So, what would be the outcome of a situation where an individual were to buy 100...

So, what would be the outcome of a situation where an individual were to buy 100,000 dollars worth of stock in a well-established company?
Obviously, if it went up a percentage, you'd make 1 thousand dollars, but it it went down 1 percentage, you'd lose 1 thousand dollars.
Are you telling me that people gamble every day with large sums of money in hopes that it goes up a percentage point?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0SGGSqOZhps&ab_channel=WallStreetSurvivor
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You'd probably be trading on margin if you had that much money and wanted to invest in a single company's stocks. You'd be able to handle the margin calls with your reserves if shit goes against you, and you'd be getting a lot more money out for what you put in if shit goes your way.

So, people offset their bets with other bets?

I wouldn't call it betting. Trading on margin is the broker essentially lending you money (at price) to trade with. The broker will carryout a margin call if the price of what ever you bought with that borrowed money falls below a certain level. The term 'Leverage' is more appropriate when trading on margin.

*(at a price)

explain more?

I'm not sure if I understand.

youtube.com/watch?v=0SGGSqOZhps&ab_channel=WallStreetSurvivor

Just note that in his example, the broker doesn't charge any additional fees for holding a margin account. That isn't always the case in reality.

this seems foolish

Well if you've got a decent amount like 100k, you may as well try with a few thousand.

So, there's less risk, but more fees charged, and a higher pay out?

Dude it's asking for a loan to gamble away basically. Stay away from that shit.

It's not less risky.

Let's take OP's $100k investment in a single company, but using a margin account instead of putting all your own money in.

To have a $100k margin account investment, the broker will require you to put in at least 50% (i.e. $50k), this is known as 'Initial Margin'. The broker will then allow you to borrow $50k. This gives the total $100k investment.

Your own cash % must make up at least 25% of the total investment, at all times (this is known as maintenance margin). Your cash % is calculated as: (Current Total Investment Value - Borrowings from Broker) / Current Total Investment Value * 100.

Let's say the price decreases by 50%. The Current Total Investment Value goes from $100k to $50k. Your cash % is now: (50k - 50k) / 50k * 100 = 0%, which is below the Maintenance Margin. The Broker will perform a Margin Call which means you'll need to put in more cash to bring your cash % up to 25% ($12.5k / $50k * 100 = 25%). If you don't respond to the Margin Call, then the Broker will begin to sell off your shares.

If you had invested your own money entirely instead, you would've lost $50k, but that would be it. With a margin account, you've not only lost $50k, you also have to put in an additional $12.5k to meet the Margin Call.

A Margin Account gives you leverage (allowing you to invest more than you would be able to otherwise), and can magnify gains. But it can also magnify loses.

Not to mention each broker charges you a certain percentage for using margin and some markets let you get 10x leverage.

Really makes insider information dangerous as you have connected guys becoming overnight millionaires using shell companies.

wait a minute lad, what

They literally have charts that say what the stock price has been doing for the last 12 hours

Yeah but what are the odds a Fortune 500 company is going down 50%

What are the odds that a person buying stock causes point changes?

ITT;

idiots trying to explain things to bigger idiots

all you kys

>arrogant jerk off thinks he's smart
sad!