Unless you drive 24/7 in a busy city centre or are a woman, why would you ever buy an automatic transmission car?

Unless you drive 24/7 in a busy city centre or are a woman, why would you ever buy an automatic transmission car?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=N6tln07e2_E
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Some cars are objectively better in automatic and many higher trims don't even have manual as an option.

laziness/not knowing or caring about cars at all

whats your opinion on getting an automatic mustang. i heard its better than a stick

for my commute i can't imagine having to drive stick especially in the morning
in the country though it must be fantastic

please have some respect to yourself

Not really u faggot whats the point of a manual when u drive a 130hp corolla?

Because there is no point unless your car is a sports car or off roader. For a shopping cart eco shitbox auto is just fine.

I drive leon ecomotive with 1.6tdi 110hp in manual and still can't see why would anyone order it in automatic

In Europe, there's still reason to get manual cars because they give you a restricted license if you show up for your driving test in an automatic. And there's less traffic all around because of superior train/metro infrastructure, so manual driving in the cities is easier and occasionally even fun.

In America however, public transit is extremely limited and city streets still manage to be extremely congested even with subways and shit. Just ask anyone who lives in New York City what traffic is like and tell me you wouldn't get tired of constantly clutching and shifting back into first in all that mess. With the automatic you don't need to worry about that shit. Just put it in drive and don't bother touching it again. Not to mention the lower IQ and reduced fine motor skills of most Americans which makes it harder for them to drive manual.

Sooooooooooooooooo

Veeky Forums

I never thought I would say this but I haven't driven a manual in two weeks

Bought a new car, and it is automatic'

i fucking love it

i just think everyone should at least know how to drive a manual. but driving an automatic is sooo much easier

my shit 2001 Hyundai GT would be dreadful without a manual gearbox

my 13' hyundai is manual and whenever I go to work I drive automatic Kias and shit. feels so good desu. hope i can sell it

so that you can control what gear you are in, idiot

so you are saying that in america the only reason to drive an automatic is laziness and/or stupidity

I would used to say auto is ok because my Mercedes didn't come with manual. Now I have a Focus SE and it's not even fast but I can out drive any dickhead because I was in the powerband 20 minutes ago while they wait on their slushbox to do something.

>centre

>Some cars are objectively better in automatic

The monotony of driving is virtually eliminated in every vehicle I've driven with a manual. How can you say that's objective?

So you only lose 20 hp to the transmission instead of 30?

Offloading is really the only reason to have an auto

*offroading

No reason to have one

only for drag races.

You have a disability, one leg, one arm or one brain cell.

not an offroad person here, but surely gear selection is rather handy when offroad?

If you dont know dont make idiotic assumptions. Fuckhead.

Unpopular Opinion here, I unironically want an ND Miata in automatic after test driving one at a car show. Maybe I just want a lazy cruiser that's smooth and effortless, if I really wanted to I could use the paddles. My parents have an 97' Jag XK8 with a huge-ass V8 hooked up to an automatic (i'm pretty sure it only came in auto) and that thing is damn fine.

On the lower end economy cars I don't think there's really any advantage to getting a manual unless you specifically want it. A stick shift doesn't magically make an engine better, a good transmission hooked up to a crappy or at least not exactly fun engine does not magically improve that driving experience. If you care about mileage and efficiency Kia's DCTs and CVTs in general are the way to go and there's just no way around it for economy cars. There's also cars that simply have no reason for a manual besides efficiency, I don't see anyone lining up demanding a 6 speed option for the current Prius. See the Cobalt XFE and 1st gen Insights.

Way on the other end of spectrum at the stupid high end of the market no manual gear box is going to be faster than say Ferrari's current F1 or whatever Porsche and those other brands offer. If you want a manual there's no problem with that, enjoy it, but don't go around acting like it's superior when objectively it simply isn't anymore at that level.

V8 manual best for slow traffic, low down torque just put it in 3rd and idle along, lift the clutch and go beats the hell out of riding the brake in an auto

depends, sometimes SMT and such is more useful eg drift and rally cars. I mean if it doesnt pick the gear itself and I get to pick what gear it goes to at what instant its okay.
If not gimme manual.

because low powered shitboxes are much more fun in manual than they are in auto.
you can rev the shit out of the engine in second gear in hte middle of the city and not even break the speed limit.

