What are your thoughts on the 17/18 civic hatchback? I just test drive the sport model today and liked it...

What are your thoughts on the 17/18 civic hatchback? I just test drive the sport model today and liked it, except for the anemic sound system.

Basically I'm just looking for a daily driver, which is fun to drive and reliable. I'm down to this and the Mazda3 which I have yet to drive. Which of these two options do you all think is best? And any other good choices in the 20-21k range?

>any other good choices in the 20k range
supercharged jag xf, infiniti g37 with a manual, lexus is350/gs350 etc...

deends on the contry

those fake air vents look retarded

I have no car and am a poorfag but my mom was at the dealership looking at a CRV (because she is retarded). The sport civics look nice, but I don't see the point of having a hatch that is so tiny. Plus they are like the size of older accords now.

Unless you just absolutely have to have it new, Focus ST is the best thing around for under $20k. You can get one with like 20k miles, still under factory warranty.

The hatch actually looked like it had some pretty decent space.
I should clarify, I meant around 20k dollars, not miles

Learn to read.

how much cash do you have for a down payment? what's wrong with your current car?

Last car was a an 06 GTI. I got plowed by a schoolbus a few days before Christmas (100% his fault). So need a new one real soon. I've got about $15k I'm going to pay up front.

this. FoST and FiST are the best bang for your bucks around. I picked up my FiST for 13k with only 36k miles which were all highway.

>highway miles meme

>look mom, I posted again!

Are you insinuating that there's no difference between highway miles and city miles? Because there is a huge difference. Like I didn't even know anyone was unaware of this.

The hatch with turbo motor and manual is gud car. Tune can get the HP up if you find it lacking stock.

Other cars are the focus/fist that have been mentioned, GTIs, Mazda3 is okay but doesn't have the performance unless speed.

Tons of options at the price point you're looking at. Lightly used ecoboost mustangs are at that price point as well. Really depends what you want.

It looks like crap though. Mazda is way better design wise - the civic looks like a hot wheel toy. i30 fastaback available at Your place?

>a hatch that is so tiny
like the actual hatch or the whole car? neither of them are small. never found it to be a problem.
>like the size of older accords
had an 00. its bigger than my brothers 8th gen civic, i can tell. but its not that big, definitely not as long as the accord. prob a little wider. i noticed the width immediately. specifically leased the civic sport hatch bc it was actually smaller than my bl legacy, unlike the new civic sedan, which is an inch bigger in every dimension.
tldr this kid is talking out his ass
>focus st
yeah i guess you can get a slightly used one for about 20k but its got 70 more hp and kind of defeats the purpose of having a fuel sipping hatch. different class really. depends on what hes looking for.

look op, unlike these busriders i literally just leased that car except in sonic gray. coming from a legacy, i miss my manual more than anything. theres just no replacement for shifting your own gears. but it was too much of a pain in the ass for my commute. if your commute isnt horribly stop and go id opt for the manual. mycommute is bad but i still wish i had. but the cvt isnt the worst ive driven and the paddle shifters arent awful. its decently quick but the cvt kind of numbs the feeling even in sport mode where it listens to your shifts up until about 6k rpm. steering feel is better than expected, cant remember if it was just hydraulic or electric assist. good tires and minimal body roll while still retaining a good ride. not as stiff as my legacy. i like the styling theres a lot of it,and its weird and not boring looking. it looks anime as fuck. havent been any problems except my tires came way over filled from the dealer. didnt drive the mazda3 but you should just to compare. ive been really happy so far, except for missing having a fun car as a daily. at the end of the day its a civic. everything you need, nothing you dont. also 34-36 mpg so far mixed highway/city driving.

Waaay too fucking ugly. It look like something an asian IT guy drives. I know people that have been fucked by new generation Honda's so I'd stay away from a new turbo engine for a bit.

Just get a Kia.

post your local craigslist

highway miles are actually worse for the car

In order of badness:

Driveway miles > Highway miles > Idle > City miles

it's like you enjoy being retarded

You pushed it a little too far with "driveway miles", no one will fall for this.

>except for the anemic sound system.
You should have asked to sit in one of their models that has the uprated premium sound system. They don't mind since you're not test driving it. You're just looking through options like the sound system and sunroof.

>like the actual hatch or the whole car? neither of them are small. never found it to be a problem.
Small as in it didn't look like it had that much more physical space in it compared to a regular sedan. I didn't go inside it since I wasn't there for that.
>had an 00. its bigger than my brothers 8th gen civic, i can tell. but its not that big, definitely not as long as the accord. prob a little wider. i noticed the width immediately. specifically leased the civic sport hatch bc it was actually smaller than my bl legacy, unlike the new civic sedan, which is an inch bigger in every dimension.
I don't keep up with measurements, my impression there is that it looks physically bloated, especially compared to 6th gens.

They were packed in so I could't compare length. It has shorter wheelbase than a 7th gen accord, but same size and width, if not a bit taller.

Need to compensate for smth? Civics size is fine, it's looks is what's the issue.

I actually kind of like the weird look of it.

And yea I'm researching the kia's as a commuter car too

They're both trash. Just get a civic for 3k or get something actually interesting.

