/CCG/ - Classic Car General

/CCG/ - Classic Car General

Re-gearing an axle edition.

Generic copy/pasta incoming:

>Cars are considered classic at 25 years old, but a vehicle really needs that certain something, to be classic.

>Everybody has their own taste, enter if it's of age or rarity.

>Post your classic, your work on it, your hackery, and get advice.

>Any and all discussion about classics welcome, but may not necessarily generate responses, don't get butthurt.

>Any and all classics welcome regardless of nationality.

>Performance > Cosmetics

>Classic shitbox > modern shitbox.

>It's perfectly fine to use RTV. Ignore the haters.

>If you see rust there is probably more

>You will inevitably spend twice your budget, no exceptions unless you mint your own hash coins.

Other urls found in this thread:

montgomery.craigslist.org/cto/d/78-ford-bronco/6453454616.html
foxnews.com/auto/2018/02/06/philippine-government-crushes-dozens-luxury-and-classic-cars.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How hard is re gearing and adding a posi to a 10 bolt?

Its happening Veeky Forums you may not like it but this thing is going in there with an auto trans. Fuck your crate 400 meme!

Complete regearing will be very difficult because of the pinion gear however installing a posi unit shouldnt be too difficult because it can only be adjusted one way.

Auto is perfectly fine.

Dat fuckin pith helmet...

And Checkum!

I'm doing a dana 44, not sure about a 10 bolt. Its going to be a chore but it won't be too hard. The hardest part will be getting the back lash, pinion depth, pinion bearing drag torque, and gear tooth pattern all within the correct limits because moving one affects all the others.

Why do you say because of the pinion?

>moving to a place with a garage for the first time in my life
Time to buy another project car, take it apart, and let it sit there for 10 years saying "gon fix it sum day" every day, can't wait

Don't forget; "It's not for sale. I know what I got."

>not finishing your projects

wut*

>finishing a project
For the cost of finishing one project you can start 10 new projects. Finishing projects is just a bad decision from a mathematical standpoint.

He was discussing starting a project and never finishing it, so I was bringing out the boomer cliches.

NO LOWBALLERS
25K INVESTED

Tfw barely counts as a classic

How u like that harbor freight crane? Did it give u any problems

Not him but my HF crane rusts wherever a water droplet touches it.

Anybody live out near Ft. Mojave, Arizona??

Looking at an old plymouth, but need someone to check it out for me, since I'm on the other side of the country.

On a related note, who here has shipped a car cross country, and what did you pay? How hard was it to set up?

Wouldn't mind driving it across the country, but you never know how that will go lol

Got mine shipped to my place across the country for 800$, I think I got a deal though.

My harbor freight jack stands have started to bent a few degrees backwards under load, is that ok

RARE BODY COLOR
SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY
NO TEXTS!!!

I got $3000 in the motor alone so I aint sellin for less than 6k

>transmission has 2 operational gears

I really want to ship that 1600$ (was dropped to 1300) jeep I posted here recently to my home, was only about 400 miles away. But I got food poisoning and stomach ulcer after visiting my grandparents overseas, so I've been stuck at my folks' place while recovering. Sold last week... I have shipped a car from Houston to Waco when I didn't have time to pick it up, was about $350, didn't have any problems. But I already owned that car so I don't know about how you're supposed to pay the seller. With the jeep, I was going to suggest to the seller he make an eBay listing so I could buy it and be covered by their protection. I imagine paypal would also have protection

Found a hashtag Goals image on Pinterest of what I want my finished project to look like. Plus rear wheel flare and window lovers. Maybe dual white racing stripes too but haven't decided yet on that part

>Live in area where people say this unironically
>$12000 Convertable '93 Mustang

What are some classic European cars which look cool but are slow as shit?

Something like the Opel Gt

Whoops, forgot the pic, and got the price wrong.

The trick is to keep it drivable and only restore it little by little. That way, you never lose interest and each time you add something you are making your weekend car, that little bit better.

Be careful when getting quotes. It was gonna be about 800 to get a car from MI to AL for me (didnt get the car sadly), but all the companies just kept calling a month after i got the quote. About 3 of them sounded like they were ran by Kevin from the office.

In the last thread, yall were talking about how boomers talk down to yall cause "m'knowlege" and it made me think of the 1 with a 70 dart and he compared it to mine.

>"you wanna see a real dart?"
>"70 is better than 72!"
(Almost identical)
>muh V8
>muh 4spd
>"this a real dart!"
>so much better than yours!
Ya, well you also paid 30k for yours where i didnt even pay 4... and im driving mine while you trailer yours.

paying more = better

MUH $30k V8 RUSTBALL OF THESEUS IS BETTER THAN YOUR $4k PRISTINE NUMBERS MATCHING I6 CAR

Also isn't the only difference between a '70 and '72 Dartiant the grille?

