I always see alot of jettas dirt cheap with alot of miles, how are they...

I always see alot of jettas dirt cheap with alot of miles, how are they? Looking for a fun economic commuter with manual and this seems good. What years or trims should I look out for? I'll be getting a clean one with low miles

Other urls found in this thread:

baltimore.craigslist.org/bab/d/2002-vw-jetta130-kmiles/6449773738.html
baltimore.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2002-volkswagen-jetta-gl-4dr/6461088860.html
baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/d/2004-honda-civic-ex/6444486604.html
baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/d/ford-contour-svt-2000-very/6451501002.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

My big fat buddy, my other big fat buddy, and I. A big fatty. Rode in a 1.8T jetta.
It was quick, had some mods. Id suggest one of those.

They're nice cars to drive and certainly more fun than a base model civic or corolla but I would avoid the cheaper ones because they tend to be neglected by their owners and they can be nightmares to own if you don't keep up with their scheduled maintenance

I have a 2004 Jetta TDI and it is legitimately the most reliable car I've ever owned, I got it for $2000 with 160,000 miles, it's gets 45mpg and has 5 speed manual, and tons of interior space, I was going to trade it in but it's been so good to me I just upgraded the interior and radio

If you suck at working on cars I would avoid 1.8t and vr6 motors and go for a standard 2.0 non turbo or the TDI.

>certainly more fun than a base model civic
A base model Jetta is the least fun car I have ever driven. Well, about on par with a Honda Element.
Slow as fuck with an anemic 4 cylinder and a 4 speed automatic. Open diff fwd. Heavy 4 door. Corners like an old Cadilac. What part of that is fun to you?

What exactly is the difference between VW Bora, Jetta and Passat models? They seem to share the same body and probably 99% of parts.

Anyway assuming they all are basically the same I have driven my co-worker's VW Bora (baseline one with a 1.6 petrol engine and manual transmission) few times, it seems to be a decent daily driver and to my knowledge hasn't had any problems so it seems to be pretty reliable as well.

The usual general shit, make sure it was cared for and wasn't some 16 year old girl's first car. Manual transmission would be a good idea, both for excluding the aforementioned use and being nicer to drive in general.

Mk3 (1992-1999) supposedly didn't have very good rustproofing.

Mk1 and Mk2 are much simpler cars, though obviously they're older now and need a bit of care to keep running.

>TDI
Yeah, the VW diesels tend to be pretty good. Shame that they had to abandon that market.

Jetta and Bora are the same thing, different nameplates in different markets. They're also pretty much just a sedan version of the Golf.

Passat is a slightly larger sedan (midsize as opposed to compact).

Definitely considering one for my first car.

baltimore.craigslist.org/bab/d/2002-vw-jetta130-kmiles/6449773738.html

Post you local craigslist.

Don't fucking do it. Its automatic they were known for problems. The owner obviously wasn't well-off either.

I used to hang out with this little chubby Mexican gal who owned a 1.8T Jetta. From what I remember, she was always having various problems with it. Decent enough fun though because the turbo makes it pretty peppy. I got to drive it like an absolute lunatic since she had a big crush on me.

Not really relevant, but she also let me stick it in her butt. God bless fatties and their insecurities.

ok cars, pretty comfortable unless you ever need to put a normal size human in the back seat. the 1.8t is the engine to get, avoid the 2.no and defiantly avoid automatic. The 24v VR6 is solid and sounds beautiful, while the 12v VR6 is rather not so good. nomatter what engine you get you will want to get a code scanner to turn off the engine light every other month.

>difference between VW Bora, Jetta and Passat models?
Jetta is what the Bora is sold under in the US and Canada, maybe elsewhere too, I don't know. Jetta / Bora are mid size and the Passat is a full size with almost nothing swap able with the Jetta

Eww, have some respect for ur self.

I was a virgin at the time and went pigging. Deal with it.

If you buy a shit germanmobile that you know is going to be unreliable and expensive to fix, you might as well get something interesting, not their shittier version of the corrolla.

2.slow owner here
get the five speed regardless if you want to have any fun at all and get the turbo if you want more power for similar gas mileage and endless aftermarket.
it's been dead reliable for the last 70k though, can't speak for the 1.8 reliability

Enjoy your plastic coolant lines that require you to pull the engine to replace and electrical issues.

Avoid VW Automatic anything.

In terms of reliability the engines for the 99-2005 jettas/golfs are:

1.9 TDi
VR6 (12 valve)
1.8T
VR6 (24 valve).

In terms of power/fun:
1.8T
VR6 (12 valve)
1.9 TDi

Some tuning will be required to go very quick and give the car some wow factor. Careful as tuning german cars for power costs 200% what a honda does.

Definitely buy a scanner. Most problems aren't terribly expensive but you'd better have tools and not be afraid of spending some weekends patching it up.

Yeah, I considered that. Place looks like a crack house.

How about
baltimore.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2002-volkswagen-jetta-gl-4dr/6461088860.html

More expensive but from a dealership.

127k mil
Manual 2.0.
$3,488

So should I AVOID the 2.0 or not?

If you want performance avoid the 2.0 If you drive one and its good enough go for it. If you think you can add even 30 HP to it for less than $4,500 you're dead wrong.

Avoid. It's slow as fuck. The redeeming feature is the power in the 1.8t or vr6 and the mpg in the tdi and that offsets the potential problems. The 2.0 is slow and has almost as many potential problems.

Nope. base model trash. How much cash do you actually have to buy a car?

I really only have about 3k. Don't want to derail into a "spoon feed me/baby's first car" thread, but like OP said, I see a lot of Jettas dirt cheap. Should I be looking at a different make/model?

Thats a very basic one to have manual windows.

There are plenty of cool features you'll wish you had that are too much of a PITA to add in later.
1 power windows
2 heated seats
3 steering wheel controls

try to avoid the automatic ac/heat "climbatronic" systems if possble, but its not the end of the world if the car has it.

All the upmodel features/options dont really add to the cost of the vehicle at this point in their life cycle.

baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/d/2004-honda-civic-ex/6444486604.html

Thanks, I have it bookmarked. Should I be concerned about the 218k miles?

Leather seats? If not, then that's a lot of farts absorbed in the fabric.

nah. if a single owner has had it that long they've probably taken care of it

LOL at wanting $2,400 with that mileage. That's a $1k car.

Get this instead

baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/d/ford-contour-svt-2000-very/6451501002.html

Nah. 2k or maybe 1800 if you're lucky

>Don't buy this clean one owner reliable civic get this broken shitty American car
Kys

How much is that going to cost to get running?

the only good thing about the 2.slow is there is tones of them in the wreckers. Don't be fooled into thinking that this means lots of cheap parts, every one is there because of the broken parts you need.

if you find a 1.8t it has been stripped within 30seconds of arrival. same goes for the TDI

if you find a VR6 it has severe front end damage (read into that what you will)

bump

I am a dedicated MK4 VR6 fan. From my personal experience, whatever you do, don't.

A "shitty" supercharged American car that's guaranteed to bring a smile to your face in comparison to a shitty anemic Civic.

Why was the Fiesta ST and the Civic Si so lauded among automotive circles? Because it breaks the econobox conditioning.