Now that the dust has settled, are these 2 cars worthy of becoming part of the japanese legacy of affordable...

Now that the dust has settled, are these 2 cars worthy of becoming part of the japanese legacy of affordable, sporty cars in 20 years time?

miata is already part of the legacy
brz will be too despite what memers say

Once you start seeing used 86s for under 10k people will be fapping hard over them.

90% of the people complaining about these cars will suddenly be very excited once they can buy them on the used market for under 10k.

>Now that the dust has settled, are these 2 cars worthy of becoming part of the japanese legacy of affordable, sporty cars in 20 years time?
They will be remembered as the last small affordable Japanese sports cars

You're going to pay out the ass for a stock one in 20 years. The vast majority of them are riced out and stanced already. Most guys drive these things like grandmas so they might be in decent condition if those shitty FA's last that long.

How is the reliability on the new ND's, now that the transmission has been fixed? I wouldn't mind holding onto one for 10 years since it'll probably be my last chance to own manual, RWD car that isn't beat to shit.

This is my fear. A year ago I would have told you I was hoping something else would come in and trample all over it, and then I would buy one of those instead.

Now I'm back to wondering whether to modify mine or just say fuck it and get a miata and maybe quit my job and put an LS in it.

I don't think it'll happen, I'm assuming we'll get an Impreza effect where they're so well known to be a staple of car modding that people will be charging half the MSRP for a clean one because they know full well it's still the cheapest, most reliable platform for modding, just like 240sx's are right now.

All the money is shifting to more expensive Japanese cars like the LC500(not even kidding)

Hell, remember in 2011ish both Nissan and Chevy released small red concepts to compete with the 86. Now Nissan can't even make a worthy Z replacement. The days of small affordable sports cars is nearly dead. The ones that remain will probably all be hybrids in ten years.

Rwd* my bad

Convince me to buy a BRZ/86. Right now I'm looking for a '14-'16 Honda Accord coupe 6-6 in white or silver but that's like finding a unicorn in a haystack. I'm getting kinda desperate and this might be good for me even though the interior isn't as good and it's slower and less reliable.

>Nissan and Chevy released small red concepts to compete with the 86.
No, actually. What were they about? I'd been out of the car market largely until I needed to find a new car and didn't even know the 86 was some sort of meme machine rather than a reasonably priced manual RWD option that wasn't 20 years old and beat to shit already.

Test drive one and really beat on it. It's pretty clear they designed it for that one purpose and it's pretty lackluster in every other regard. So if you don't get a subjective thrill from using it as it was designed to be used, then you'll have not much more than the downsides to grimace about.

It just depends, do you want a big car or a small car?
They were both marketed as affordable, lightweight rwd cars that were fun to drive
Pretty much this. The 86 is a very specialized car, and if you don't enjoy rev matching and revving high then the car isn't for you. I happen to love that stuff

>when you thought USDM had already passed the apex of designing the ugliest cars possible
Jesus.

Also just light enough to flick it around like mad without going 100MPH. If the downsides aren't deal breakers, it's really a brilliant little car to make you want to pay more to get more next time.

the fuck are those abominations jesus fucking christ

Its going to be a repeat of the AE86 later on down the line. Right now, a clean AE86 can easily go for $20k or more now.

That's a cool model. 10/10 would buy.

Any idea if these cars have sold well? I wish we could get more of these.

Why do you want the coupe over the sedan? Large coupes suck.

What's the competition near you? I guess the sales numbers should be out there somewhere, but all I can say is the volume is low enough that people stop and stare and want to ask what mine is. I don't know if that's hype or rarity. I've never had people try to streetrace me before.

In the past year or two I've seen like one or two others show up. I guess I'd put it slightly more common than those Arbath Minis.

Here in the UK I don't think I've ever seen a single gt86, and there are plenty being sold second hand, so no idea what's the deal with them.

From what I gather they sell better in the US because they substantially undercut the European options price-wise, which is one of the key selling points: it's a sporty little car that isn't terribly nice, but you can get one on the cheap.

2 doors for classy whores

you know, YES, yes they will be. fuck shitposters who say otherwise.

Or like s2000s with people charging $6k for high milage examples with salvage or rebuilt titles.

Most of you can't afford a $27k toy as a second car like most people in NA do. Even as a daily the 86 is still considered a sports car over there and with that comes the long dick of the tax jew.

Buying the ND was one of the best decisions I ever made. The car is soooooo much fun, its funny how the miata a slower car gives me more thrills than a muscle car ever did.

Yea these things are gonna be popular for a long time same as all prev gen miatas.

One thing not many people realize is the new engine that mazda built the Skiactiv X fits in the ND. It Has a base power of 190 hp. Perfect amount of power for a lightweight roadster. The Mazda Speed ND is in the near future......

Did it come with a dental dam?

lol

test drive one.....

trust me...

It will win you over...

miata is already reached legendary status

brz will probably go the way of the 240sx here in the states, a rwd car cursed with an N/A engine when turbo power is just a signature away from the bean counters.

I really want to like the BRZ but it's just so slow. I know everyone and their mom has made this complaint but who spends almost $30k after taxes on a 15 second car. If I'm gonna be that slow, I at least want useable backseats and a nice ride.

There will be a NE MX-5, as it's a halo car that Mazda has to build for brand image reasons. Without it, they may as well sell the rest of their company to Toyota and go fishing. It's like the 911 in that respect. Porsche will likely kill the Boxster/Cayman, but the 911 will stick around despite low sales numbers, because it defines Porsche.

they should team up with toyota next time instead of fiat

then toyota can use the body and maybe the engine for the next generation 86

They should get the band back together with Ford. That way the memestang can go V8 only and Ford can have a new probe to throw the ecoboost in.

That would be the next-next generation 86, as the next gen 86 is supposedly a 2020 mod...wait, maybe it'll be the ND coupe everyone's been clamoring for?
>Ford gets to fuck up Mazda again
no no no no no no noooooooooooooooooo

>toyota/mazda joint produced 86/miat coupe
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

the last of pure "driver's cars" before the memes of EVs and automation take full effect.

clapistan ponycars don't count since they're already loaded with lots of useless options and electronics and the only ones worth getting (V8 versions) are priced out of the average joe enthusiast's price range.