Does anyone else find large sports cars hilarous?

Sorry but I cannot get over the concept of willfully hauling around 1.5 extra tons of steel for no reason at all, when you are trying to go fast. It is just so fucking dump. I don't even.

Ok

That's not a sports car in the slightest.

Is everything a sports car on Veeky Forums?

Comfy, sexy fun.

more whores

What sort of term should I use for a car whose, owners want it to be faster than is needed for them to commute in?

That is fine. I am mostly talking about American cars.

So this is a sports car.

Toronados are fucking personal luxury cars. They're pigfat landbarges made to leisurely cruise around town.

>faster than is needed for them to commute in?

So anything more than around 60hp is a sports car to you?

Why don't other manufacturers put the traction where the action is, are they stupid?

It wasn't even the first FWD.

it was the first full-size fwd just as the ad claims

That styling does things to me.
It has presence I feel modern cars lack.
It is an event on wheels.
Maybe because in Eastern Europe old land barges are few and far between.

makes sense for the sedan so you don't have a big transmission tunnel in the middle

Cord 810 Westchester.

Are you calling GM's Oldsmobile division a liar user?

>Cord 810 Westchester.
a mid-sze

'murican "sports cars" in general are hilarious

>*Snaps you off a cliff*
pssh, nothing personel, doctor

How can a car be a sportscar if it doesn't try to kill you?

You don't even what?

OBSESSED
B
S
E
S
S
E
D

Large 2 door coupes are not sports cars

Tfw you will never live in an era when FWD was considered new and exciting

Do you think GM would do that? Just lie about a car in advertising?
I refuse to believe it!

FWD hasn't been new and exciting since the 1930s.

Or a Cord L-29 Phaeton
Or a 1929 Ruxton Model C.

>What sort of term should I use for a car whose, owners want it to be faster than is needed for them to commute in?
Grand tourer?

>Cord L-29 Phaeton
Mid-size
>1929 Ruxton Model C
96 made

Or a muscle car.
But I guess to Americans anything that goes fast is a sports car.

"an un-economical car"

>Mid-size
Nope, the Phaeton was the full size/limo version.
Toronado was a cool car, my Dad had one, but it wasn't the first FWD full size.

>full size/limo version.
Stretching a production car onto a limo chassis does not make the base car a full size model.

So what's the cut off between a mid size and a full size then?

"While length and wheelbase varied (increasing over time), being considered full-size required a width as close as practical to the 80 in (2,032 mm) width limit over which the federal government required vehicles to have clearance lights." -Wiki
And this was for 1960's cars where the interior extended out as far as the inside of the body, not those 1930's cars with a narrow beam.

This user's got it. A Cutlass is a plain-jane 'economy' car, a 442 is a muscle car, an 88 is a full-size road boat and a Toronado is a personal luxury car, the same category most generations of Thunderbird are placed in.

Granted the Toronado was also a completely ridiculous FWD (but longitudinal 455 V8 powered) behemoth that set a Pikes Peak hillclimb record when it was released.

>so fucking dump

>americans
>sports cars

lol ya ok

>How can a car be a sportscar if it doesn't try to kill you?

Only people who lick the Porsche asshole believe this nonsense

A chassis that can support those fat engines I guess.

Not quite on OP's topic, but anyone else thing that a project car fit for Veeky Forums would be to take a new Chevy Camaro and style the body to look like a modernized Olds Tornado? Like what some companies did for a little bit by offering Pontiac Firebird conversions or converting a Dodge Challenger into a Plymouth Superbird-like beast.

Sorry american cars are faster than europoor 1.5L diesels.

>doctor
kek

>1.5 extra tons of steel
Nah, thats just OP's mom laying in the back seat

>What sort of term should I use for a car whose, owners want it to be faster than is needed for them to commute in?

Grand Tourer
Muscle Car

>Toronado 7.45L 0-60 = 9.5
>Poo in loo 1.5L diesel 0-60 = 9.7

Mind blowing performance from America.

I've ridden in 60's cars and they sure as hell feel faster than a modern ecobox. I wonder what's up with those old 0-60 times?

It's easy to get a lot of power out of a big v8.

They were just very restricted from the factory.

Any wrench tuned worth his shit can free up 100-200hp on such a motor.

Because most of them are slow as fuck when stock? There's nothing performance about a Toronado anyway.

Most quick muscle cars ran 14s, slower ones were into the 15s. Then you have cars with engines like 454, 426s, 429s, 440s, ect that might dip in the 13s. Shit like small block Chargers would take 17-18 seconds.