Karmann Ghia? Just buy a fire extinguisher lol

ONLY 5 more years before my swifteroo becomes a classic im so hyped OMG ;3

Pretty sure the 72 is longer, correct me if I'm wrong moparfags

I've has 2 good experiences with boomers. One was an old dude I met in a church parking lot before going into a diocese-wide mass confession. Like 15 priests in a church all doing confession with Disneyland tier lines. Everyone trying to wipe the slate before Easter
>pull up in my 79
>"nice car, bet you get a lot of sinning done driving that on the weekends"
>look over and it's an old guy getting out of a late third gen black IROC Z
>asks what year it is and I inform him of my frankencamaro
>he chuckles and says "hey man whatever gets the job done, this ones a EFI LA swap with a 5 speed"
>gets back in and revs it a little
>in a parking structure
>at church
>alarms start blowing up
>gets out says "whoops" and gives me a little wink
>I met black IrocZ Satan and he tried to temp me

Second time was with my 84 firebird that was in great condition and had t tops. And old guy outside the bank was like nice car and told me how when he was late thirties he drove one around got this dreamy look in his eyes

LS* swap

Im unsure of the specifics, but i think the 72 is like an inch or so longer, and i think the 70 had the lond wide speedo vs a round one.

Dont get me wrong, his was much nicer, but fuck off dude.

Seems about right. Foxbody has been rising in price, which means some retards think that their car's suddenly worth as much as a V8 1st gen Mustang.

It gets better.
Sit tight, I've got another ad

Mercedes' output from the 60s-70s. You look like money in the car, and everything I've seen and read makes them seem super comfy.

By the way, how was it to work on that 2nd gen? I'm also looking at possibly getting a '77-'81 Firebird and I was wondering about ease of ownership. Since you're the one who's modded their Camaro to hell and back...

DeLorean.

He's tastefully omitted that it has Lambo doors.
This is also not a classic, so any more ludicrous ads will be from pre 1993

Discounting Lambo doors, I could see that for 5? 6 maybe? Fox4 are going for < $3K all day every day in Florida. Maybe this is just whacked out exchange rates with syrupland.

> Looks up exchange rate
> ~$8000 USD
nevermind, this man's still in the loonybin.

Boomer-tier ads are ALWAYS classic.

Oh they're classic now. I rarely see one on the road anymore, especially a nice clean stock one. I only know of 2, a beat to shit 2wd f150 and a beat to shit jacked up highboy. Mines going to be clean and fairly stock. I want to pick up a nice era-correct camper shell for it for camping and hunting trips.

More pics of your dent op

It was honestly super easy. This was my first major forray into auto enthusiastship and I did literally everything myself

Ghia is hipster mobile now/.

Of course it is. It shares a platform with the original hipster mobile.

or the "Loonie" bin, eh?

Hey, Drac, were you fucking with us about a suitcase full of lemons? You're not a joker.

The man likes lemons and hubcaps. Who are you to tell him how to live his life?

Is this Drac?

Yes i believe so, I saw him on TV once.

Can confirm they're easy as fuck to work on.

Nice. Gonna get a clearcoat for the topcoat soon?

I'm gonna make a lemon grenade and bun your house down. WITH LEMONS!!!!!!!11!

>Nova Scotia

It rusts but it always does the job without issue

The front end is not a good looker but the rear end is just amazing

Did u have the rear wheel flare installed already or did you put those on?

Volvo p1800, Amazon, 140, 240

Removed the sub frame, going to get new body bushings and move the trans mount to fit this engine

LS?
Why?

Fuckin nice, junkyard LS master race

>Putting modern engines in classics

>The hardest part will be getting the back lash, pinion depth, pinion bearing drag torque, and gear tooth pattern all within the correct limits because moving one affects all the others.
Found with Ford cases that the pinion depth was machined the same across all of them and the shim made up any differences in the gear so just using the same pinion bearing shim hit that dead on every time.

>pinion bearing drag torque
Now that's the fun one. Since you're also collapsing the crush sleeve, and with a friction nut at that, most impacts won't get there. There've been times I've been under a car with two of us on a breaker bar and a 5 foot cheater pipe just to get enough torque with some semblance of control. Don't want to go too far and waste a crush sleeve. Oh and it should be noted that the torque rating is continuous torque, not breakaway which will be higher. You have to read the wrench as it's turning. So it'll spike and then fall back.

In all seriousness that is a super clean fox. Although the thought of lambo doors makes me want to vomit. He could maybe get like 8k around here (dfw metro) if he really tried.

This. It's what I've always done. Occasionally there's some labor overlap between jobs but it's worth it.

