What insentive is there for a 20 something college student to purchase a 86/BRZ over a WRX?

what insentive is there for a 20 something college student to purchase a 86/BRZ over a WRX?

where i live their spitting distance in price

Other urls found in this thread:

kbb.com/ford/mustang/2011/gt-coupe-2d/?vehicleid=352752&intent=trade-in-sell&mileage=68734&pricetype=trade-in&options=6333670|true&condition=good
ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IMPREZA-STi-Version-4-1999/282818041762?hash=item41d944d7a2:g:xvMAAOSwkV5aZPdO
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

one vape n scrape scene is less obnoxious than the other.

I'll let you guess which one though.

cost of ownership will be lower. better mpg, cheaper tires, cheaper insurance, etc

My $4,800 car is faster than both of them and less cringe as well.

The BRZ is lighter, rwd, and a coupe. If those things are what you want in a car then get it. If you care more about power than those other things then get the WRX.

i think thats both if them desu but i care little for stigma
coupes get higher insurance rates than sedans where i live lmao

my dad has an RF miata he lets me borrow sometimes, it handles well but im not too impressed with the acceleration, would the WRX be good at that? if i do go for it it will have been one if the most powerful cars ive ever driven

but then again I'm in flipland, 200hp.is considered mighty plenty here

There isn't any. Don't ruin my insurance rates. It sucks and you won't like it. Brash your WRX into a tree.

honestly ive never driven an awd cars and the only "rwd" cars ive ever driven are 4x4s with 4x4 disengaged

reviews online dont give me a good idea which one is better desu

>less cringe

you are the only thing here that is cringeworthy

they're both trash. buy something interesting instead.

like?

none, a 99 STI outperforms both at a lower cost

Until it breaks down from being beaten on for almost two decades.

and the repairs will still cost less than buying either of OP's choices

im not in the position to buy a seconhand car for various reasons

>better looking
>can drift
>don't have to worry about keeping replacing the tires all at once
>600lbs lighter

Sadly this

is it worth
more practical
faster

>86 is a cool 2 door
>86 is better on fuel
>86 is cheaper to maintain (no awd system)
>you can hoon more in rwd car
>they've watched too much initial d
>insurance is more expensive on wrx due to turbo, power, and reputation (at least where i am)

>implying op wants the engine swap his daily within a year of buying it

Not every car needs to be a project

OP don’t look for advice here. I bet most of these retards don’t even have their license, and the ones that do probably haven’t driven a toyobaru or a wrx. The best way for you to decide is to test drive both and see which one you prefer. Don’t let a bunch of bus riders make your decisions for you.

Dude buy a shitbox.

which of the 2 cars will better hone my skill as a driver
and between the two which would you pick?

im broke as is man i dont have nekther time nor money for that

there are no test drives in my area
its worth noting 90% of my driving will be city driving
because i barely have enough time to go out of city limits to drive on decent roads (but i do whenever the oppertunity preswnts itself)

BRZ will probably keep you out of trouble better. Not too much engine and the computer training wheels will keep you in check until you learn how to toss it around.

just buy an auto shitbox, city driving sucking fucks

but this will be my only car for a considerably long time

i want something to grow i to yknow? and mods are hard to comebye in flipland
also worth noting i have no experience in that business

If you can't learn how to have tons of fun in a BRZ then you can't learn how to drive. I thought I hated mine for about the first year.

Maybe it's not the best fun possible. But it's just fucking fun. If you want to go for a WRX then that's different. It's more likely to give you power instead of skill.

I'd go BRZ/86 because I live in Australia so AWD would be a waste here. The BRZ/86 will hone your skills a lot more as AWD cars don't tend to give you the same level of danger and control when cornering in a RWD car (assuming traction control is turned off). I'm on a budget so the BRZ/86 appeals to me due to the lower running costs

So you have the money to buy a brand new car but not enough to buy a much better older one and fix it up

wtf user do you even math

or do you really want to pay for the "new car feel"

Fixing up broken parts doesn't make it a project car, and even if he drives a new car hard it will still require regular maintenance

He said he doesn't have the TIME to fix up a car. Learn to read you mong.

