I live in Europe and I had never seen an automatic car, what are the advantages of owning one?

I live in Europe and I had never seen an automatic car, what are the advantages of owning one?

Your gf can give you a bj while you driving.

If you've ever experienced a real traffic jam, you'd know.

Imagine a city that was designed to account for 3 million residents. Now put 8 million people in that city and try to drive home from work. An autobox starts to make sense pretty quickly.

I have a DCT box in my DD and a 5 speed shitbox for fun.

More convenient, more cabin space, and usually the same acceleration, efficiency, and reliability as manuals, if not better.

I know this may come as a shock to average 'murrican but..
Big European cities have public transport, so there's no need to spend hours of your day in traffic jams.

Is there a tiny car gnome that changes the gears for you? Who does an automatic ACTUALLY work?

I know this may come as a shock to average Eurabian but..
Big American cities have public transport too, but gas is cheap so it's worth it to spend 15 minutes in a traffic jam instead of being crammed like sardines in a subway.

if you spend 15 minutes in a traffic jam per day you really DON'T need autotragic

Its pretty simple if its a Japanese car there are a few Japanese guys in there (one for each gear) that take your throttle input compare it to the load then select the gear for you.
On american cars is almost the same but with bald eagles (thats why they have shorter service lifes).

The USA is not a land where we live within the confines of "need".

You dont have shit knees past 30

so the whole arguement you tried to make here is invalid

First, that's someone else, but second, no, both statements can both be true. An automatic is incredibly convenient in a traffic jam but just because you're not in a traffic jam doesn't mean you can't have one.

>be me
>live in the dutch caliphate
>total commute to my uni is 50 minutes with public transport for roughly 9 km
>walk to bus stop
>get rained on because fuck people not living in or near amsterdam, you don't need shelter
>bus so cramped I'm lucky to even stand and not left there to wait for another
>smelly and rowdy rapefugees
>walk to another bus stop
>get rained on
>have to wait 3-5 buses to have a chance to get in
For dutchies, bus 15 in groningen to zernike is fucking awful
>get rained on from bus stop to uni

Or
>pay a little money for a bike, car, motorcycle
>spend less than half that time to commute to uni without being near smelly rapefugees
Public transport near amsterdam works pretty neat as long as the bus driver isn't beaten or stabbed. Anywhere outside of that area is laughable at best

Easyer to give your BF a hand job.

I don't drive a miata

I do. Can confirm.

>letting a girl in your car
Lol faggot

>>letting a girl in your car
Do you know where you are? He obviously meant gf(male)

There's way more traffic in Europe than here

LMAO

The advantage is that you don't need to shift in a traffic jam.

Public transport universally sucks.

This. Fellow dutchbro here, Going from Sittard to Heerlen is awful, especially now that they shut down the dedicated busses going from Heerlen station to the university.

Was in Europe recently.

Buses are automatic.

Rock climbing and being lazy, that's literally it

>More convenient
Agreed
>more cabin space
Only if they use a stupid dial shifter.
>and usually the same acceleration
Lolno. Automatics need more gears and a different rear gearing to achieve the same acceleration, unless they're DCT's, which get outshifted by sequential manual anyways.
>efficiency
Hell no. Torque convertor losses (traditional automatic) and more interia (DCT) means that they will never have the same efficiency. Different rear gearing to compensate for the lack of acceleration will only make this worse.
>and reliability as manuals, if not better.
If you think a VAG DCT is as areliable as a good old manual, think again. I'll only consider the reliability point as compared to bulletproof autos like the TH400 and such, but those don't get anywhere near modern efficiency or shift speeds. A modern TC automatic like the ZF 8HP on the other hand might be on par with a modern automatic in terms of reliability, but one look at an 8 speed's nonogram and you know how much agony working on those valve bodies would be.

>spend an hour on the bus to go 12 miles
>stand next to some homeless person who smells like piss
OR
>drive your own fucking car

Torque multiplication. Big V8s have god tier torque at low speed thanks to slushbox technology

>you get to be lazy

that is all

the disadvantages list is long enough to fill a book

Houston, LA, DFW, and the entire Northeast would like a word with you.

That's the point I was originally making. European cities and American cities were designed with completely different urban master plans. European cities are generally very old, and land was divided so that travel distances would be kept as short as possible because travel was hard and land was expensive. In the modern era, this has led to fairly high population density with fairly scarce thoroughfare. Mass transit is the best solution for that kind of environment, and it works really well in a European city.

In the entire new world, the cities *began* with a similar design philosophy, but all of the real hard urban expansion didn't start to happen until after the car was already in widespread use (except for in the greater Northeast). We built shit a lot further apart, because the difference between a 1 mile trip and a 5 mile trip didn't really matter; you're just going to jump in your car anyway. Land was also super, super cheap in the US for a very, very long time. Mass transit never took off very well, except for in the cities that developed early in the country's history.

Urban migration is also now (within the last decade) getting faster and faster and faster in the US. Roads in urban centers are universally overloaded, and nobody knows what to do about it. Mass transit can't work for a myriad of reasons, one of which is this difference in city planning.

This is why you have people sitting on the highway in Los Angeles for literally 4 hours. Or why highway construction has *tripled* in the last 10 years in Dallas, and most of it is toll roads. I love my 5-speed, but I'm not driving that thing to the office for any reason. Ever. I'll take the autobox.

Faggot.

how in the world does an auto make any difference to traffic?

>it works really well in a European city.
Confirmed for never having used the public transport in a European city.

t. European

listen to this user

Try to drive standard in a traffic jam and you'll figure it out pretty fast. It's for you, not for the traffic.

I don't have a passport.

I've been to NY a couple times though, and the subway was... Interesting. What I mean is that the model is way more appropriate over there. I understand that theory is not reality though.

>VAG DCTs
Can confirm, they're trash.

what's capital of europe?
are you a syrian user who just arrived in germany?

Have you ever tried using public transport in an American city? I've used public transport in lots of places in Europe, and I've had to get by using the busin a big Western city in the US. There's a huge fucking difference. You might think things suck where you live, but they're worse in America, and in my area, things keep getting worse because public transportation keeps getting cut.

bicycle?
>what is health?

The average commute in the US is like 20 miles one way.

Wew they shut down the uni buses? That is a new level of retarded

Which ever country in which the EU headquarters is based.

Because you know the EU legislation office runs everything there

You mean like London, Paris, Rome, Milan, Manchester or Madrid? Those places in smaller countries with less space and still millions of people.

I have to drive into a city that has the most dense population per sq/mile in the U.K. each day for work. Then there’s London and Paris is a bitch. Everyone still drives manuals.

I’m in NYC right now. Traffic is bad but not much worse than London. It’s probably because most Americans never learnt manual in the first place so it’s an added thought and pressure. Here where it’s the standard, honestly you don’t even think about it. You just shift gears as if it’s natural. If the fucking moron I went to school with that got an STD from fucking a girl with a used condom he found in a bush can do it then the yanks can. Same kid managed to watch his brother break his nose, then do the exact same thing and break his own.

I have faith in the Americans that they are capable. Just must seem like a different experience all together. I bet I would fuck up more in an automatic if you gave me one. My left foot would get bored, I wouldn’t know what It matters between 1/2 and the difference between park and neutral. No hand breaks?

It’s just familiarity.