List your general problems that most cars have now a days:

List your general problems that most cars have now a days:

Other urls found in this thread:

roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=31_48_33&products_id=345&zenid=jfh6dqfar5nekq64ume0diimf5
assets.bugatti.com/typo3conf/ext/bugatti_specials/Resources/Public/Template/content/feature_glossary_cooling/cooling_05.jpg
cardesignnews.com/articles/concept-car-of-the-week/2015/08/concept-car-of-the-week-ford-probe-v-1985
nationalpost.com/news/world/disaster-on-autopilot-how-too-much-of-a-good-thing-can-lead-to-deadly-plane-crashes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Less than 8 cylinders and automatic

>inb4 im 18 and just saw some cool youtube videos.

actually problems be it ergonomics or general mechanical issues

None, cause I take care of my car and replace fluids and parts according to the maintenance schedule

REV HANG
Motherfucking REV HANG

general issues not your car in particular.

FWD.

Uh no? It's a legitimate issue I have with new cars every year.

They're all just too fucking heavy.
I mean some cars are always going to be heavy, like trucks and full-size sedans, but mid-sizes and hatchbacks are just too pigfat these days. Spoils the fun.

automatic is getting better than manual, as a racer cant shift faster than a computer.
4 cylinders... i dont think i have to defend a straight 6 or a straight 4 for that matter. If you know anything about cars you should know that these engines [not all] but they can be made to be wonderful.

carbon monocoque but to expensive for now

Electronic throttle

Manual is faster on the track, it's more engaging for the driver, it's more reliable and cheaper to repair.

I urge your too look at newer cars. Not many still have a clutch. The concept of shifter and clutch is obsolete when compared to a computer system.
I won't argue further on this case. There are many research papers and companies that can esily show you that.

im not one of those manual only elitists, but i dont care that an automatic can shift faster than me, its no where near as fun and engaging

Then why is the ZR1 faster than the Ford GT?

That i agree on.

You can troll for as long you want.
Or
your actually my initial guess. The 18 year old kid that just finished watching a few youtube videos.

I'm not trolling. Show me a new current production sedan under $50k that performs as well as my 10 year old Cadillac

Everyone knows modern autos are faster, but every time I drive one my right hand and left foot feel so left out

>newer cars.
>new tech.
Please stop... its really bad trolling, if you were trolling on some miata thread, or gtr vs corvette, etc... i would laugh with you, but your topic is so stupid and redundant that it loses all sense of humor.

Yeah exactly what my problem is with newer cars. Not a single one is faster than my Cadillac when they are all auto and turbod little weak engines.

sure thing Abraham.

Yeah I miss the good ol days when you just died in low speed collisions all the time and highway drone was deafening

No fucking visibility.

High belt lines and tiny windows. We have to drive tanks now just in case Megan slams her Nissan Rouge into you at 50 mph because she spilled Starbucks on her leggings.

Ok, obviously you don't want to answer because you know an 11 year old V8 sedan designed 15 years ago beats any sedan made under $50k today but I'll play along with your topic.

Many newer cars are going to have carbon build up issues due to direct injection. Gasoline helped keep the intake valve clean now there's nothing there to clean it. Intake valves get dirty because of EGR systems that shit exhaust into the intake. Every diesel with DEF systems are completely fucked. The system doubled the amount of computers and sensors to maintain. Dual clutch transmissions and automatic transmissions, very costly to repair when they fail. Modern engines, most are stringing them out with turbos so they don't feel so terrible even though they still are. Forced induction puts more stress on internals and lowers reliability. Also most require premium fuel now.

What do you mean no visibility. What car in particular ?

Completely restructuring a vehicle how would you want it to look. can you send a pick of an old car compared to a new car.

No man you win the internet argument. Go tell mommy you beat an 2nd year mechanical engineer in an internet argument. GO GO Abraham, tell mommy the good news !

here is a medal. Congrats

>FWD
>Car is limited to under 140 mph electronically
>Servicing is overpriced
>Cant repair most new cars by yourself, have to service it at the place you bought
>for a model with 10 more Hp its an extra 5k.

