>really pushing HARD for AI taking over your car, wanting it really really badly

>in other posts warning that AI might become a huge danger for humans in the future

...?

Fuckloads of people are employed as drivers and Elon wants all of their jobs.

Thats the reason. Personal driving is safe. For now. But will start to die out when teenagers can't afford the insurance and dont want the hassle.

>not knowing the difference between AI and computer programs

>not knowing the difference between autonomous and AI

My question is, what happens when a self-driving car's maintenance is neglected? Will it refuse to drive on worn tires? Will it recognize a damaged sensor? Will it change its own flats?

It'll drive itself to the nearest dealership when its service is due

people who use these will have a subscription/warranty of sorts that lets them plan service ahead of time
>car self diagnoses problem
>notifies drivers and asks them to schedule a time they won't need the car
>service center preorders required parts if possible
>on D day car turns on in the dead of the night and quietly drives itself to the service center
>car is repaired and comes back home as if nothing happened
and if the car needs more time at the shop, a different car will be assigned to you and will be ready for when you wake up
>mfw this level of comfiness is literally possible with current technologies but no automaker is alpha enough to do it

People are too irrational and emotional to be trusted driving, just watch some dashcam videos on youtube.

That wont be a problem. Car ownership is dying.

The future is the Zip Car subscription model. Auto companies would be happy squeeze every penny per mile from the subscriber.

And if you do end up owning a car, any maintenance would have to be at certified dealers because of the diagnostic software required. It will be similar to the tractor and other farm equipment industry.

in a subscription model i can just order a car when i need it whenever i need it so i don't even worry about parking etc. The amount of cars per person can be reduced to 0.01 instead of 3 and the area dedicated to traffic and parking can be reduced by 99%.

What happens when an autonomous car crashed into a second car? Who pays for it?

>drive shitbox
>cant afford to replace sensor #1625 as I've already replaced sensor #736 last month
>car refuses to drive as it can't complete its driving algorithm without sensor #1625
>can't get to work, stuck without car
>lose my job, sends me over the edge
>say fuck it and pick up a bag of ohmefentanyl
>misjudge the dose by a few picograms
>entire neighbor hood + 2 waves of first responders die
>thanks elon musk

When the Tesla ponzi scheme collapses all this AI nonsense will come to an end.

More importantly, if an autonomous car kills a person, who goes to jail?

>>misjudge the dose by a few picograms
>>entire neighbor hood + 2 waves of first responders die

the programmer

what happens if an autonomous car gets a flat while driving?

autonomous tow truck

Even more importantly, what happens when it doesn't recognize a faulty sensor? What happens when a mechanical short tells it that there is suddenly a wall in front of it while on the freeway? What happens when the perfectly working system, with thousands of hours of controlled testing, has reality introduced to it? The answer is it kills someone, with the "driver" absolutely helpless to do anything about it.

A rock kicked up off the road could damage a crucial sensor and force it to pull over, leaving you stranded on the side of the road. That'll go over well with manager McNazi who needs only the slightest excuse to fire you. Self driving cars work flawlessly in simulation, acceptably in controlled testing, and terribly when subjected to the complete unpredictability and generally awful conditions of the real world.

i'm scared that a self driving car will go haywire and hit me head on at 60 mph and i'll die a crumpled, bloody mess

>can't leave dragon dildos in car anymore because mechanic will steal them
Yeah, nah. I'll stick to my manuel shitbox

>My question is, what happens when a self-driving car's maintenance is neglected?
What happens when any cars maintenance is neglected? How is this different?

>Even more importantly, what happens when it doesn't recognize a faulty sensor?
There is massive redundancy to make sure this is impossible.
>What happens when a mechanical short tells it that there is suddenly a wall in front of it while on the freeway?
See above
>What happens when the perfectly working system, with thousands of hours of controlled testing, has reality introduced to it?
It proves to be massively safer than human drivers, which autonomous cars have already demonstrated even in their infancy

>i'm scared that a self driving car will go haywire and hit me head on at 60 mph and i'll die a crumpled, bloody mess
But you aren't scared of a drunk driver, distracted driver, or just general moron doing that, which currently happens thousands of times a day?

