel? I've pulled the handbrake at speed in many different cars and as long as it isn't in a shit state and you don't pull it all the way up, it will just slightly slow the wheels, you guys really need to go back to kissing on the bus

If your car has brakes that can't stop the car, it won't pass EU certification.
If it can't pass that, you can't legally sell it to anybody either.
So either you fix it, or you scrap it. Salvaging parts is scrapping.

Nevermind that for most cars, handbrake is mostly the same as real brakes, its basically a part of it.
So if regular are broken, your shitbox is completely fucked.
Another bonus is that if its a separate mechanism, its not usually designed for wear. I don't even when i have had to drive downgraded trucks, simply because the wear rate of the parking brake is trough the roof.

Most clueless post I've ever read on Veeky Forums. Your extra chromosome must have helped.

t. mechanic.

>2018
>30 cpus inside average car
>still can't adjust brake balance
>still no "direct mode" in performance cars
>still can't adjust traction control sensitivity

Pleb my 89 subaru gl hand brake works both front wheels.

Jesus man you really need to stop spamming this thread with irrelevant replies, i'm pretty sure that most cars that are at some exact moment having an emergency, wouldn't pass inspection at that exact moment, that's what a fucking emergency is

>handbrake is mostly the same as real brakes, its basically a part of it.

Part of it, yes, mostly the same, hell no, the regular brakes use big ass brake pads that apply pressure to all of the disk, while the handbrake uses small pads that slightly push the inside of the brake disk that mounts on the wheel hub, pic very related

>i'm pretty sure that most cars that are at some exact moment having an emergency,
>wouldn't pass inspection at that exact moment
Unless you hit something, on the road, or gravel fucks up something, you are not driving a road worthy vehicle.
The biggest emergencies are basically lack of maintenance, or not bothering to notice that you are lacking a wire here or there. Or a pressure tube. Or replaced some pads.
Or you have let rust eat a critical component.

That said, i dislike P-buttons. Simply because foot lever variant is superior.

Service brakes are hydraulic. If you notice you have lost brake pressure you are supposed to pump the pedal to build up pressure before trying anything else.

Hey man, it's ok, just tell me where the handbrake touched you.

Seriously though, i get your point, and i agree with it, my cars brakes work really well and are in tip top condition, i just threw the question out here for curiosity, i religiously maintain my car and watch for wear and tear, but that has nothing at all to do with my question, i'm not some retard who's gonna base my driving on the replies i get from this thread and go around braking only with my handbrake, that's fucked

when my brakes shat themselves on my 2 ton cuckuv I also realized my e brake shat itself and was only grabbing one wheel slightly.
I just let off the gas.

nigga just put it in park and turn the car off lmao

The foot brake already brakes all four wheels. It's usually front biased because there's less grip at the rear as the weight shifts forward while the car's slowing down, but either way it means that pulling the handbrake in an emergency is completely pointless. It could also cause the rear wheels to lock up, which you obviously do not want to happen in an emergency.

I don't know if you could theoretically activate an electronic handbrake in an emergency, but either way it's completely pointless and potentially dangerous.

>he has never performed sick skids with his handbrake

I would guess probably not since the wheels would probably lock up as pointed out.

I actually had to do that once.

>shitbox's alternator without my knowledge and the battery eventually ran completely flat a few miles from home
>friend offered to pull my car home in his brand new SUV
>since I couldn't start the engine, there was no power to the footbrake
>had to control the speed of the car with the handbrake the entire way in order to avoid going into his rear end whenever he slowed down
>ass cheeks clenched together like a vice by the time we got there

My car has an electric handbrake. It you hold the button it starts braking hard and will lock up the wheels but if you kinda butterfly it you can brake semi normal with it. Also it is linked to the brake lights so you can't use it to hide at night with your lights off.

I have that exact one
It will engage while moving
However it will lock all 4 wheels and use the hydraulic lines anyway

>the car wont go sideways unless you steer in a direction
Have you ever in your life skidded a vehicle? I challenge you to right no go out to an empty parking lot or similar. Get up to 50 MPH, apply handbrake until you stop, and attempt to go in a perfectly straight line. You cannot possibly do this. If you want to argue that fact the only way to do so is with photographic or video evidence of your perfect skid.

>It's usually front biased because there's less grip at the rear as the weight shifts forward while the car's slowing down,
its front biased so the car stays straight when stopping. people i know have tried using front calipers on the rear and making it 50/50 and the car was very difficult to control.

for the most part, the rear brakes are there to keep the car from spinning out while stopping.

>In drum brakes, it's a very small shoe with no cylinder, completely mechanical, on disc brakes it's a very small caliper.

That's absolutlely not how it works.

Why do you refuse to give a straight answer?