Stupid question perhaps

Stupid question perhaps..

When you change wheels (like changing from winter to summer etc) is it important to remember how you removed them? Ive been told its best to put wheels back on the same place you removed them (i.e left front wheel)

Grease Pencils exist, nigger. Write it on the goddamned sidewall.

>take wheels off and put them back on
>not rotating them while you're at it
it's like you're trying to invent new ways to be wrong

Depending if it has tpms and they don't automatically reset

right now the situation is I bought some wheels (for summer) and I have no idea which goes where, my question is how much it matters or what to do in this situation?

>>not rotating them while you're at it
What is it with Americans and rotating tyres? It is totally unnecessary. Almost like your 4000 mile oil change fetish

Yet here you are worrying about not rotating them after you already bothered to take them off and put them back on.

I'm not OP

The only thing to worry about is if the tires are directional. As in the tread is designed in a manner so that it provides traction when going forward. These tires have "direction of rotation" or something to that effect formed in the sidewall. So the tires on the driver side must rotate counter-clockwise and the passenger tires must rotate clockwise. Another design are asymmetrical tires. These tires have a design that intended to remove water from the centre of the tread and disperse it to one side. These tires are also marked on the sidewall with "outside/inside" or "outwards/inwards" in reference to the vehicle. So the outwards or outside marked sidewall must face away from the vehicle.

Tires that are symmetrical or can be mounted on the vehicle in any location and either way on the rim.

The other consideration is tread depth. Tires generally wear faster on the front axle due to the weight of the engine and from turning. Most manufactures recommend switching the tires from the front axle to the rear axle every 10000 -20000 km to ensure even tread wear across all 4 tires. So when getting the tires mounted the tires with the most tread should be on the front axle.

it doesn't matter. I put the ones with the best profile in the back because of autism but realistically it doesn't matter.

I used to write what position the wheel was in on a piece of paper and put it in the wheel before storing it.
That might just be my autism though.

Thanks for the only real answer in this thread, so as I wrote above, what do I do now that I have 4 tyres that I bought from someone? How do I know whch goes where?

I do that too but right now I got 4 tyres with no writing on them from previous owner :/

The American authorities put the shelf life of a tire at 10 years instead of 6 years like in the EU. So 10 years is easily enough time to bald the drive tires if you don't rotate.

OBSESSED

no writing at all? are they slicks or something?
look through the tire for markings

ill try ty

If they're the same size front and rear, I don't think it should matter, and you'll be able to figure out which one is left and right by the rotation

To see which tires have the most tread depth and therefore should be on the front just get a ruler with 1/32" or mm scale and measure from the lowest point ( in between grooves) and look how much rubber there is.

If you can't figure this out you shouldn't be installing them on your vehicle because you seem to be a moron. Take them to a garage and have them mount them on the vehicle with the proper tools so they don't fall off and kill someone.

The ones with the most tread depth go on the front

Directional tires must be put on correctly. I'd suggest that you mark the tires when you take them off, writing where they were so you can put it on the other end the next time

What you're saying is right, but a directional tire is made that way to make it more efficient at displacing water and more stable at high speeds, not necessarily provide more "traction". Putting them on the wrong way can work perfectly fine in the dry, but in rain you'll be pushing water towards the middle of the tire instead of pushing it out to the sides, meaning you'll hydroplane like fuck

>The ones with the most tread depth go on the front

Unless it rwd.

Nah

The more important bits like steering and most of the braking goes on in the front. Its also where most of the wear generally happens.

Also, with the front tires being the first to hit water they'll displace a good portion of the water that the rear wheels will hit a split second later, thus making it so that its more important for your front tires to be able to displace the most water

pretty much this but dont forget directional means where the arrow is pointing. Dont end up like that yellow miata guy. Also check for leaks and if it has any patches/plugs. Those may prove problematic and may or may not be safer on the rears, up to you. Why the rears? If they do go either in blowout or slower deflation, they'll pull the car less than if you lost them in the front. Ask me how I know

One would assume owners of rwd cars like to get hektik from time to time.