>Similar looks
Especially different models from the same brand.
>Bloated styling
Safety regulations are obviously to blame.
>Lack of choice
You'll be lucky to have a choice of engine. And if you want the premium sound system, you'll have to get a moonroof and power seats as well. It's as bad as internet run by a minority who inexplicably leans right. And good fucking luck trying to find an interior not dominated by black chunky plastic. Hats off to Lincoln for the blue interior on the Navigator, it looks first rate.

>Same driving and handling characteristics
With shared engines, transmissions, and basically everything else, you can't distinguish one model from another by feel.
>Overly "sporty" suspensions and harsh rides
I've driven my aunt's 2014 Grand Caravan on several occasions, and even on good roads the ride felt overly harsh. The rock-hard seats with "Lint-Magnet" technology didn't help matters much either. My other aunt has an '04 Grand Caravan and it is infinitely more comfortable. Smoother shifting, softer seats, softer suspensions, quieter engine. And it gets the same gas mileage and has the same passenger and cargo room.

>Excessive emphasis on safety and fuel economy
Most major car accidents still take lives anyway. And fender benders cause more damage than ever if anything. A friend of mine recently backed into someone's car, and she ended up having to pay hundreds to the owner even though the only thing that really seemed broken was the front grille. And it's not 1974 anymore, gas is cheap again. So why the government want everything to get 50 MPG by 2020? Sure it'd be nice, but making it a requirement for everything is excessively soyboyish. And with the weight of safety features and the gas-sucking emissions gizmos it's impractical. I'd say kill CAFE regulations altogether. The manufacturers will keep building cars that are reasonable on gas because nobody will buy their cars if they get 12 MPG.

>FWD
That isn't a problem.

>Car is limited to under 140 mph electronically
What do you mean electronically

>Servicing is overpriced
Do it yourself

>Cant repair most new cars by yourself, have to service it at the place you bought
It is a matter of time before the world learns about the new tricks.

>for a model with 10 more Hp its an extra 5k
well if you do that your wasting your money. you can spend 6k on buying a new turbo kit and installing it.
or if your car is already turbo'd then you can chip it.

>What do you mean electronically
Are you really this stupid? What's the point of this thread when you just want to dismiss every issue?

>you can spend 6k on buying a new turbo kit and installing it.

Let's see your turbo build. Oh wait you never tried it. So you're speaking of things you don't know about.

First to answer your questions:

>Let's see your turbo build. Oh wait you never tried it. So you're speaking of things you don't know about.

The following is a site that sells Turbo kits For Suzuki sx4.

roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=31_48_33&products_id=345&zenid=jfh6dqfar5nekq64ume0diimf5

I have spoken to a mechanic the cost of placement would come out to a maximum of approx. 2000$.

So that answers your question. It doesnt take a person to install your own turbo kit to tell you what it costs.

>What's the point of this thread when you just want to dismiss every issue?

Things like FWD aren't a general problem for cars.
I'm not dismissing the things being posted rather im simply saying that 18 year old kids who like JDM drift cars simply because they saw some Japanese tv show doesn't make fwd cars a problem. Last i checked the Honda Integra type R was a wonderful car.

>What are problems with newer cars
>Sites 20 year old cars

>What are problems with newer cars
>FWD
great i guess half to three qaurters of the cars in the world are problematic.

really user if you think fwd is a problem... here you want something new look at the new type R... other than bad looks tell me how its problematic.
>inb4 OHHHH its no duriftooo... i like rx7 and mata cuz you know the togue drift master is fun to watch.

Well, up until discontinuation, the Chevy SS.

ugly exterior
uncomfortable interior
vague over boosted control's
shitastic infotainment system
expensive irreparable modules
few serviceable subassembly's
penny pinching every mm of wiring
OnStar and controller area network bus hacks
Dynamic Obsolescence
sensor failures
"life time" bearings

OP HERE
THANK YOU. SOME ONE THAT HAS SOMETHING GOOD TO SAY.
feel free to go into more specifics as in what would you like to replace that with.
thank you user

I know. Probably gonna be my next car.

Well, my problems are pretty general. Guess I'll go by each one.

