Is autocross the equivalent of drag but for cars that are slow and handle well instead of cars that are fast but handle...

Is autocross the equivalent of drag but for cars that are slow and handle well instead of cars that are fast but handle like shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/p-xJvnpV7JU
scca.com/pages/what-is-autocross
youtube.com/watch?v=CfInl_rqaMI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes. The fact that the Fiesta ST is the king of autocross proves that it isn't designed for fast cars

Autocross is the equivalent of a school sports day where everyone gets a participation trophy.

power isn't very helpful at autocross, its all about how well the car handles

autocross is to drag racing what tball is the mlb

that's exactly what it is, although you'll never see thousands of people watch autocross whereas drag racing gets loads of attention. It would be cool to be fast and handle well but that gets retarded expensive very quickly

Drag racing is powerlifting.
Autocross is MMA.

that’s... accurate.

I drive a Miata but find drag racing more fun than autoX lol.

i guess so

Nah. Drag racing is power lifting, autocross is jazzercising.

this but the other way around

fat kids and retards dont win at autocross user
ive never understood why burgers like nascar and drag racing so much, they are a novelty but they are soooooo boring to watch.
watch a car go fast for 7 seconds
watch a car go round in a circle fast for hours and hours on end

meanwhile in europoor were watching 600hp awd hatchbacks go flying (literally) through twisty deadly bumpy dirt tracks where the slightest mistake causes the car to bounce off a tree and kill some spectators.

autocross is just the mini version of rally

i mean im not hating on nascar and drag racing i just really cant understand its popularity

>i mean im not hating on nascar and drag racing i just really cant understand its popularity
I know going to a nascar race is probably impossible for you to do, but sitting in the first ten rows is pretty spectacular. You really need to be there in person to experience it. (the hotdogs, the beer, the cars...) I know it's fucked up to be excited for a crash but that is part of it too

how
you must really suck at corners if you find slowly accelerating until you eeeeventually reach the end of the tack and never even hit 100mph, more fun than flicking a car left and right, using 100% of you skill (or lack of)

a huge (if not the biggest) part of drag racing is the 'sport' of building your car and coming back to see how much time you can shave off. In autocross, all you need is a nice set of coilovers, brakes and wheels/tires... maybe a turbo if your shitbox is extremely slow (miata)

I like hearing about the builds of dragsters.
I watched nascar on TV once, it was interesting to watch the passing.

i get that im not knocking it but
>miata
im assuming its stockish
a miata cant be fun to drag race

I was talking about autocross for the miata. Though the miata can be very fun (and terrifying) to drag race if you give it the proper treatments such as an engine swap and slicks

>a miata cant be fun to drag race
Challenge.

youtu.be/p-xJvnpV7JU

sounds like my miata lmao

I've autocrossed plenty, but it's always just standing around all day waiting for that 3 minutes total of run-time you get. I much preferred track days until my local track closed.

why is he racing with the headlights up?

That Miata looks terrified

no, drag is testing one aspect of a car. It requires nothing but holding wheel straight and pushing down on a pedal, a """""sport"""""" for americans who don't have any corners.

Autocross is the entry level real motorsport because it requires car control and ability to turn.

heres why drag racing is popular
>be european
>pay 25-50 euros
>enter time attack race with any car as long as you have a helmet
>do 4 laps an hour/every half hour
>spend the downtime tuning car or watching others and talking shit
>open track at end of event
>can go to track and practise any day for 20 eur an hour, less if you are on good standing with the staff
>drag racing only on weekly street race meets because its the easiest and safest streetrace to organize
>drag race is boring af and most people just use it to test their build

Autocross is ballet
Drag racing is boxing

You gotta dance for both but only one has any actual power.

no
drag racing is using one of those arcade wheels that measure how hard you punch. You can not take a punch, you can not dodge a punch, you can not hit a punch, you have no idea about the strategy of the fight.
But you punch the thing hard look at the numbers and wave it around everywhere pretending like you are a pro boxer.

Straight line speed is entire drag race.
Straight line speed is one minor aspect where you get to relax on the track.

Keep believing your drag racing is a real race. In reality its just an excuse to benchrace

Drag racing is Chad
Autocross is a Virgin

both are virgin except drag racing is a virgin who pretends to be a chad.

>press accelerator
>win race

you need a very high iq to excel at drag racing

Still better than standing around talking about technique and "improving the next run" when literally nobody will actually apply it or improve over their 3 runs that day.

Autocross is fucking toxic, I went to dodge cones and ended up sweating my balls off for hours all for

at my local autocross track we run all day, get about 12-16 runs in then for the last few hours we can run it as much as we want

just stop going to shitty tracks

This.

Track days are more enjoyable than tiny, parking lot cone courses. Albeit much more expensive to run a track day, the people who take autocrosses seriously are humorless cunts.

are you retarded? that's what I said

>autocross
Driver > car

>drag race
Car > driver. Any idiot can hold their foot to the floor

this

you're probably a shit driver to think that all that shit makes you fast at autocross

A lot of people do that because it forces them to look ahead, which is very important in autox

I can assure you that you probably couldn’t even get a fast car down the track, let alone even get a time anywhere close to what the car is capable of.

I’m not talking about some factory car with electronic aids, either. I mean something actually worth racing with. Some cars are downright fucking scary as hell, like the gasser coupes. I want one of those so bad.

That's most of the reason why I dropped it. I did autox for three or four years, and while it was a lot of fun when I was actually in the car, 95% of the day you spend standing out in an airfield where it's either hot as balls or cold as fuck, waiting for someone to hit a cone so you can run out and put it back in it's chalk-outlined box, or sitting around waiting for your next run.

It just stopped being worth it to me at some point.

Burger checking in.

