What happens if i gear the 2 ends of a differential, well, differently?

what happens if i gear the 2 ends of a differential, well, differently?
let's say i have an awd car with an open center diff, what happens if i use different diameter tyres front to back
>inb4 the driveline bunches up
that is literally not how gears work

pls?

>awd car

Open center differential allows for a difference between front/rear axle speeds. But that diff isn't designed for continuous duty, so you'll wear it out.

You'll 'bunch up' the driveline if you use mismatched tires on a transfer case that locks the front and rear drivelines.

but it is designed for continuous use, just taking a turn requires it spinning

the difference between front and rear can't be more than a fraction of a percent. even just replacing tires on one end can be enough to destroy.

Sounds like a crock of shit to me
I know for a fact torsen, for one, gives no shits about uneven tire sizes, same for part time haldex
Viscous LSDs can overheat and clutch shit will wear faster

The central gears of a differential aren't supposed to be constantly turning, as would happen if there is a difference between tires anywhere on the car. Making a difference in wheel diameter would cause the differential to wear quickly and unevenly as it was not designed to constantly spin on itself

They clearly fucking are, otherwise they would have just slapped a solid axle in there

Isn't it the same scenario as having different size drive wheels L/R on a open diff RWD or FWD? Doesn't really matter does it?
But I don't know.

Sure, if constantly driving in a circle is what you do all the time.

For normal people, no.

Every time I drive my car somewhere I drive it back home when I'm done, so that seems like a circle to me.

>Take roundabout
>Differential explodes
Are
You
For
Fucking
Real
?

Can I run staggered wheel for more torks at the rear?

Depends on the setup but that may give you a little bit more rear push. I used to leave the rears tires in my manual subaru a couple PSI too high for this reason. But you're risking either it not working as expected or excessive wear on the drivetrain components depending on the design.

I would not particularly recommend running larger circumference wheels/tires in the rear, as that's probably going to be kind of a big change and might also cause confusion to traction control, ABS, etc.

this, i thought the entire point of having a center diff is to allow the front and back wheels to rotate at different speeds, which would include having different tire sizes rotating at the same road speed but different subsequent angular velocity

anyway i always throught tire/wheel sizes mattered more to handling characteristics and ruining how the car behaves under turning and acceleration/braking, not mashing up your diffs

cuz again, the entire point of a diff is to let the wheels turn at different speeds

So what trickery does Audi use with their 40/60 torque split on Torsen-based Quattro systems?

im not even going to google it for you but i am 99% sure it's a fluid based torque converter, you see them on ships a lot as a robust way to be able to alternate between slipping the clutch and dumping the clutch very quickly without causing the driveline or transmission to burst into flame

I forget how it works off the top of my head but there's some fully mechanical gearing thing the center diff of some STIs that manages a rear bias.

so literally, it's planetary gears like you find in a cordless drill

No
Is quite simply uses conical spiders and different sized gears going to the front and back axle to achieve a different gearing and thus, biased torque split
It also has 2 clutch packs so it can lock the diff under heavy slippage

Something like that, yeah. I seem to recall even some of the regular WRXs pulled some trick using different final drives front and rear with a step-up or a step-down going into the prop shaft to manage a slight rear torque bias. Been a long time since I read up on all that though.

>conical spiders and different sized gears going to the front and back axle
So pretty much exactly what OP was asking about.

Except in the diff itself instead of changing the tire sizes.

so literally, it's fancy beveled planetary gearing and some safety equipment like you find in a cordless drill that isn't shit, or perhaps a DremelĀ® Rotary Tool

Yup, but in this case it's made to do it, whereas other AWD manufacturers advise against it for some absurd reason
Even if you had very different tire sizes the spiders would be spinning at worse 50rpm, more realistically at 10-20rpm, nothing dangerous
No, it's a differential, not a planetary gearbox
If you find this confusing you should try to take a look at the beauty that is TorSen

so literally, you are a shill who has yet to understand the power of DremelĀ® Rotary Tools

Running larger tires in the rear equates to an RWD bias in an AWD setup
That's why drag cars run skinnies up front

No
Just no
I don't know if you noticed, but drag cars are usually rwd and often wheelie
Front traction is 100% useless on a car than manages to reach bike-tier weight transfer
Actually no longer a shill, since I was fired from VAG yesterday
But srsly, gear reduction =/= differential

>But srsly, gear reduction =/= differential
yeah but the only question was "how do you get a 40/60 power split" and the answer is basically "gears, pulleys, and/or discs suspended in jello"

>Pulleys
What now?
The clutch is just so the cucks driving can pretend the options on the dash do anything