>weight
Average car weighs what, nearly 2 tons now? Even on "sports" cars, they edge so goddamn close to 3500-4000lbs range it's silly. Even lightweight performance vehicles are close to 3000lbs, where even a decade ago we'd more of a below 3000lb average. Just makes cars looked bloated and same-y.

>tech and safety
I cannot stand this new age of technology where everyone needs a goddamn tablet in their computer. I bought a newer-ish car because of my job and being able to write off shit like gas and stuff, and even it has this hulking touchpad for just barebones stuff and it's obnoxious. I've seen what NEW cars look like and its just sickening. I get safety, trust me, I do, but I feel like we're going overboard. I know that this is a problem with the law makers and not the auto makers, but for fucks sake, who lobbies FOR this shit to happen? Whoever does needs to be taken out back and shot in the head.

>automatics
I'm not one of those "hurr durr manual r bettr" types of people, but I cannot stand the soulless automatics that companies make today. Not to mention this craze with CVT's as well. I get that they perform better, but with them you get absolutely no feedback from the vehicle at all, which just leads to the impending thought "Nothing sounds wrong... Is something wrong?" More of a personal gripe, but whatever.

>unibody
FUCK
UNIBODY

BODY
ON
FRAME
IS
BETTER

there is not much that can be done
bureaucratic and economic forces prevent positive changes
and there are party's who have an interest in profiting from inefficacy

the exteriors being ugly is as much a matter of engineering as style
older cars have body's built around the underlying mechanical parts mostly just to keep water and dirt away
where newer cars are built from the outside in with the internal parts being relocated as needed to suit aerodynamic need
compare Bugatti Type 35 with Bugatti Type 32

one effect of this is to flatten out the features once distinctive to manufactures
see how this effects the bonnet and thus grill of Aston martin db1 though db5
and by the db8 the grill is pretty much part of the head lights

this can be avoided if you have ludacris cooling requirements and a stubborn brand image
assets.bugatti.com/typo3conf/ext/bugatti_specials/Resources/Public/Template/content/feature_glossary_cooling/cooling_05.jpg

and even after wind tunnels have taken their toll some style can be kept
cardesignnews.com/articles/concept-car-of-the-week/2015/08/concept-car-of-the-week-ford-probe-v-1985

ill try to TLDR the other topics
as they are more simple in some ways

I don't own a ford but fuck me if everytime i get in one and
>DOODOO DOO, DOODOO DOO
Drives me up the fucking wall

these, also:
>fewer manual options
>turbo/hybrid drivetrains dominating every segment
>market saturated with awd suvs because stacey thinks they'll make her safer
>autonomy liteā„¢ assists fucking everywhere
>SYNTHESIZED ENGINE NOISE REEE

>uncomfortable interior
first thing that comes to mind is the seats are much too firm and have no suspension or hollow space underneath them
the style of upholstery has changed significantly since the 90s

that and modern cars are just an unpleasant place to be
everything from the shapes and colours to the way the buttons are lay out is somehow offensive

>vague over boosted control's
understandable for 1960s land barges that are made to be comfy
but on smaller cars that have less mechanical grip the lack of steering feed back can be a problem

that and nowadays you pretty much have to trust that the fly by wire auto stuff works sufficiently
this is not without precedence
nationalpost.com/news/world/disaster-on-autopilot-how-too-much-of-a-good-thing-can-lead-to-deadly-plane-crashes

some tasks in landing and take off still require human invention
especially clear air turbulence and cases where air speed or altitude sensors have failed
a pilot who comes to depend on the automatic systems looses the skill and awareness to intervene in such cases

>shitastic infotainment system
not only lacking tactile controls
but also systemic poor in menu design and hierarchy
and in addition so loaded with features that it does nothing well
then the kicker is half of the bloat stops working after it stops being updated

>expensive irreparable modules
modern headlights are a good example
where it is more effective to buy and install an entire housing than to replace a single bulb

>subassembly's
the little ancillary parts that break
and in any decent car can be quickly replaced to get entire modules/systems working again

>penny pinching every mm of wiring
really hits post 2000s where to get a head unit out requires ninja skills and pliers to get a hidden wiring harness plug disconnected
at least older cars allow the head unit to leave the dash enough that such plugs can be reached by hand

