I'm planning on buying a 01-08 focus hatchback to be my daily but I'm probably going to not get the svt trim...

I'm planning on buying a 01-08 focus hatchback to be my daily but I'm probably going to not get the svt trim, what do you br/o/s think of the zx focuses

Textbook econobox
Slow
Decent-but-not-great handling
Get a manual transmission, the auto is shit
One of the few cars that looks good in yellow (Mazda5 wagon a few old Ferraris being the others)

2009 focus are highly reliable and still currently stylish if you must have a focus sans the hatch.

Any Focus with a Duratec engine and manual transmission is good. So 05 and up.

Honestly the earliest ones are the most fun. Just a few model years in a few HP was sacrificed for MPGs.
Also, get the auto, the manual is a bit stiff so why work for it? It also saves you a few MPGs too.

Why is the american focus so ugly?
That rear bumber looks like an helmet for autistic people.

>Why is the american focus so ugly?

They're both fucking ugly. Euro and American. At least pic related is a better design.

I know that some gen focuses were build on older chassis, same gen as EU model, but witch one.

For me that's quite good looking compared to

nah the 2nd gen is a pigfat 5cyl

nah only the ST and RS

get a civic instead

I love my ZX3 people can fuck off

05 to 07 in US has MTX75 tranny if you go manual and the Duratec, winning combo.
165K and counting, beat the fuck out of this little guy and it's been pretty fucking reliable.

Looks are subjective, pretty polarizing but I love how the Focus looks. The 05-07 interior is pretty depression tier though

they're incredibly average. that's about the only thing anyone can say about them.

Hi guys, since we are on Ford thread.

What are your thoughts on the Ford Mondeo Mk IV with the 2.0 petrol 145 bhp? A friend of mine is selling his (it's an estate) and it seems very tempting. I'm currently driving an B6 Passat with a 1.6 petrol so that would be quite an upgrade.

Don't forget that they're ugly.

i wouldn't say they're ugly but they definitely weren't designed for very long

Some of my favorite wheels to ever come on an econobox.
Honestly I think this is a car that looks really good though. It's the perfect amount of curves and edges.

do it.
literally no reason why you shouldn't.

Well, the sheer size of that thing is quite intimidating, especially for the cramped cities of Europe.
Also, I know nothing of the reliability of the Mondeo, and even less of the 2.0 litre 145 bhp version. Heard that they are pretty reliable, just that they have minor electrical problems everywhere.

The mondeo is pretty reliable, unless someone has tortured it on purpose.
Depending on the trim level, electrical problems vary. The estate models have a inherited disease with the boot, but it's not something you couldn't deal with, it just gives them more character.

The Mondeo my friend is selling is a Ghia Model, from what I understand the 2.0 145 petrol came in either Ghia, Titanium or Titanium X trims. I have no ideea what they mean.

ghia used to be the top-line model, it got replaced with Titanium in 2010.

So I guess I should just buy it. It's a 2009 model and he is asking 6500 euros for it.

go for it, it's a comfy car.

My '13 has the MTX-75 and 2.0L Duratec. I plan to keep it for 300k km

Thank you based user. I'm still intimidated by the size of it, but #yolo.

They are truly special. They can turn any car in a nigger magnet.

you'll learn to appreciate all the extra room, think like the American way

It's my opinion that that drivetrain will last for quite some time. I bet I can get double what I have now before considering getting rid of it. The body will rust away first.

They're also more efficient, slightly lighter and more powerful, and stiffer than the hatch.

2.3L Duratecs were available in '03-'04 in PZEV states (CA and MA)

>Just a few model years in a few HP was sacrificed for MPGs.
But the Duratec made 5hp more than the Zetec in '05 and 13hp more in '09. Not to mention The Duratec much less peaky than the Zetec.

Crash standards.

In America '01-'11 ride on the C170 platform. In '08 they reworked the chassis slightly by using more high strength steel and adding a cross brace behind the dash so it's lighter and stiffer than the pre '08. IMO if you're going to get a '08-'11 get an '09 Coupe 5spd. Lightest one you can get and doesn't have the ABS/TCS/ASM that was made standard in '10 that's undefeatable without pulling a fuse.

Yeah, but in '10 they added the coupe bumpers so it's at least a bit better looking.

So it's pigfat with a 4cyl then. My NA market "MK2" only weighs 2588lbs.

That's how I feel about mine too. Drivetrain is very solid. Probably could use some new bushings in the suspension and shocks since they squeak when it's cold. But it's been dead reliable so far at 164k.

>decent-but-not-great-handling

The C170 chassis Focus is factually one of the best handling vehicles made ever.

Top Gear magazine, Autoweek, and numerous other publications have named it as the best car of all time.

Read up before you post.

for a usdm fwd shitbox the focus has excellent suspension geometry

>USDM

The MK1 Ford Focus was entirely developed by English, German, and Italian divisions of Ford. Again, read up.

are you implying a ford vehicle isnt usdm regardless of where its developed?

No, it's not. This is pre-"One Ford". This is literally a Ford Europe car.