NASCAR: Ever been on a poorly designed highway where there's an on ramp in the middle of a turn and your forced to merge into rush hour traffic while going sixty through a turn.
>120 while cars are only inches from each other.
>Teams have spotters that tell them where cars are around them and what line they need to take for survival.
>Bump drafting is a thing.
Drag: Ever been behind the wheel of a quick accelerating car and you just had to launch from a light or punch it up an on ramp?
>Huge burnouts
>Cars so powerful they twist drive shafts and shatter axles
>Cars that accelerate so hard that they need special equipment to keep there wheels down.

Also there's the part where drag/nascar takes place in a stadium with things like parking lots and seating.
Chasing off-road races is fun and all but its to difficult to do. Trust me its done in the states with things like SNORE and SCORE but most people just come home from the work week and head to the stadium for the weekend or lounge on the couch after a long day.

a bad driver with a great car will still suck at autocross

there are different classes, just take a look at the images of cars on this page to get an idea of how diverse autocross can be

scca.com/pages/what-is-autocross

Your last 3 points are not unique to NASCAR at all. Just saying.

Nah, Drag Racing is track sprinting, Autocross is Cross-Country running

I've drag raced and I've autocrossed. I'll take drag racing all day. Getting that perfect launch, feelin dem G forces, getting a better time than you expected, feelsgoodman.

Autocross was ok, was definitely fun, but I haven't gone back. Didn't really like the people there, didn't like standing in the parking lot running after cones.

I got the speed wrong, it would be speeds around and above 200mph.

Yeah but if they go any faster the governing body just slaps more restrictions on the TB.

you can pull more G's in autocross

All auto-sport will eventually have to have restrictions. Its hard to keep people alive after they bounce off the wall at 245 MPH, spin around backwards, lift up 20ft into the air through sheer aerodynamic force alone, roll off the catch fence, and land upside down on another car.
Same goes for shot like rally when they had to end group B

Autocross is a whole lot more boring than drag racing. Easily the lowest form of legal motorsport.

But yeah sure, they're both entry level but lmao at people who spend big money on autocross cars.

Highly doubtful.

Wow I haven't seen that in probably 10 years.

a driver, shit or not, will be faster with coilovers, tires, turbo, etc. than without

even though the course is repetitive, i get just as antsy watching nascar as i do watching a regular course.

ameriga
youtube.com/watch?v=CfInl_rqaMI

As far as stock cars go, the Challenger Demon is the fastest drag car and the Fiesta ST is the fastest autocross car. Now we pit both of them against eachother down mount Akina. Who wins?

>Autocross is a whole lot more boring than drag racing. Easily the lowest form of legal motorsport.

Aka

>I'm a normie who can't drive and rather watch 'professionals' race for me.

uh... whats the technique behind drag race? having a tryhard setup build, floor on it and if not autotragic change gear correctly?

>hurrr just mash the gas pedal

Most of you pussies would be asleep at the line, launch like shit, and probably put it into the wall with any fast car

The Fiesta ST can't pass because the Demon is the size of the entire road

He can't even do a dagumi on the gutter run?

the demon will launch at the first straight and forget how to stop

so he'll end up flying off at the first corner at 100 mph

>the Fiesta ST is the king of autocross
wew

The Fiesta ST is probably too low. That's why pretty much only Dagumi did it in the show.

does he win the race if he falls onto the finish line?

Itsuki became the legend of the toe-gays when his LS swapped AE85 flew off the course and through the forest and landed on the finish line, so probably.

> Highly doubtful.

you'd need to do 0-60 in 2.7 seconds to match the 1Gs a small sportscar just needs good tires to do.

Sure, absurdly fast drag cars will do better, but in general cars turn harder than they accelerate.

technically your car is accelerating when turning

Holding the car straight is actually difficult especially at crazy acceleration

very nice retard.
You are still going in a straight line and holdng down gas and shifting an SMT.
You little pussy ass bitch has never done a corner where you top out 5th gear, go around a tall concrete wall on your left waiting for the concrete wall on your left to end so you can slam on the brakes as hard as possible, trying to find space to keep car straight so it doesn't fly straight into a wall all the while trying to not lock the brakes up yet keep them down as hard as possible and heel toe double clutching down through every single gear to second until you can start letting go and entering the corner to carry as much speed as possible through to be fast for the next straight.

Drag racers can not fucking drive. Period.
They are giant fucking pussy ass bitches as well thinking holding car straight for 10 seconds is an achievement

All those apply to track racing and you have to take a corner which is so difficult and dangerous drag racers have banned it from their events.

yeah but i mean turn faster than accelerate forward, you know what i mean

no

>Go to Daytona
>Buy infield pass
>Watch the race start and pay attention for the first few laps
>Fuck around in the infield for 95% of the race, drink, look at the RVs/trailers, people-watch, walk along the lake, check out the pit
>basically ignore the race unless something interesting happens
>Watch the last few laps
Only way I've ever found Nascar enjoyable

Skill still has a chance of beating specs at autocross, unlike drag racing where the faster car will inevitably win unless the driver fucks up monumentally. Drag racing is probably the least skill based motor"sport" in the world.

autocross isn't far ahead either.
Ice track is the bare minimum of real motosport
>time attack without any chance of damaging your car

Always seen drag racing as a mechanics sport. It's more about squeezing as much power out of it as you can, as opposed to skilful driving.

You've been watching too much Tokyo Doriftu, kid.

entire point of drag racing is to test engines and power
Its just retarded fags who can't drive who try to make it into anything bigger.

It would be a mechanics sport, but the classes are still so loosely defined and restricted that it's mainly a money pissing contest even and especially among amateurs.

t. pussy conefagger that would shit himself racing door to door on an actual race track