This thread is a great example of why humans are so shit at driving. You think you are an expert, yet you have 0 knowledge of the subject.

>But will start to die out when teenagers can't afford the insurance and dont want the hassle.

Already on the precipice of that.

This post is a great example of rampant faggotry

>Massive redundancy
>Impossible
What you don't get is that no level of redundancy, self checking, or programming can make a real world, unpredictable fault "impossible." Computer systems will always have a possibility of fault.

Damage happens, and Mr. McNazi still fired you for not showing up because your car couldn't drive with a chip in the camera lens glass.

I know to watch out for the idiots on the road, but in a world where it's nothing but autonomous cars there is no level of alertness that I can have to avoid a collision with that one in a million freakout. I avoid collisions on a daily basis from being alert and able to use that alertness, even when supposedly foolproof systems on my car occasionally fail. I've had my power steering develop uneven assist from one direction versus the other, and being electric assist it has a number of redundancies to prevent it from behaving in such a manner. A lot of good those did, but since I could still control it I was able to get where I needed to go safely, easily being able to adapt on the fly to needing a different amount of pressure for each direction.

Having autonomous cars as an option is good for the people that don't care between driving and riding the bus and will text regardless of whether they are controlling a car or not. However, they will never work as a complete replacement without a complete change in the way society regards transportation. That's not something that can happen within the lifetime of people who grew up driving cars themselves.

two words
waymo subscription

>What you don't get is that no level of redundancy, self checking, or programming can make a real world, unpredictable fault "impossible."
>if self driving cars aren't 100% infallible they will never catch on!
They only have to be better than the average human driver. They already are. Within a few years they will be 20x as safe as human drivers. Your "what if x and x and x happens" is not a valid argument.

>Damage happens, and Mr. McNazi still fired you for not showing up because your car couldn't drive with a chip in the camera lens glass.
>only autonomous cars can fail and not make it to work!

Think for more than 10 seconds before posting.

I'm ok with it if my two Nova's can just have AI put in like an aftermarket radio?

>my power steering develops uneven assist
>I easily adapt on the fly
Its scary who's driving around out there.

>he still thinks its a ponzi scheme

poor user

“The center core was only able to relight one of the three engines necessary to land, and so it hit the water at 300 miles per hour about 300 feet from the drone ship.”

I mean, considering this has been the status quo any rocket reuse landing is a miracle

so, one of the three rockets failing makes it a ponzi scheme?

Tesla owes more money than what SpaceX is worth. The real value of Tesla shares is less than a shitcoin, since it is actually less than zero.

>let's launch a car into space
>government will pay
>oops crash
>mission success!
>ponzi scheme?
How could it not be?

you literally don't need more than a speedo

-23B of debt.
I can't wait for the bubble to blow up in Elon's face and every other memer who bought. It will be a celebrated date in automobile history.

Veeky Forums investment advice in the year 2000
>ahaha AMAZON what a stupid company
>they are LOSING money and in debt
>what difference does it make if they show massive growth every quarter
>you should invest in book stores
>they are at 100% market saturation, so you know they can only go up up up!
>they are already making money, so if you invest in them you can get dividends that almost beat inflation, as long as their market never shrinks!
>how can you beat that deal?!
>look at all these idiots investing in this company that's putting all the money they make and then some back into growth, it's a ponzi scheme!

People did lose a ton of money on Amazon around that time. It was a bubble, and it did pop. Now the bubble is inflated again, and everyone is predicting a new pop.

people lost money on a lot of things at that time, but people who kept investing in amazon got that money back.

>have less money than chebby
>still able to embarrass them on the track

Buying Amazon in the year 2000 would have been just as stupid as buying it now, or buying Tesla. There's a huge gap between what they are and what they cost.
Also, putting revenues back into growth can be good or not, or it can be fatal (e.g. Enron).

A better question is:
>how many times have you used a taxi?

>not knowing the difference between AI and machine learning
fucking normies

>tfw drove my shitbox with no gauages for half a year because they broke
Even non-autonomous cars don't need all that info.

Dis

Breakdowns they will have to have a manual mode to get them on a flatbed