>being in college
>not getting mustang

Get fucked, you cuck

Mustangs are like an extra 2 or 3 feet off the ground. And then there's always the V6 one trying to make noise.

if you don't have the time for a car what are you even doing here

just get the more reliable then, which is... neither really...

get a lifted hybrid crossover, that's what the normies like these days, i hear the new Juke's going to be a hybrid

>tfw 24, in university, and just got a BRZ
mine was used, and probably wasn't raped quite as hard as a WRX would have been. 4 doors are overrated.

Fox Body Mustang. It’s the brz with the power figures that it needed. Tons of torque with a similar HP figure.

You can finance a 2011 5.0 for around 20k max and have 7k left for maintenance.

KBB says 12k for a 70k mile example, idk how but it's probably more like 16-20k. Pretty cheap.

kbb.com/ford/mustang/2011/gt-coupe-2d/?vehicleid=352752&intent=trade-in-sell&mileage=68734&pricetype=trade-in&options=6333670|true&condition=good

I've seen this dude who lifted weights with his girlfriend and she would check me out at the gym. I later saw him walk to his scion fr-s and I just had to laugh.

>4th and 3rd gen rex
eww
>getting a classic Rex
man of distinguished taste

Fuck that. I'd rather get a miat and swap an LS with my own hands.

That’s fixed with $125 for lowering springs. S197 mustangs have better weight distribution and the GT has a better power to weight ratio than the 86.

Good for you. Benchracers are fags. Don't be a fag enabler.

juke is cute my sister has one not as bad as you think

id really wand to have fun but im fairly underwhelmed by the Miata, then again ive never taken it out of the city
i too live in a dry land with no snow but i dont feel like dying , awd sounds safer to be honest but ive never driven one.

like i said tho 90% of my time is city driving so id like to take that into consideration. which one would be funner then?

how is it? as a daily driver?
mustangs in flipland have an INSANE price hike. whats equivalent to 60 grand for a mustang? no thanks lmao i would but i cant afford it

I don't care what it costs. The only thing I want more of out of my BRZ is another 500lbs or more lighter. The V8 is just the cherry on top.

Keep your bigass boat.

If thats the case with mustangs, I would pack my bags and fly over to the US and stay here forever lol

The other night I took a crazy bunch of twisty roads I didn't understand, but I supposed I should give it my best effort. It felt like madness tossing my almost gokart around in between looking out the side window all the bridges, hills, and city lights go by.

I have to figure out wtf road that was because it wasn't what I had planned on. All on hektic bit of snow.

Yeah, I'm dailying it. I have a 20 minute highway commute to work, with some optional twisty back roads, and a 15ish minute commute to school through the city in traffic. Overall it's pretty great; gets good mileage, not too stiff (but still pretty stiff), has enough space for moving around all my shit/groceries/odd piece of furniture, and is small enough to park/maneuver easily.

It feels like an old 90's shitbox with how plasticky and simple the interior is, but in a good, no-nonsense kind of way. I hate cars that are completely overladen with tech. Overall good car imo.

welp if i get brand new it will have that obnoxious screen God dammit

They all have it. It serves no purpose. It's just a 2-din hole.

This.
I plan on swapping it out for pic related, or something similar, as soon as I can. Touch screens are ass. Word of advice though; don't get it new. Find yourself a used one, and start modifying whenever you're ready. From what I've gathered, the aftermarket is half the fun of the platform.

wrx is not that fast it gets btfo in every single metric but practicality by a 2zz spyder.

BRZ has a soyboy grille

Get the WRX.

Much more practical, better for snow and harsh climate, significantly better performance in every metric, can modify and get actual results

Plus you can actually own a car that has performance to back it up

Have you driven a WRX and BRZ?

yep, test drove both of them a few times.

The brz has better, more direct steering but is a lot slower, impractical, and uncomfortable inside. Personally, I couldn't handle how slow the BRZ was for how expensive it is.