I've spent 20 years driving manual, and my next car is an auto since manual trans for that model doesn't even exist.
There are some things I've noticed so far.

Good:
>literally brainlet easy mode
>traffic is effortless
>can manually select (maximum) gear if needed so there is at least some semblance of control

Bad:
>can't engine brake for shit (even tho it tries)
>trans shifts at times I would consider "bad", like in the middle of a corner
>have to constantly stand on the brakes and shoot retarded red laser beams into the eyes of the poor bastard behind me

This is going to take some getting used to.

>Unless you drive 24/7 in a busy city centre
Driving a manual in DC area traffic is kys inducing.

>Driving a manual in DC area traffic is kys inducing
How? DC is flat.

Yes and no. The main reason you want the auto is because it has the torque converter instead of a clutch, not because it automatically shifts. Also the only time you really need gear selection is just to hold first gear, and most autos for offroad vehicles let you hold the first gear.

not all of it, the highways are often clogged and dip under the surface streets in many spots. Also the on-ramps are rather steeply graded.

I drive my commute into a busy city daily. Still drive a manual. Don’t get why people seem to think it’s harder?

It’s no harder, you just get used to it as second nature. Though I don’t actually know anyone who has an automatic.

>eco
you want it light for better fuel economy -> a manual is better
>shitbox
you want it cheap -> a manual is better
it's a boring car, might as well not sap too much power and make it a bit more fun -> a manual is better
you want to overtake, you can downshift before even doing anything else, which an auto can't do -> manual is better
auto doesn't take in consideration what you want to do next or the fact that you maybe are in a turn -> manual is better
the only reason, then, is laziness or wanting to shave milliseconds off your time at the expense of enjoyement which makes little sense unless you're a pro
the only advantages, outside of performance (which is marginal, surely meaningless compared to the benefits of a manual), are the fuel economy (which hardly improves, if you've spent time with your car and know how to hypermile it), the engine should last longer (again, hardly noticeable since mishaps happen very rarely and don't cause noticeable damage) and the clutch too (slightly more relevant, but the clutch needs replacement after awhile anyway)

Xterra manual tows 3500 lb same year auto tows 5000 lb get recked why buy manual

why would you drive an auto at all?
unless your an amputee or something there's literally no excuse

That's why you don't buy those cars.

>on-ramps are rather steeply graded.
We must be driving different streets. I have no problem with a manual transmission in DC.

Even without the V8 thing
This.
Using a clutch is much better than riding a brake in traffic

Why would you drive a manual at all?

t. salty euro busrider

living in new york city, would never trade in my stick A4 for a automatic.

New ones are gonna be a 10 speed

>at the expense of enjoyement
It's subjective, there are cars I would absolutely prefer to be driving automatic if only because the cars suck in general. Also what is traffic and urban sprawl, a manual would be actively detrimental to my enjoyment driving around most of my current town. And then there's the ND Miata which I test drove and really enjoyed with it's 6-speed auto and paddle shifters, I'd love to try the manual version at some point but I was perfectly content in the demo car's config.

>outside of performance (which is marginal, surely meaningless compared to the benefits of a manual)
That's a complete lie and you know it, manuals have been left in the dust by modern high-end DCTs and are objectively the better option if you really car about the absolute best performance.

>fuel economy (which hardly improves, if you've spent time with your car and know how to hypermile it)
Except yet again manuals and CVTs have completely outmoded manuals as far as efficiency is concerned and they require significantly less effort to operate. This is another blatant lie.

>the engine should last longer
Completely dependent on the car, the engine, and transmission. That is a gross over generalization.

ITT: The Paladins of Automatic Cars aka

>Women
>Underage B&
>Flaming Faggots
>Trannies
>Homos
>Incompetent pussies

There is literally no reason to not drive a stick shift EXCEPT if you really, really, really need cruise control.

I would never drive a manual in a truck/car. I'll save that for my bikes.

>not owning a new, nice & comfortable daily with autotragic
>and a manual rwd car for fun

Fags, the lot of you.

Maybe not in a truck. Absolutely always in a car. And I also ride bikes, manual of course.

