Are mudflaps worth it or are they just a frivolous addition...

Are mudflaps worth it or are they just a frivolous addition? I live in the midwest where it snows and I feel like they might be cool. The problem is they kind of look like shit.

this is an image modification IMO. I think people want to look like they drive their car for what it's intended.

I got some for my car recently. They're black-on-black so they don't stand out much, and they're not covered in brand names and monster energy stickers

So far they've been worth it, been doing a good job keeping ice from building on my rocker panels

Our WRX doesn't have them and we actually do use it for what it was built for. The paint is fine, and mudflaps are superfluous.

My car came with OEM ones on the front, but not the back, so the rear (driven) wheels still spray mud everywhere while the front ones are small enough that the sides of the car always end up covered in dirt anyway. Questionable to say the least.

Thinking about putting some on my shitty beater truck that I bought specifically for off-roading.

Only reason is courtesy to other drivers, we go up to the mountains with multiple vehicles, and I don't want to throw a bunch of shit up on the guy behind me.

Point of mud flaps is for gravel and larger bits of debris. Keeps it from scratching the hell out of your paint.

It's not going to keep fine particles of dust or dirt away.

They're mandatory in Australia

That's a very good reason for mudflaps

When I bought my WRX it came with the red flaps and STI get out. Granted he did rally the car. Luckily I'm putting a built motor into it so it can live up to the badging (and we never got a Bugeye STI in the states).

I personally would never buy Rallyarmour because it's so damn expensive but I think they look really damn good on the car.

I get pissed off when driving behind a lifted truck without mudflaps in the rain, especially on the highway, because they throw a huge spray and I can't see a fucking thing until I pass them.

>The problem is they kind of look like shit.
Blasphemy!

>Are mudflaps worth it
When I bought the new car, I had the OEM mudflaps for both front and back. They are black and don't stick out like bright red ricer flaps. I got mudflaps not for styling, but to reduce rooster tail and water spray from the rutted roads.

The OEM mudflaps for any new make/model are typically small and hard plastic. This lets them survive speed bumps or having the wheels go into a deep depression or pothole in the road. So if you get a 3rd party mudflap, make sure it is soft if it is a large flashy one. Otherwise, you'll go into a pothole and crunch that mudflap and the mountings for it can tear loose when the flap touches the ground or object.

>The problem is they kind of look like shit.
nah they're aesthetic

He knows it

Mudflaps are fine if you live in a place where slush or rocks are an issue and as long as they aren't done loud, obnoxious color like red or whatever. Black is the only decent color.

Nothing wrong with mudflaps. They only like ricey if they're some annoying color. Black on black is the way to go

my thoughts exactly, also bro drop yours down a couple inches shit looks goofy way up like that

they were up high like that from stock, I'm too lazy to change them

Depends on the car, but they do keep the sides cleaner. Just get OEM ones not rally replica shit.

fair enough bro

>Are mudflaps worth it or are they just a frivolous addition?
As mods go, it depends on what you value and how much you value them. Mudflaps have beneficial functions for:

1. Yourself the owner
2. Other people on the road behind you

Since you have not specified your car make and model, the degree of benefit can't really be determined by posters in this thread for you. So it's up to you to weigh the options.

As community spirit goes, I put mud flaps on my rears to improve road safety for OTHER drivers. The concrete roads are heavily rutted due to studded snow tires. So when it rains, the ruts fill up with a LOT of water. My car throws out a nice spray of water and passengers have noticed the difference before and after. With the flaps, I no longer throw out much of a spray into the air that blinds the other cars. Some car designs throw out a lot of spray while others do not so YMMV. Anyways, I've done my part to improve the driving experience for other drivers.

I do notice that the sides of my car are cleaner after getting the front and rear mud flaps. They still get dirty though, but things like road tar no longer get onto the bottom sides of the door now.

Too cluttery

Will mudflaps stop spray from going up onto my wagon's hatch? I don't like running my rear wiper all the time in the winter. It also recently snapped off.