If i wanted a track slut, sure the brz could be a fun car to modify and track. But as my only car? No chance

no the center infotainment i can handle
its the one in the god damn gauge cluster that looks like shit to me

i cant get used since my parents will pay a chunk of the cost it if i get new

i want a fun car to hone my driving skills

i live real close to my parents and they have a shit box suv i can always borrow if i need practicality

Just don't get the sport-tech model, nigger.

boxer engine send you broke. buy a corrolla instead.

How about test riding them instead of depending on the opinions of BRZ shills and shit posters.

They'll both get you from A to B in a somewhat fun matter. One has been proven over decades to be fun while the other is turning out to be a drug out meme. One has resale value due to it's heritage and the other dealers don't really want to take it as a trade in and will low ball you an offer just to get you to go away. One's special editions are actually thought out while the other is just a resprayed white car with some fancy bits stuck to it. One sits on the lot for weeks/months and the other is often sold before pictures can even be posted on the dealers website.

I test drove the BRZ when it came out and was overly disappointed at what you got for the 30k+ price tag at the time. Now that I can find them in the 10-15k range they are a lot more attractive to me. But as a new car? WRX every time.

o ly one model here in flipland friend

The fact that you talk about your $5000 shitbox and compare it to brand new cars is pretty damn cringey, son. Everyone who knows anything about cars knows that there are cheaper, used cars that are faster than brand new cars.

Lol, first of all depending on where he is a 1999 STI might not even be available. Even if it is, it is rice-taxed to high heavens by now and having to do something like an engine rebuild is going to cost a fucking lot. The cost is not very different, lmao

Do you even know anything about Subaru's?

The BRZ is a totally different car. It's way lighter, it's RWD, and it has a superior shifter/manual transmission (in terms of feel).

Even though the WRX is significantly heavier (like 350-400lbs heavier), it's way, way faster because it has way more HP/TQ, AWD to put that power to the road, and comes with stickier tires straight from the factory.

The BRZ is more nimble and more communicative, the WRX is a brute in comparison that will make you feel like a superhero because it has mechanical grip for days. The WRX is also a way more practical vehicle - sizable trunk, rear seats that actually have a decent amount of leg-room (think Camrys and Accords of days past), and pretty respectable mileage on the freeway. AWD + good tires for the season means that you don't give a shit about whatever the fuck is happening outside ever. Subaru and Jeep dudes are the only people who are actually happy when there's a blizzard. But be prepared to feel the rage and impatience build as you watch pig-fat trucks on their all-terrains and shitty CUV's and SUV's with their cucked "All Wheel Drive" systems and all-seasons crawling along at 15mph in front of you.

The BRZ will be a better teacher as far as good driving skills/habits because it's a balanced car and won't mask your mistakes as much. You'll also be sitting a lot lower and feel like you're in an actual sports car because of how close you are to the road.

interesting insight
the only bad weather here is rain
also shitty streets with potholes galore

between the two which is a better city driver? sincee that'll be 85% of my time driving

The BRZ is the car you start with

The WRX is the car you get when your wife tells you to buy something safe and practical
>it's a 2018 model honey, lots of airbags
>sit in the back seat
>roomy, huh?
>it has AWD so it's safe in the rain and snow
>you saw all those subaru commercials, right? they lived because they bought a subaru!

They are totaly different cars. I moved from a 2014 WRX to a 2016 BRZ because the BRZ was (is) more fun, better steering feel and you can get closer to the limit on the roads.

>Even if it is, it is rice-taxed to high heavens

Poorfag

ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IMPREZA-STi-Version-4-1999/282818041762?hash=item41d944d7a2:g:xvMAAOSwkV5aZPdO

>Subaru and Jeep dudes are the only people who are actually happy when there's a blizzard
Just cause you can't enjoy snow without awd nanny doesn't mean there aren't others who do. Fwd is best wheel drive if you daily a car year round where there is heavy snow.