Mazda looks and drives better, but the Civic has a better infotainment system. If you're in Canada you can probably get a better deal on the Mazda 3 because people here are lining up to buy a Civic
If you're not in a rush I suggest waiting next year for the next Mazda 3, it'll have a Skyactiv-X engine that makes more power and gets much better mileage as well. Probably gonna get better infotainment as well

driveway miles are a real thing for people that have driveways that are only 1 car wide and constantly are shuffling cars around at night and in the morning.

5/6th gear actually are the hardest on the engine due to the gear ratios. Look it up its real

Are people lining up to buy civics in Canada? Like really? You can get a better deal for a mazda than a fuckin civic?
Jesus Chris.

Yeah, it's been the best selling car in Canada for 20 consecutive years

Coming from an 8th gen Civic sedan, the 1.5T coupe with Touring package felt very fast, but very big. More Accord than Civic. The interior was really fucking nice in my opinion. It would have been a great roadtrip car, but I wanted more power in the end. The hatch looks fucking massive, but it would be the next one I would test drive. I think the coupe looks the best, but the hatch styling feels weirdly retro in its excess. Like an 80s sports car plastered with TURBO and TWINCAM with random edgy shit, but on a fucking Civic. I like it, but most people will think it's ugly until they get used to it. The 8th gen Civic was considered pretty fucking ugly on release if I recall, but kids are thirsting for them now.

>The 8th gen Civic was considered pretty fucking ugly on release if I recall, but kids are thirsting for them now
Something something Zelda cycle

I've heard that Mazda has a much better quality interior. The only downside is the road noise I've heard. Also rust seems to be a big issue. Other than those two issues the Mazda seems like a good buy

Doubling down is embarrassing. Just accept your bait failed and quit shitting up the thread.

Its not hatchback anymore lol. Almost a god damn station wagon.

It's really only road noise, particularly bad if you do a lot of highway driving like me, makes the Bose sound system worthless. Gonna dynamat mine
Rust hasn't been an issue since like 2012 or something

Is it cause it looks transgender?

the hatch looked not much bigger on the rear than the sedan, when I think hatch I expect it to be a lot bigger

It's because you touch yourself at night

Essentially. I fucking hated 80s cars in the 90s as a kid but love them now. Hated my Civic too if I recall when it was new, but have weirdly fond feelings about that upside down tub of a car.
Honda did alright with the 10th gen. It still has the overall sense of a car that you're in control of, except for the CVT version. That one can fuck off. Just wish there was something comparable in size and weight to older Civics that wasn't the Fit.

Maybe an Accord out of the 80s

That's my plan Monday or Tuesday

If I'm not mistaken, the hatch is a bit shorter than the sedan. And the trim I'm looking at next is ex, which has quite a bit more than the sport model.

What is this like a NA thing?

Top tier trim doesn't even look like a Civic on the inside. It's nice. None of the other econoboxes match it, imo. But that shit cost $26k when I looked at it last year. Are you looking into getting a manual? 1.5t or 2.0?
Also, it may not be relevant, but the hatch is the only Civic that's made in Japan still.

Compare a ek hatch to a regular ek coupe, it's a noticeable difference. If I saw one of the new civic hatches driving by quickly, I bet I'd mistake it for a sedan since it looks nearly the same.

This may be heresy, but I'm not going to get manual because my commute is very stop and go. And I'm getting 1.5t

Also, this current civic hatch is made in England

The manual is forgiving if you reconsider. I disliked the fake gearing in the CVT which i believe is the only option for the 1.5t. Not as bad as a Nissan cvt though.

high gear is harder on the engine

If you are in it for the long haul, I have concerns with Honda's first venture into turbo engines being set to 17psi. Not to mention the long term concerns with a CVT. It could be fine, but this isn't an old Honda VTEC so who knows what they'll look like with 100k miles.

The Mazda planetary gear setup and high compression inline 4 has been rock solid thus far. Wait on the 2019s to roll out in the fall though. Either roll the dice on an engine that is supposed to knock or get a huge discount on a 2018.

2019 will also bring out a new Focus made in China and possibly a new Corolla Hatch. I don't believe it but I've heard Toyota might have a 2 litre turbo option.

Avoid a used Focus ST like the plague. That engine self destructs.

it sucks that if you want a manual civic hatch you can only get it with the base (shit) audio system. Every higher trim has the CVT

I am considering either a 2018 civic hatchback or a 2018 accord.
i like the style of the civic more, but the accord has the extra bells and whistles.

'00 accord owner here who drove a 2018 civic hatch today.
the user above you is correct. The new civic had about as much room as my accord.

Have a 17 sport touring. Look, it's a good commuter. Works well with android auto and apple carplay, and the 540 watt sound system is bomb at. Road noise is minimal. It's sporty enough to get around, but again, let's not kid here, it's not a sports car by any means. It's good for what it is, minus the price tag.

>buying the hideous new civic
kys

My money, my choice. I'm just giving op advice to consider.

>riding the bus
kys

>being poor

Is it better than the bus?

Sure the fuck is.

>implying
I drive a car that will still look good 20 years from now.

Post it

Looks like drivable soap for trophy wives

nah that's the c70

Looks nice, user, and so does the 17-18 civic hatch