OK Veeky Forums I hail from /K/ so I know more about bullet jacket material than if different octane gas really does...

OK Veeky Forums I hail from /K/ so I know more about bullet jacket material than if different octane gas really does anything so forgive me.
I'm buying a Volvo 240 and want to make it what would be considered a rally car.
This being said should I raise it a little or get hydraulic suspension installed so I can embrace my bean roots. Also are there any bigger gas tanks I can get that won't take up the trunk or backseat? Also I shall need a brush guard so which one would you recommend?
And another stupid question the one I'm going to look at has 225000 or so miles so should I tune the engine or swap it, if so what engine should I look for?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ViNWP7DEs6s
roadkill.com/turbo-volvo-pre-runner-kicks-sand-eats-wash/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Are those CarID wheels?

lmao

What's a carid

>bullet jacket material
lmao you fedora tipping noguns piece of shit you don't even know why steel cases exist and probably think all shotshells are red

>This being said should I raise it a little or get hydraulic suspension installed so I can embrace my bean roots.
not rally, just you being a fake nerd faggot who played too much GTA:SA
>Also are there any bigger gas tanks I can get that won't take up the trunk or backseat?
no
>Also I shall need a brush guard so which one would you recommend?
some bent steel tubing
>And another stupid question the one I'm going to look at has 225000 or so miles so should I tune the engine or swap it, if so what engine should I look for?
"tune the engine" lmao you have to go back kid and not to /k/

>i5 turbo swap
>long travel suspention

Well considering the fact that 240 powerplants are all pretty much downs-sized tractor engines you really need to go boost or engine swap(and boost) so stick with guns my dude.
Get of your high horse,

Keep the engine if you want a reliable daily. Swap it down the road if you must.

As far as suspension goes; springs dictate height. But if you change to higher springs you should change the shock absorbers to ones with longer travel.
As far as the extra tank goes, you can probably mount one on the other side of your factory tank. Or mount it inplace of the spare wheel in the trunk.
Relocate the spare to a roof rack or hood. You will need extra tires anyway.

Thank you for the info, I think in upgrading the engine with better parts it should last a while I just wasn't sure how fast they are since my only other cars are a Honda accord and a Chevy uplander.

>no guns
Pic related nigger
>don't know any steel cased
It's because it's cheaper than brass the Russians used it for that reason and they needed brass for other machinery
>tune the engine
I mean getting forged parts and giving it a good cleaning maybe upgraded fuel injectors and DOHC
Get down from your dads dick before you hurt yourself you light beer drinking converse shorts and wife beater wearing thin gold chain having 16 year old dating goatee shaving riced Honda driving faggot.

this,
with junkyard parts can be accomplished cheap
>300+ bhp easily achieved

I guess some chinese wheels you find on your local department store's car section sold under the shop's name.

t: not him

What's a good i5? Someone told me the Volvo ones aren't as reliable, but the redblock is virtually indestructible so I doubt there'll be anything that comes as close in terms of reliability.

>volvo engines that do 250k miles regularly
>and can be modded to 900bhp
youtube.com/watch?v=ViNWP7DEs6s
>aren't good
whiteblocks are fine
and swap into 240s with minor modifications

Good to know. What about electronics? My B21F from 1980 is pretty damn simple, so I wouldn't be surprised if a whiteblock from the 90s has more going on.

well, yes it would. But there are also wood burning stoves more intricate than the B21.

Also, i wholeheartedly approve of your idea

Oh, I'm not OP, just a loser with a 242DL who's tired of being passed by a mom in a prius every morning.

sheeeet op has no idea what hes doing his going to fuck up a nice 245

i mean, yours is RWD at least...

that said, i have a turbo. does that make us about even?

It sure does. God willing one day this thing will be able to go faster than 65mph without sounding like it's about to explode.

very pretty. And i've driven too many nice cars, my little V40 feels like a down to eart trip

...if i fix it so it passes inspection

hello fellow x40 platform owner
are your environmental controls possessed?
and do your brakes really suck when it's cold?

you don’t need hydraulic suspension, get some raised springs. I think IPD do some, you’ll want good shocks like bilstein hds as well. you can also get spring seats which add a few mms of lift too.
you’ll need a belly pan, pretty sure ipd also do one, just to protect the undercarriage.
bullbars on these are rare, you could get a small nudge bar maybe but anything else would have to be custom probably. do some searching or find a 4x4 shop for a quote

you don’t need a bigger fuel tank, just jerry cans.

