What is the point of bumpers?They seems to do nothing but add weight...

What is the point of bumpers?They seems to do nothing but add weight.Jeep outright tells you to remove bumper on trackhawk if you wanna take it off-road.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crumple_zone
m.youtube.com/watch?v=gL8DQIAqZms
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They add aesthetic value.

Aesthetic/'pedestrian safety'/sacrificial panel

More impact absorption in an auto accident. What really needs bumpers are tractor trailers. That way when people run into them they aren't getting their heads cut off.

>What the fuck is a crumple zone?
Better question, who lets these retards post on Veeky Forums when they aren't even smart enough to use Google?

Bumpers bump

>What is the point of bumpers?
1. Design
2. Aero
3. relatively cheap to replace (compared to body panels)

>bumper is crumble zone
No, there are special "shock absorbers" build in the structure of your car that absorb the energy of a crash with deformation.
Plastic bumpers canĀ“t do that, these absorbers are usually hidden behind the bumpers.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crumple_zone

1. Aerodynamics
2. Aesthetics
3. Protect Components
4. Pedestrian Safety

Front bumpers are very important to many aspects of the vehicle. Rear bumpers less so.

That's not a bumper it's the bumper cover

The US has 5mph bumpers as an attempt to lower accident costs.
Now bumper covers have come in and basically thrown that all out of the window. It's just a part of car design at this point.

Without a bumper my cars radiator is almost completely exposed. I'm sure if bumpers weren't a thing the radiator would be moved, but right up front is obviously the best place for one.

This

If you can't into Google I don't feel sorry for you.
You must be retarded

was going to post this

>Trackhawk
>Offroad

Stop it. Get some help.

>The US has 5mph bumpers as an attempt to lower accident costs.

And make non-domestic cars look hilarious.

There was a time when bumpers were functional.

Axtually, tractor trailers already do this.

Most trailers produced today have bumpers on the back and on the sides now.

A R E O D Y N A M I C S

What do you think? 1,400 damage on a new car?

What?

They still do this exact thing.

They don't return to their original shape after the impact.

>HURRRR
>ITS NOT A 156HP ECONOBOX WITH LIVE AXLES
>YOU CANT OFF-ROAD IN IT BECAUSE I HAVE VERY AUTISTIC REQUIREMENTS FOR WHAT CARS ARE ALLOWED TO DO IT

I hope you roll your retarded overland shitbox onto yourself.

Nope, mitsubishi and Honda bumpers at least crack at very low speed

I think his point is that you said trackhawk instead of trailhawk
Which would be stupid

m.youtube.com/watch?v=gL8DQIAqZms

It's a good video

crumple zones niggers, have you heard of them?

What?

Buddy a trackhawk has literally zero ground clearance. Not sure what you're going over with it. Maybe parking bollards at the mall? Kek. Not even those.

And I hope I do roll my SUV over on myself, at least I died happy and off-road.

>car is fine
>passengers' necks all broken however

How did they break?

>ABS plastic bumpers on hatchbacks taking any impact force absorption at all

ngrplz

head rests set too low

Modern car bumpers are designed to crumple up in a crash, absorbing a lot of the impact and saving the driver.

The covers themselves constantly break off road and never cheap to replace and its a piece of fucking plastic that can cost anywhere between $150. to $1200 depending if you want a legit one, bullshit!

no headrests back in the day, one way ticket to Whiplash County, right outside of Snap City
Your Volvo/Saab will however somehow be in better shape than before the crash.

>back in the day
We are not talking about the 60's here.

aesthetic and aerodynamic value, as well as protecting your engine and front suspension from all the things on the road and from people who scrape your car when they attempt to park, damaging the bumper but nothing important like the coolant expansion tank

>he thinks peace of plastic will will save him from head on collision with tree or anything else

Show us your bumperless car.

wew

They're designed to flex when you hit something and be cheap and easy to replace if damage. Also aerodynamic