If you drive off road, dirt roads, crappy roads with debris, or have long winters then they might be worth it. If you live somewhere warm with clean roads they are fairly pointless

Main reason for mine is so they touch the curb before my wheels do.

I do like how they look though.

If EVERY vehicle had sufficient mudflaps, the amount of dirty spray kicked up and out onto other cars on the road would be much much less. That might mean the difference between applying a detailer spray versus doing a whole car wash.

I've only ever seen them on retarded subros bc " dude this will totally separate MY car from every other one #builtnotbought"

You don't need that shit. Those RallyArmour flaps are pretty vape tier.

It’s always subbiefags
>gotta cover my 2004 wrx in “race” stickers to make people think my car is special

This, they also keep most of the road grime and salt off your doors and bumper. Get the cheap hard plastic ones so you can hear them scrape.

>Get the cheap hard plastic ones so you can hear them scrape.
Not the best way because over time, the rubbing on the curb will rip out the fasteners holding the stiff flap to the car. You should have a good enough idea of where your car's edges (or the tire) is anyways.

>those pathetic one inch tabs manufacturers dare call splash guards
>$300 and installation

What about clear mud flaps?

north or south island fgt?

>What about clear mud flaps?
It loses transparency fast. Scratches from debris and dirt would make the surface opaque. Grime and sticky dirt would make it cloudy.

I live in southern saskatchewan, if I meet some asshole on a grid road without them I lose my mind. Be courteous and put them on your car.

Don't buy those over-priced ones. The cheap black OEM ones work just fine without being bright red.

I have some generic Chinese carbon-style mudflaps. They work well and look cool on my Chevy Sonic. Had to make a template for drilling holes.

>What about clear mud flaps?
You mean whitish gray mud flaps. That's the color they become after you use them awhile.

How much did those cost? The OEM ones from Chevrolet were $50 per pair.

>Will mudflaps stop spray from going up onto my wagon's hatch?
If your aerodynamics has air/debris from under the car swirling upwards at the center rear of your bumper, you won't be able to eliminate that road spray even when you are the only car on the road.

Furthermore, if there are cars on the road, the cars in front of you will kick up a lot of dirty spray. More so if they have no mud flaps. The next time you have the chance to look at a freeway from the side, you will see that there is a haze of road spray as high as 30 feet above the road surface from all the cars churning the spray up in the air. Basically, driving on the freeway at that point is like driving in a tunnel of misty grime. There's no escape. So if you require mud flaps to guarantee zero grime on your car for the entire rest of its life, you will be unhappy and end up complaining that mud flaps are worse than hitler and have zero performance.

looks real good senpai

it stops your rear fenders from getting dirty plus stops rocks from kicking up and hitting the car behind you

a kind person, you deserve all good things sir

As mods go, it depends on what you value and how much you value them. Mudflaps have beneficial functions for:

1. Yourself the owner
2. Other people on the road behind you

Since you have not specified your car make and model, the degree of benefit can't really be determined by posters in this thread for you. So it's up to you to weigh the options.

As community spirit goes, I put mud flaps on my rears to improve road safety for OTHER drivers. The concrete roads are heavily rutted due to studded snow tires. So when it rains, the ruts fill up with a LOT of water. My car throws out a nice spray of water and passengers have noticed the difference before and after. With the flaps, I no longer throw out much of a spray into the air that blinds the other cars. Some car designs throw out a lot of spray while others do not so YMMV. Anyways, I've done my part to improve the driving experience for other drivers.

I do notice that the sides of my car are cleaner after getting the front and rear mud flaps. They still get dirty though, but things like road tar no longer get onto the bottom sides of the door now.

I got a set because I thought they'd reduce salt kick up(not really) but they stop a lot of snow and ice from getting kicked up onto my car. I just got rokbloks because of the price difference from rally armour. I got the black ones with a blue logo and it looks pretty good on the Kona blue ST.

I feel like they tie the car together a bit and slightly reduce the amount of road material getting stuck in the rocker panel.