>OnStar and controller area network bus hacks
the CAN bus in unencrypted point to point unless otherwise altered
this aught not be a problem if manufactures kept non critical functions on something like a local interconnect network
but as it stands expect the automotive equivalent of SecuROM to come about

>Dynamic Obsolescence
GM strikes again

>sensor failures
inevitable with modern technology
but still annoying with things like MAF

>"life time" bearings
right up there with life time fluids
and transmission with no drain or filler plug

I just fucking hate that the headrests lean forward. Gives me neck pain unless i continuously lean forward or have the seat reclined to some stupid angle

INFOTAINMENT SYSTEMS
WHY ARE THESE A THING

DUDE
SMARTPHONES
LMAO

More powerful engines locked with higher trim levels

>Higher trim levels without more powerful engines.

Not sure how it felt like in the 90s when cars such as the wrx having a ra model, but it felt like nothing special with the new ra

Woah dude, SECOND YEAR! I didn't know we had people on Veeky Forums with so many years of experience and with no doubt the similar amount of expertise.
Tell me, did you guys already talk about the ICE (Internal combustion engine) I heard it had explosions and stuff inside it, pretty cool! Sadly enough that stuff is much too complicated for me, since I'm not in SECOND. FUCKING. YEAR.

>too much sound insulation so I cant hear mechanical parts moving or exhaust
>electric power steering motors dampen out the road entirely so I can't feel it and drive accordingly
>I don't have enough drive by wire experience to say anything about that crap but even the modern throttle cable cars I've driven it feels like the car won't move with anything less than 80% throttle
>interiors are bloated so you can't sit comfortably without hard plastic being driven into your knees like an old jbody
>window lines are too high so you can't comfortably rest your arm on the sil
>exteriors are bloated so even compared to old cars with the same wheelbase and track they take up more space
>even if they're reliable more circuit boards and wiring and general over engineering in cars makes repairing them harder and significantly more time consuming and frustrating
>most cars have pillars so large and window lines so high you can't see at all making driving in tight spaces or in traffic fucking impossible
>all modern car seats feel like a church bench now for some reason
>cost more to own due to being generally less efficient from size and weight increases
>modern 4x4's rely on electrical components that gets destroyed if you offroad in anything other than a completely dry climate
>more plastic and rubber parts that will break down and reduce longevity
>driver focused dashboards with simple, ergonomic controls are gone because you need $2000 worth of computers alone in your dash

I can go on for hours about how much I hate modern automotive design. I feel safer winter driving a RWD 2002 Chevy S10 with bald all season tires and no weight on the back than my parents FWD 2007 Buick Lacrosse with winter tires because the car is physically and mentally painful for me to drive and I can't focus on driving. I won't have a problem paying $20,000+ for old cars one day because I can't drive new stuff. Late 2000's Rangers are the newest oldest design you can buy as far as I can tell.

>NO ONE bought the higher trim so the bigger engines are rare

Rust
t.bong

>List your general problems that most cars have now a days:
Valve cover gaskets degrading and eventually allowing the engine to leak oil in the engine bay. This is especially made worse if you want to change the gaskets yourself but have a V engine configuration and a tight engine bay. One would have thought that they (car manufacturers) would have implemented a fix for this issue.

filter

Lmao. 2 years of engineering and still can't form an argument

>fwd isn't a problem
Lmao
>just service your new car yourself
Confirmed for never owning a new car

Off center steering wheels, why the fuck is that a thing?

Oh and head rests that jut forward at some crazy angle so you have to hunch forward

Maintenance made intentionally harder anywhere outside the dealership.

>Many newer cars are going to have carbon build up issues due to direct injection.
I wonder how all diesel engines have overcome this issue for the last 120 years.

this is the dumbest post I have ever read on Veeky Forums, and i've been here since 2009.

t. gasolinelet

cringe

Actually no, the fastest automatic transmissions around today have not one but two clutches. It's just that the shifting is done by a computer.

P I G F A T
I
G
F
A
T

and lack of visibility

This.

Is that window in the pillar intended as an insult?

I have a Mk6 Jetta and an E30. The difference in visibility really isn't something that you notice until you drive a car that has actual good visibility. Shoulder checking in the Jetta is comical.