I really hate that the previous owner of my Bronco fucking bed liner'd it. I would be cool with a ratty faded paint job. At least it's a 4x4 with bed liner and not a 2wd. At this point I'll probably never paint it. That shit is just too fucking hard to get off.

My dent?

Sell it. Buy this. Paint it black and red, and blast Dragula

montgomery.craigslist.org/cto/d/78-ford-bronco/6453454616.html

For those who dont get the joke, see pic.

Awesome thanks for the tip.
I have a Milwaukee 1/2" electric impact with the force of a thousand suns. Do you think even that won't be enough to run it up to make contact?

And when you say I have to read the torque as it's turning, you do mean the pinion bearing drag torque, right? I would assume so because the pinion nut doesn't really get torqued to a number.

Jesus no. I'm not a fucking redneck. Kek

I dont think you get to say that when you drive a rhino lined big bronco. Maybe if it was an early 70s/late 60s one, but not yours.

Ya know, I haven't seen a 1/2" impact able to do it completely yet. And that includes IR's and Snap On's pulling from industrial compressors. If you're reusing the crush sleeve like a flat-rater will do then no problem, just be sure to stake the nut after.

>And when you say I have to read the torque as it's turning, you do mean the pinion bearing drag torque, right?
Yes.

Noice, except for the bedliner

This was a better way to go that get a crate 400 and trans. I paid 400 for the engine and trans after i sold off parts from the donor

This, plus
>don't have to worry about your shit exploding because its so cheap and 200k+ miles anyway
>throw a rod? lol new $500 engine from a junkyard
>melt a piston? lol new $50 slug from ebay
>MOTHER. FUCKING. DRY. INTAKES.
Just add boost and you'll be a fucking monster

Nice meme bus rider
400$ is a decent deal for a engine and trans, you will ruin the feel of the car once you put it in though.

>Nice meme bus rider
Stay mad boomer

>Disliking hackjobs makes me a boomer
Don't you have school tomorrow?

Hey Veeky Forums, I need some help identifying a vehicle I witnessed not too long ago. I was able to pull a picture similar to what I saw from an image search, and was hoping you'd be able to give me a make and model. The most prominent features I recall were the concentric tail lights, fins and stylistic wording of pic related, with a two-tone paint job and leather interior.

Honestly you've probably got it there. Both the concentric taillights and that script are '57-60 Ford hallmarks. Ford fins mostly went away for '60.

Description matches a Ford Fairlane. Thank you user, you made this report a lot easier!

And yet i cant find a trans for under 900 for my dart

Both were free; and I'm going to make lemonade or burn the house down. Not sure which.

Breh, I dont really see what the body style has to do with it. Although, fair point on the rhino line, but I don't have a simple inexpensive non-utter time consuming way around that. The interior is too nice to be redneck though.

Kek. I actually am a dealership flat rater and I stake the nuts whenever I do just a pinion seal. But since this is coming all the way apart, I am using a new crush sleeve. I have 3 spares as well in case I fuck up. I've never collapsed a new crush sleeve so we'll see if my impact can do it. I'll let you know. Also, should I just use the old crush sleeve on practice setup? Or should I use one of my spares?

Thanks. I've had two years with the truck to come to terms with the bed liner. I get compliments all the time though, people seem to like the truck the way it is so whatever I guess.

The nicest this truck will probably ever look. This picture is from when I stripped the hood and discovered just how much of an ass beating getting it all off will be. Had to use aircraft paint stripper.

The earlier broncos have more of a beach vibe to them. Usually driven by hot chicks. Doesnt help that theyre generally the most expensive broncos. Where as 78 and newer are better suited covered in mud.

I've never seen a woman driving one. The body style doesn't seem redneck to me. But you're entitled to your opinion.

Went with my boss to pick this up today. A '67 series 1.25 E-type Jaguar. Has not been on the road since 1979, engine and wheels were free and moving.

1/2

2/2

That is a funky ass looking car. Does not even look like a jag to me.

foxnews.com/auto/2018/02/06/philippine-government-crushes-dozens-luxury-and-classic-cars.html

why is the philippine so shit? alos MCM did a video on philippine car culture a few years back

Because it's a third world shit hole, and they're too retarded to realize they could get money from selling them off.

All the SJWs freaked out because Trump called some shit hole countries shit holes, but I fully support labeling places what they are.

There's a reason the poor stay poor, and third world shit holes remain third world shit holes.

Are MGs & Triumphs hipster mobiles?

I will feel alot better actually driving the thing because the meme engine and trans would blow my entire budget. Maybe this is why boomers never complete their projects

>SJWs freaked out
And they were the only ones. Even the people living in the shitholes knew he was right.

Probably going to repaint it the original starlight black.
>rear end, can confirm
it's stock, the rear end is jacked up with air shocks to make up for the sagging leaf springs.