Tesla Roadster will be launched to space Tuesday

Yeah, I know that Tesla isn't very popular on Veeky Forums. But, it's still pretty cool that a car is going to be in an earth-mars heliocentric orbit, no matter the company behind it.

Launch is on Tuesday! Hope it all goes well.

This most recent pic shows that they've added a dummy in the driver's seat too.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Tk338VXcb24
twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/960632250500042752
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwashiorkor
youtube.com/watch?v=aBr2kKAHN6M
youtube.com/watch?v=HcAaLycJvLs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is that a real car? It looks too small. Did they strip out the engine and batteries?

Weight reduction is so retardedly important in situations like these, it's probably just a body and frame. I doubt the engine, transmission, and other guts aren't completely gutted.

Also, why doesn't Veeky Forums like Tesla? People will be driving cars long after they stop burning dinosaurs.

There's no way that thing has batteries nor motors yet. They're betting on future technology saying that thing will get 0-60 in 1.5 second and get 500 miles of range at the same time (or whatever outlandish claims Tesla makes) when it's released in 2023 or something because of loltesla delays.

>tfw the money from this publicity stunt Falcon 9 launch could have been used to feed 720,500 children for a year with Feed My Starving Children

wew

I can't find details, but I don't see anything indicating that it isn't a fully functioning car.

> Weight reduction is so retardedly important in situations like these

Normally yes, but this is just a test payload for testing / demonstrating the technology. If they're choosing to demonstrate 'launching a car into space', I don't think they would be launching just the frame and body.

it's Elon's personal gen 1 roadster.

nope. a regular F9 could fly this easy. It's just a fun test payload. In fact, expendable FH could launch ~51 roadsters at once

this is the original roadster! not the new one.

>when you build a rocket capable of going to Mars but your companies are so shit no one trusts loading anything on it

Which is more valuable:

- Publicity?
- 720,500 Starving Children?

>Feeding useless people

Wew

it is typical for the maiden launch of a new rocket to have nothing but a boilerplate spacecraft / mass simulator. This is no different; except that the mass simulator is something cool.

The first F9 launch just had a wheel of cheese onboard, for instance.

Getting populations to feed themselves is more valuable

>tfw FMSC helps primarily disaster struck regions and not shit skin africa where people never work a day in their life

wew

>useless
>implying they won't be building batteries

Kek they havent even developed them.

What ever they showed on that presser was a very rough prototype. Doubt they even where hitting anything close to the 0-60 times either.

Here is the right car for you.

This is musks personal first gen roadster in the rocket. There's nothing about the second gen. But yes during the press conference they rotated prototypes to make sure none broke down.

I like Tesla!

>Can't feed themselves
>Not useless

Pick one

Nobody likes you

Thank you Anonymous.

they did hit 1.9. Some press members brought GPS speed sensor things for the test launches.

there was a single gen 2 roadster for the press to get launched in. It was the only one doing launches for the entire event.

if it has >100kw I will DD that with no second thoughts

>go to their page
>turns out it's all third-world niggers after all

there's a mini roadster and starman on the dash, aww

if they are going to Africa, it's third party missions orgs which are buying their food packs from them and giving them out there, FMSC as an org only gives to disaster relief areas.

If you zoom in closer there is actually a micro roadster and starman on the dash of the mini roadster on the dash of the roadster as well. Good eye.

probably just a reflection. we'll know soon enough

the starman has his left arm on the door, what a lad

Wow they seriously already launched it, that was quick! Muskyman delivers on time for once

Almost all such programs have been shown to divert most of the money into private hands. A lot of the foreign government officials require personal aid money payments for the privilege of foreigners taking care of their population.

Another factor are those numbers such as 720K children fed. They are often obtained from reports collated from foreign governments that received the aid. Money is designated to this place with 1000 children. Money is sent to this place with 2000 children. Etc. The total children add up to 720K or whatever number looks good. But what do terms like "sent" or "designated" actually mean? Actually mean? There's no certification all the money was used and expended upon the children. Remember that sending $1000 to the orphanage where the officials and staff take $950 of that as salary and benefits which their government has NOT paid them still counts as "for the children" even though no children received the aid of that money. Adults received the aid of that money. Not the children.