You don't need a manual in a 5000lb sedan. Some cars have to be manual but the vast majority these days are fine as an autotragic.

Manuals are for car hipsters who need a reason to stoke their ego. All it does it make your commute that much shittier. I've driven with numerous people who swear by their manual, but you know what? It's shitty riding in their car when you're constantly getting tossed forward because of shitty shifting. Git Auto, xD

I know this is bait, but manual hipsters are becoming a thing. I've been towing manual wranglers in equal proportions to subarus when offroad.

The southeast side of Pennsylvania Ave is one long ass hill into Maryland that is clogged to hell and back during rush hour. I used to do that commute in a 3k manual Civic and it sucked ass. Thankfully I have a telework job where I don't have to deal with DC area traffic anymore.

I try to explain this to people that manual is just more fun and engaging.
And I live in Houston and drive in traffic pretty fucking frequently.
Unrelated, but what's with blacks keeping their head as close as possible to the steering wheel. Jesus christ. Whiplash when that airbag goes off.

I think you mean as far away as possible from the steering wheel because they put their seat low and reclined

>drive 24/7 in a busy city centre
I live in Los Angeles and have wasted an undue amount of my life in traffic hell.

In nearly 15 years of driving in LA traffic, manual transmission has never been a problem.

Git Gud.

Tiny shitbox engines are bad, but the tiny shitbox automatic transmissions are even worse.

Stickshift isn't going to make your slow turd "fun" unless you don't know better, but it will certainly be easier to tolerate without a lazy slushbox bogging it down that much more. Economy automatics are fucking horrible.

>Implying that manuals can't have cruise control
My shitbox 5-speed Honda has cruise control, and it's from 1989. From what I can tell, the only difference is the addition of a second pedal switch, so that pressing the clutch will disengage cruise the same way that pressing the brake would.

If you're driving over terrain that's varied enough to require changing gears to maintain speed, you probably shouldn't be using cruise control in the first place.

>tfw a tranny fag w/o/man degenerate
>still drive a manual

And not just because the dsg version of my car can’t handle the torque of my planned mods

>drift cars
>mfw they're almost all manuals

>intentionally making driving a chore
People who drive manuals and don't take them to a track are the idiots, not the ones who drive automatics.

>tfw my autotragic 97 Maxima got better mileage than my manny 98 Mitsu RS

I gotta stop with the impulse buys. All I saw was a 5 speed and I was already driving it home.

What the fuck are you all talking about
Unless you're 14 and have driven a manual once, it takes all of a week to get enough of a feel for a manual transmission in literally any car to drive it like an auto
It is not "hard'
It is not "extra-work"
They are cheaper, simpler, absolutely fuck-easy to drive, especially if its a full face, non puck, organic clutch with synchros and modern assists

If you think driving manual is "hard" you literally have the brain power of a 15 watt lightbulb, I've daily driven a 5 puck, 600hp nightmare of a project car, and it was no more effort than my saab 9-3 6-speed or the automatic honda I grew up with

Manual doesn't subtract anything, but it offers more than any manual or "semi-manual/auto" could

drag racing

Would prefer manual over an automatic but would a hybrid ( which always are automatic) outweigh the negativity?

I like to keep both hands on the wheel whenever possible and IDGAF about LARPing as Ricky Bobby every time I drive. Unless its a sports car, manual transmission typically is an automakers' way to pass off an anemic undersized motor for a given car hoping you're less likely to notice since you can slam through the gears and do all that typical cliche stick shift jackass shit like skipping from 2nd to 5th going down a freeway onramp and throwing it down in 1st going 45 mph just to make the motor scream at redline for a cheap laugh. They're usually paired with the poverty-pleb Soviet grade trim levels that get you crank windows, no A/C and burlap-soft cloth seats.

Congrats, you took the Automatic redpill, user here's a 4G-tronic

Negatives*

I've driven manual cars before, its just more bullshit, it didn't feel more precise nor fun, just felt like shit the car should be doing. You also leave out in Europe gas is like $8 a gallon so of fucking course most cars are going to be some clown car sized hatchback with some dwarfish 4-banger motor so you probably need that ~10 ish HP that gets lost through an automatic transmission to not have glacially slow acceleration

I learned stick on a Toyota forklift of all vehicles, driven some manual cars but never really saw the appeal. I've only owned automatics, not from being unable to stick, but from having driven both and preferring not to.