Back to topic: BRZ is an objectively better car in every way except for power. If that's all you care about, fine. Go WRX.
>between the two which is a better city driver?
I'd go for BRZ personally in that situation, gets better mpg's and no reason to waste the extra money with awd.
More importantly for a city car though is to go sit in both and see which you would rather plant your ass in for an hour while you sit in traffic jams. Can definitely make it or break it if something pisses you off about the interior.

honestly didnt expect this much in the way of the brz
thank you for the input

rwd > awd when it comes to fun. snow, gravel, road, anywhere: rwd will happily skid at low speeds while in order to have proper fun with awd you have to do some scary shit. and if you'll ever decide to take your car to the track, especially small one, impreza will definitely feel more clunky

source: my ass, i never drove impreza outside of simulators. just saying that based on my subjective beliefs and bits of not necessarily confirmed information i have, as a 20 something college student i'd surely pick 86 over wrx. as a person who wants to do cool stuff with my car and not just go fast, i find it way more appealing.

wrx is both more comfortable and more practical then the brz tho

id personally want to have fun while staying safe desu

AWD won't keep you safe. It'll just get you unstuck. Driving a car fast in low traction is what it is.

You have no idea how hard you have to turn, brake, and accelerate to fuck things up though. FR car in winter isn't "oh no, i'm going to spin out" time it's "i hope i don't get stuck on a hill" time.

this
>got my miata, first fr car in my life
>every normie is like "oh rear wheel drive, you gonna die in the winter"
>turns out that skidding in the winter is more natural thing to do than anything i ever experienced in FF car
>i feel safer and more "in control" than i ever did, car handling is now logical and predictible, it wasn't like that in ff shitbox

i thought that meant "having fun while staying safe" as an gt86 praise: that slower FR is safer because you don't need to go fast in order to go fun, therefore saving you from doing retarded fast stuff you'd surely do in your WRX. awd won't save you from yourself, but rwd might convince you to go slower (but sideways). now when i think about it, i probably misinterpreted it.

demonic trips, where i live we dont have winter tho so i guess thats a point for the 86
my dad has a miata and i personally find it underwhelming to drive as it is not even as fast as my dads ford explorer sport. I rarely get the oppertunity to go onto curvy roads anyway.
but i see your point. THe miata is a blast to go on even slowly but i really do get a kick out of that knock back factor more powerful cars have

WRX might be the one for you then. The AWD is pretty boss. While the BRZ is tits in the snow, if you don't get your marbles rocked in a Miata then a BRZ will probably leave you limp.

>"broke"
>buying a new car
Kys

No idea. I never had a chance of affording either in school. I guess good job of having the choice.

I'd get the WRX. It at least has some level of practicality with its back seat and hatchback. As a college fag, I ended up storing a lot of my stuff fin my car so my room wasn't so crowded. Having that little extra space is nice.

bump

Brz all the way
But in your case WRX since ur barely ever going to see fun roads
Enjoy those city pulls with turdbo

>2zz spyder
>wrx
>comparable

They are as far from each other as physically possible. The Spyder is far rarer, so finding one in good condition is kind of hard. They are also ugly to most people, too. I personally kind of like them, but the stupid dimple on the bumper of the pre-facelift model turns me off. Clean facelift models are exceedingly rare and quite expensive, too.

broke by the timee i buy the car jeez

Fiesta ST Pros: Much less expensive, way more torque, roughly the same lap times, practicality, android auto, dank recaros if you aren't fat, roughly the same lap times on track.

Cons: looks can be polarizing, its a hopped up eco box, wrong wheel drive,

Give it a test drive at the very least, I love mine. Only advice is if you do think about it is to get the seats

doesn't exist in my market lol

Subaru Levorg

AWD is only safer if you're being a complete retard and pushing the car past its limits

You can still get into trouble either way if you don't know what you're doing.

That looks like it hurt

What happened here?

doing nearly 100 into a right hand turn.... AWD only does so much

He didn't have it pointed in the right direction ahead of time. Common mistake for Subarus.