Do you think that in the future it might be possible to again make cars that look like oldtimers but are as safe as new...

Do you think that in the future it might be possible to again make cars that look like oldtimers but are as safe as new cars? Through the use of some new fancy engineering techniques and materials?

in the future we will live in the matrix and you could have any car that you want cause it just will be a 3d model.

Deepfake cars?

the main reason the cars looks have changed so much is to make it more aerodynamic? most cars have to have a certain mpg in usa standards, correct? so im sure that would make things dificult

>tfw drivers to day suck so much we have to build cars with the assumption they will end their life with a crash

That combined with pedestrian safety. So hoods now have to be shaped a certain way to deflect pedestrians, body panels are molded certain ways to better deflect wind, all that garbage.

In another decade or two cars will just be blobs that drive themselves, and owning a car that you drive on your own will cost thousands per month in insurance, leaving only the rich to drive for fun.

>leaving only the rich to drive for fun.
or the outlaw

Fun Fact: That 1959 Bel-Air that they destroyed was actually one of the more weaker cars from that era. They used that one on purpose so they could say "oh well older car aren't safer".

If they had wanted to be honest, they would have crashed a modern car into a 1965 Chrysler Imperial. But then the Imperial would have held up much better than the Bel-Air and shown they're full of shit.

>retarded baby boomer thinks it's a competition of keeping the car in one piece, not saving the lives of it's occupants
>too dumb to understand that the inertia of the occupants doesn't magically dissipate when the slab of steel they're in comes to a sudden halt with little to no dampening

Can't exactly fix your "small dent and scratched bumper" if you're splattered all over the dashboard.

Already possible.

They could assuming
The buyers want to buy cars with retro styling
That automakers are willing to put effort into R&D for stronger and lighter materials that allows for safety in addition to old fashion styling

No, old cars are shit aerodynamically so it won't ever happen. If it was going to happen it would probably be going on already.

So it would've been honest to swing the test to the other extreme? No, not really. Older cars are less safe no matter what you think. Structural rigidity =/= passenger safety.

This test still irks me

Car lasts for 60 years just to be ruined by a malibu

>muh real american steel
>muh they dont make em like they used to

>gets into a minor rear end fender bender
>head slams into dashboard because muh real american steel doesn't absorb any energy

already exists its just a rare thing sadly, i dream of a world where you can go buy a brand new car that looks just like a car from any era or even a futuristic one and that its just a normal thing thats everywhere

As someone who daily drives a '66 Imperial, the difference between it and a '59 X-frame is staggering. I got into one low-speed collision with a new car; mine cleaved their radiator, broke the motor free from its mounts, and grenaded their transmission. On my car, I have a scuff on the fender trim, a scratch on the bumper, and a broken headlight cover.

Those Imperials are ridiculously tough; they're banned from demo derbies for a reason. Being in a crash in one, however, would be like putting a hot dog in a blender. The blades of the blender will be fine, but the hot dog is shredded.

As for myself; safety be damned. I'm going to keep sticking my hot dog in attractive blenders and gambling that the switch doesn't get turned on.

Why would insurance cost so much more when the risk hasn't increased?

The modern car in the op would have absorbed less energy than the old one.

>with little to no dampening

Not true. 1965 Chrysler Imperial has a crush zone just for this. It's the other car.

why on earth would you want anything to look like old trash again

>It's the other car.
Edgy and retarded. I bet you listen to metal.

The driver of the new car would absorb less of the impact though.

>metal
Only American Steel. That's the true heavy metal

So like a Volvo brick before volvo bricks were a thing

Metal on metal

>car stops faster
>less impact