230k is a fair bit of milage but it doesn’t mean it’ll be bad, the motor is rough and hardy but it’ll probably burn oil and make next to no power at this point. turbo or engine swap would be needed to make decent power.
it needs to be manual.
you’ll need a locking rear diff, not too sure what options you have here

if you actually want to offroad then the most important bits are the locking rear, good offroad tyres and raised springs

get out of my fucking head

>defogger is iffy
>heater doesnt work well
>light to the fan speed goes out, but repairs itself when i hit it
>Front left brake is there mostly as a decoration

>when i hit it it works
sounds like bad soldering on the ECC
troubleshooting fan and speed knob problems today
hear they're mostly shitty cold solder problems
probably going to do under glovebox potentiometer tomorrow if re-flowing old solder doesn't work today
>fan speed is not correlated to fan speed knob setting
>lol hot air what's that?
>turn car off and on again, errything fine
what the fuck volvo

also it's usually the rear brakes that suck for no reason and the check valve on the booster line going bad
i think you have a different problem like a frozen caliper or sticky slide pins

it adds character

babby's first meme guns

what does your x40 sexually identify as?
mine is a farfetch'd in all aspects except physical

>pic related are all my guns
pic related
>want to make it what would be considered a rally car
Let's be honest, are you wanting to build a rally car or a reddit battlewagon? Because they're are far from the same thing.
>has 225000 or so miles so should I tune the engine or swap it
How the fuck is anyone meant to answer that?

roadkill.com/turbo-volvo-pre-runner-kicks-sand-eats-wash/

this guy, three pins for the three potentiometers had cold solder that didn't go through the board but nothing crazy looking
one of them was fan speed, the other fan setting
reflowed them and
fan plus auto setting seems to be working
as for if it'll stay like that...

>two volvo threads
>neither of them populated
what a time to be alive

volvo i5 = v8 = i6 > i4

Get a safe faggot before some meth head or. Iteration steals your guns while you are out buying tendies

Speaking of 240s, are they fun to drive at all? I hear with swaybars they are but I'm skeptical

They drive like a 4x4 without the capability. I enjoy dailying them, but a driver's car they're anything but. An E28 is a much more entertaining drive.

The only thing you should even be thinking about putting onto a Volvo is a turbo bigger than your head.

>225,000 miles
Those rings are gonna be super loose. Gonna need a bigger turbo to make up for all that blowby. Maybe even two turbos.

You're doing it completely wrong until you're shooting flames through your external wastegate out the top of your hood.

>/K/

it doesn't real
>so go back

Thanks for the reply, that's kinda what I figured. I was considering one because it was cheap and rwd but I figured heavy car + low power wouldn't be fun, even with swaybars

>I figured heavy car + low power wouldn't be fun
It is fun if all you've ever driven before are automatic minivans.

t. 242 guy

In dirt, if you've got enough power to spin wheels you've got as much as you can lay down.

You'll either want to weld the diff, install a truetrac lsd, or go with a Ford rear axle if you ever dream of traction enough to make engine upgrades worth it
230k is fine, don't worry.
Ipd for skidplates, sway bars and such. Check motor mounts. Check for rust in rear wheel wells/by taillights.

Unless you are putting in an insane roll cage, you will never stage rally this car. The closest thing you will do is rallycross, which if you genuinely want to be competitive you either need to mod it according to the class you want to run, which might be kinda limiting, or decide to never be competitive.

In mod rear, you will never be competitive.
You can fit 27 inch tires on them with no modifications for a battle wagon look.

I'm guessing you are a poser who will never race. I have lots of Volvos and can answer more questions, you just need to say what you mean by rally.

If you live where there is snow, or loose gravel, an open diff Volvo will drive circles around a shitty open diff bimmer.

>not only do they exist
>but they are easy to make
what's it like to be this wrong?

Translation:

Weld here

And there