(You)

Ignition coil packs

CVT transmissions failing prematurely (Especially Nissan's and Infiniti's with CVT)

Direct Injection carbon build-up, especially in powerful/performance engines driven in stop and go traffic by soccer moms.

AKA Vancouver, people here always end up with a performance variant of a car just because it was "more expensive and therefore better"

I don't care that modern autos are faster, I want my car to be engaging and fun to drive. I'm not chasing every last tenth off any laptimes, it doesn't matter.
Do it mate, it's a 10/10 for me.
Most diesels had been indirect injection up until recently as well. They absolutely do still have carbon buildup issues, especially ones with aggressive EGR and drivers with a light right foot.

>Ignition coil packs
huh? whats wrong with these as compared to distributors?

I think I might have blown a hole in the coolant tank, the gasket didn't pop off or anything, but there was liquid under the hood, but I couldn't find any hole.

Had to put water in it to get home which started boiling, what's the worst case scenario on this, and the amount of fixing that will have to be done? [spoiler]I'm a dumb ass with literally 0 knowledge about cars.[/spoiler]

This guy gets it. Holy fuck kill whoever made that shit.

>I won't have a problem paying $20,000+ for old cars one day because I can't drive new stuff.

Collect what you like and hang on to ita very long time. Doing that let me pay off my house early.

A lot of modern systems use coil packs that have internal ignitors, and the ECU only triggers each coil pack with a logic level signal that isn't actually powering anything. This means that each coil pack has a big fucking MOSFET or IGBT in it. Coil packs obviously get really god damned hot, and heat is the quickest way to kill a semiconductor. Consequently, modern cars with logic level coil packs often fail far earlier even than the the spark plugs that they're driving. These coil packs are also rather expensive with a dealer markup, and they generally want you to replace all of them at once.

COP ignition coils are also often buried under timing covers and engine covers, completely defeating any cooling ventilation that they might get, which is detrimental when you consider that they're literally right fucking on top of the cylinder head.

Distributors are terrible. COP is the way it should be done if you have the option, but you have to do it properly.

are you aware how fucking large pillars are compared to cars even just 10 years ago, let alone 20
or are you 16?

Shitty pedestrian-safe design
Lack of manuals
Too many turbos
No dipstick

IMO the high belt lines for side crash safety is killing new passenger car sales.

death of reasonably priced luxury-luxury instead of tech-luxury

death of cheap rwd

twin turbo supercharged 550 hp direct injected flywheel hybrid that that can drive rear wheels

bloated exteriors

>no dipstick

what

Nope. Modern engines are so well-built and reliable that you'll never need to check the oil. You only need to change it once every couple of years.

im gonna work my way up the ranks and take over the nhtsa to get rid of these stupid restrictions and mandates

screencap this

>Less than 8 cylinders
For performance, nothing beats a blown 8-banger.
>automatic
with dualclutch becoming faster than professional racers and the lack of boost drop with a TT automatic we may be seeing the practical death of manual transmissions.

Put a ratchet shifter in then.

>ELECTRICS
>E
>L
>E
>C
>T
>R
>I
>C
>S
THIS

>Electronic everything
ftfy

tips fedora

Nice 1st-gen CTS-V friend, Non-V owner here and I really want to either upgrade mine to V (maybe not all the way to V, don't have LS money laying around, but maybe a blown LT1 from an F-Body and either keep the original slushbox or put a T56 innit).

>just do it urslef brah
>it aint even hard brah
>just tarbo it brah
retard

Burned out headlights and taillights on brand new cars

god thats retarded

If EVs were properly executed they would be great. And by properly executed, I mean bare bones simple, light as possible, and a deathtrap.

NOTHING beats manual clutch management.

See a ton of cars are rolling around with one good headlight (hid most likely) and drl's not functioning. Just an observation and they're not as repair friendly

Built to die after 200k miles.

>automatic is getting better than manual, as a racer cant shift faster than a computer.
yeah the chad from gym can probs bang my gf better than me i still wanna bang her myself.

I race and use manual and I\m fine. Gear shift speed doesn't matter anywhere near as much as you think it does.