And yes, it's crooked. To receive foreign aid GRANTS from the USA government, the foreign countries show that they are taking care of their orphaned and abandoned children. They don't pay the staff though but just have them on the books to show the USA inspectors. Those foreign govts then double-dip and have foreign aid NGO donations pay the salaries with these "Give money to the 720K children" campaigns.

inb4 it explodes 5m off the ground

The whole point is to test the rocket with a payload. So if anything, they want it to weigh a lot.

Get the fuck out

As long as pad is okay it's fine.

>People actually believe that nonsense.

biology brainlet

Look at the door in the background.

youtu.be/Tk338VXcb24

twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/960632250500042752

three cameras onboard

>the size of the payload fairing

is this that "wow those black kids say they're starving but their bellies are so big!" meme?
that distended belly happens from a particular nutrient deficiency in it's last, worst stages.

sats are big, dude

here's a good image for a size comparison to a person (bottom-right inside the fairing)

Combustion engine does it again.

inb4 catastrophic failure and this guys Tesla rocket lands on my house

>Hey lets all use electric cars and reduce consumption to save the earth

>Hey lets be really wasteful and launch this car into for no fucking reason.

Because were not blindly sucking Muskcock like you are.

>what is a mass simulator

either do the most basic of research or kys

why send a car to space? This makes zero sense.

look up "mass simulator" or "boilerplate spacecraft". It's extremely common to launch just a hunk of steel for the maiden flight of a new rocket. Instead of doing that, Elon's just having some fun.

> 2018
> “Diversity” has gotten to a point where the token minority is a white kid

I want to go back

>blindly trusting whatever someone with power and money tells you

If it was launched by an electric rocket i might be impressed enough to buy a shitty tesla.

Electric turbopumps are hot

Wait is the roadster going up an original, or a 2.0 prototype?

If that's the case then launch something more useful than a stupid car.

>Charge test
>Weight reduction is so retardedly important in situations like these

Pick One

can you read? They don't want to launch anything useful, since it's a test of the ROCKET. This isn't a SpaceX *thing*, it's an industry thing dating back to the 50s. Initial launches of new vehicles have a mass simulator, not an expensive satellite.

Did you not look at the image?

>they've added a dummy in the driver's seat too.

That poor intern.

>Tesla in "production hell"
>Can't build cars fast enough to satisfy paid orders

Let's take one we already built, put it on a rocket and shoot it into space!

you are so smart
I bet Elon Musk never though of that
he should totally sell it instead

As far as i know its used as a dummy payload. It should be fully loaded and not gutted. The point of it is being heavy to test the rockets capabilities.

Tesla reminds me of those kids that played portal and called a bunch of shit "Science!" without actually knowing about or doing science, and eventually got into nigger rigger engineering (aka what tesla does)

>If it was launched by an electric rocket i might be impressed enough to buy a shitty tesla.
They plan on doing something like that with the BFR:
>put solar cells on mars
>put chemistry lab on mars
>produce methane and oxygen out of CO2 and water
>fuel rockets with that

It is just a test if the rocket actualy works, they even admit that it might explode.
So they send up something that weights about as much as a sattelite, but doesn´t matter if it explodes, other companies use watertanks.
The "Science" is for the engineers to study wich part fails and has to be improved or how to increase payload capabilities.

Last thing they tried was a differend descend profile for the booster that requires less fuel but also stresses the booster at 28g while firing 3 engines instead of one.
It worked as expected, they managed to do a water landing.

Improvements like that increased the Falcon-9 payload from 10,450 kg to 22,800 kg while getting reuseable.

>It should be fully loaded and not gutted

>outgassing of struts and random lithium battery explosions cause it to go out of earth-mars orbit and crash into Jeff bezos house in 10 years

lol

>Fuk u wyt peepo
>ow fuk
>wyt peepo hewp

Imagine being so much of a Chad that you put your own fucking car into space just because you fucking can.

They are fat as can be.

Wow, I thought launching trash into space was only something that happened in dystopian sci fi.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwashiorkor

>gimmie dats
>needd mo' money fo' dem programs
It is not Elon Musk's responsibility to support and enable millions of lazy idiots with welfare that are too dumb to stop making babies when they cant even support themselves

gtfo

10/10

Is the dummy astronaut a Heavy Metal reference?

youtube.com/watch?v=aBr2kKAHN6M

Honestly, I'll admit it. I hate tesla and all that, but this is aesthetic as fuck.

youtube.com/watch?v=HcAaLycJvLs

some music.

The dude iwth his arm on the door is pretty great. dunno. First 'modern art' piece that struck a cord iwth me.