How many of you own BMW's? Haven't posted here in months...

How many of you own BMW's? Haven't posted here in months. Trading my extremely clean 1986 300zx for a 2003 330xi also extremely clean and well maintained. my car has 99k miles, the BMW has 128k and the guy is a Z31 Enthusiast. Did I win or no? Pic is of my Z

This is the Car I am trading for.

No

The Z has more character, but the E46 is a better car all around. Depends on what you want from a vehicle.

Is that '86 a slicktop too? Seems like a rare combo.

My BMW

I'd like a BMW car but I'm scared it would make me an asshole driver.

BMW aesthetics are spot on IMO.

I had a 330ci for a year and I was a total asshole driving that thing. Don't know what it is about BMWs. They must inspire confidence.

yep I have had a couple full retard moments on my bike since owning it for the past 9 months, but I am always very careful about keeping my distance from the car in front, as I hate being tailgated myself.

the badge does something to you I swear.

I've had the Z for about a year, had an 82 supra before then. Im honestly over how slow old Japanese cars are and I have the money for maintenance. And I agree that they look extremely good but the Z is more rare and has more character. I've had good times in that car but I'm ready for something faster and more comfy. Also both are 5 speed

I want a 300zx but I'm scared about the running cost

The running cost is literally nothing if you find a clean one. I've only paid for oil changes and brakes. Just dont get one with electrical issues bc it will fuck you over

lmao I was thinking it's just me! got a 2014 428i few weeks ago and I've def had a lot of asshole moments even tho regularly I'm a defensive driver

I got a 2014 M235i and I find myself raging dangerously close to the edge every morning on my 40-minute drive to work.

This didn't happen nearly as often in my '89 VW Fox or my '01 Corolla.
Not sure if it's me being 23 year-old male, the car being a BMW, or other drivers getting worse. Maybe all 3?

tips from an owner;
-get one with rwd
-get one in manual, not automatic, if at all possible
-do a lot of test driving to find the one that you like best, be that an e39 or a z3 or an e36
-get one that was well cared for by its owner, which rules out used cars from dealerships which generally have no service history
a detailed extensive service history is incredibly important. Spend the extra 20% for -an immaculate super well cared for example, it's always more expensive to catch up on maintenance yourself vs finding a previous owner who did that stuff
-it's worth reading up on common issues, but make sure you are aware of what years saw those issues and when they were fixed in production. Like the weak subframe problem on the e46 mostly went away by 2002 for example
-you're going to get attached to it extremely quickly and will start pouring money into it of your own volition, but avoid mods until every bit of overdue maintenance has been done
-refreshing the entire suspension system of bushings, springs, and shocks will dramatically improve handling. do this before ANY suspension mods

>(98 KB, 960x720)
>My BMW
you trying to sell me on this 330xi or push me away from it? I hope i don't become an asshole driver when I get it lmaooo

I had almost the exact same feelings shortly before I got in a near-fatal motorcycle crash at age 24. My body has not been the same ever since that day.

Be careful. The gravity of thrill is intense, and hard to resist, but remember how fragile you really are.

Thanks for the advice! Sadly nobody wants to trade a nice e46 (and yes i have driven e36's, e39's, e34's and prefer the e46) that is rwd for my 300zx. I'm going to get the AWD to get me feet wet into the BMW crowd because it was a very clean car, reciepts for work done, coolant flushes when needed etc etc. It's got small rust spot on the rear quarter but its clean all around. I'm also checking the car out with my friend who has owned numerous e46's so I'm in good hands! thanks a lot for the adivce though, this board remains one of the non-shitty ones to date.

the awd is just annoying to be honest. it adds weight, it adds complexity, it changes the driving dynamics for the worse, and it makes suspension work and mods harder especially in the front because there's all this extra shit. messes with engine maintenance too since there's all these fuckin crossmembers.

also, be willing to travel a good way for a good one, an extra hour spent driving to look at or buy the right one vs ten minutes for a closer one will immediately be compensated by added time working on the car

I have heard the same about the AWD components in the xi's. But again, I just want some experience with BMW, not looking for any crazy power gains or anything. Eventually may possibly delete the front wheel components. However, I agree with the driving far thing. I drove 4 hours for my supra and 5 for my clean 300zx. this e46 is the cleanest ive seen in my area willing to trade and it happens to just be close by my town. i mean at least I'm getting out of the Japanese scene,

having to trade severely limits your options, is selling the 300 and buying an e46 later not an option?

Sadly it is not an option since I daily the 300 and i go to school 6 hours from my hometown so i need a car at all times. I could risk selling it early spring break and buying something during my break but it isn't worth it if i can't get anything. Plus, a 330xi will have more leverage in a trade versus a 300zx (as not everyone is a z31 enthusiast dying to get their hands on one)

story time please

No. BMWs are like the Chevy of German vehicles, powerful, sporty and stylish but also dogshit reliability and pleb-tier interiors. The other issue with Beemers is that owners take that Ultimate Driving Machine motto too seriously and drive these down to the nubs until they're on the verge of blowing the motor or the transmission or the differential and then punting it to the used car scene where some BMW novice snaps it up thinking all German cars have that Mercedes level standard of impeccable reliability and immortal durability.

Having owned 2 Mercedes 190Es and a Mercedes C280 I think its the result of these cars being so poised and stable all the way to the limits that naturally you will drive it all-out since unlike some burger-made car or tinny Japanese car these actually handle well as you push them as hard as they can go.

e39 520 manual.
Is it worth anything as a DD?

>leather and wood interior
>pleb-tier
lel
>inline 6
>dogshit reliability
LEL

Fuck off deluded merc fanboy

'97 E36 316i compact here.

Total shitbox but I got it for pennies, makes decent power for yuropean roads, has the best trunk I've ever seen in a hatchback, and I'm one of the few that likes its aesthetics.
Came in british racing green too, the best color ever.

>pleather and fake wood
kek

Why would you want wood in a car anyway?
The brushed alloy trim they make is much nicer

except that is real wood and nappa leather, poorfag

Did you consider coupe or convertible op?

Of course i have, but even then where I'm from (Chicago) charge for drift tax up the ass. a 200k mile vert e36 is apparently worth $4,000 so riddle me that bootleg shit

Since this is the Bimmer thread, what do you guys think of the e91 wagons make year 2009?

gud