Auto is more comfy, unless you're a delusional kid with racer boi fantasies, you probably wouldn't care.

Seriously, every single person i know or see that's jerking the manual transmission and saying it's the greatest drives a fucking 1994 corolla or subaru legacy or some piece of shit, no person who has a somewhat decent car really gives a shit, this is just some circlejerk opinion for retards and manchildren who drive shit cars to feel better about their shitboxes

"Haha your 2018 GT3 RS is automatic? I have much more fun in my 1994 1.4 VVTi™ Corolla, because i actually DRIVE it, it's not just controlled by a computer!!"

Blow it out your ass, user. You only say that since an A/T won't throw itself into 1st gear when its 20 mph over max gear speed on demand and you can't make it sound like a tractor making it go 15 mph in 4th or 5th

Im my region cheapest gas is like 1,49 € per litre. So yes small hatchbacks would be your best choice. And diesel doesn't seem to be an option anymore aswell.

You can manually shift an automatic but you can't make a manual transmission shift automatically

Diesel was subsidized in the EU for ages, they pulled the plug on that so diesel cars are less of the good deal they once were.

If you insist on shifting your gears why stop there? You should also shun power steering, and ABS brakes and motorized windshield wipers, hell even get rid of electronic ignition and crank your motor until it turns over manually, like a Model T Ford from 1921

Riddle me this, stick-humper: Why are drag cars and most modern day supercars automatic/clutchless DSG paddle-shift transmission then? Clearly manual transmissions aren't the end-all be-all for optimized off the line acceleration

>I like to make things as tedious as possible for myself, and so should you

Nigga you can still engine brake with an auto, just put it in 2nd/whichever gear is after D

I would literally fall asleep on my commute to work if I didn’t drive manual.

It’s the flattest shittiest most boring piece of road I’ve ever driven on, grabbing a knob at least gives me something to do so I don’t pass out from utter boredom

take this moment to consider that some "people" consider walking tedious and think that anyone who doesn't avoid it at all costs is just making life harder for themselves

that's the kind of person you look like when you rant about how manual transmissions are so hard

>manuals can't have cruise control

Guess how i know you're an underage busrider fantasizing about a 1994 manual VVTi™ corolla

All of those things are direct upgrades. Automatic transmissions are the opposite. They are quite literally an invention for lazy and stupid people.

This. I love driving manual because I think it’s engaging and fun, but dct/dsg all over manual in most application; racing included. No human can shift as quickly and smoothly as a dsg. That said a dry clutch auto is shitty for driving in traffic and you’ll kill it quick if you don’t let it fully engage the plate before moving forward. I have an my17 Polo GTI and I got the manual only because the stock dsg can’t handle higher than stock torque levels and I want to modify it.

luxury

Lol wtf fag cruise control exists on manuèl cars.

>you can rev the shit out of the engine in second gear in hte middle of the city and not even break the speed limit.
And the point of this is?

youtube.com/watch?v=N6tln07e2_E

Honestly modern Autos are better than stick in most ways except fun.

But if you want a track car there is no reason to get a stick.

Sad but true.

This desu

t. stick fag

enjoyment you fucking numale

I /sipp/ and drive

this
modern torque converters are efficient as fuck
thats why the new supra, for example, wont have a manual option

also my car has steptronic so it can still be fun to drive

what the fuck kinda crazy shit is this?

to learn the rules of the road on training wheels before becoming full fledged driver

Because I live in a city with some of the worst traffic in the nation and no one to teach me.

Yes, the MPG argument went out the window for manuals about 15 years ago. Now and then I see a car with a higher rated MPG in the auto version vs. the manual

(you)
>straining my motor regularly without grounds is hella cool, brooooooooooo, you should get a 5-speed so you can feel that powwah, son

Would you say S600 LWBs, Maybachs and Rolls-Royce and Bentley owners are stupid and lazy? All those vehicles are automatic and are considered the ultimate in refinement and luxury, which apparently is NOT giving a car a fucking handjob every last your behind the wheel of it.

EPA estimations have little relevance to real life driving, if you can properly drive stick it's not difficult to beat those window sticker numbers.