Hey, Veeky Forums. I know nothing about cars. For the past 6 years I've been using a 82' 240d mercedes...

Hey, Veeky Forums. I know nothing about cars. For the past 6 years I've been using a 82' 240d mercedes. I have the opportunity to exchange it for a '89 300e mercedes. I want to, but I was mortified when I looked at the mpg. It's about 17 city, and takes premium. My current car is about 30 city. That alone makes me want to reconsider. Am I blowing it out of proportion? Advice needed

I have the 220E and I can tell you it does rip through the tank if youre crawling through the city, as well as getting sorta dangerously hot as well, I've had mine checked by 3 merc dealerships about the overheating and they say its working as intended, but its hit near boiling a few times just from slow traffic.

however, its a fucking beaut on the open road and a comfortable ride if youre commute it mostly highway or during offpeak hours

might as well keep your current car if it works ok

i've been warned about the overheating as well. as told i need to carry around coolant, which freaks me out since i need to commute through los angeles

i've never had it get like dangerous, but a couple times its gotten to about 80-90C while raining and the hood is just steam from the water evaporating as it hits.
on the flipside the autotragic is kinda fun since you can floor it and it just fucking GOES.
I dont know man, like other user said, if youre shit works keep it, but if you wanna try out a slightly newer sedan then go for it

You need to do the cool benz fix for your aux fans

Why are there so many 124 related threads recently it makes me so happy it's such a good car.

stock aux fans should kick on at 105 and also get triggered by AC pressure

if your fans work fine then no, theres electric fans and an engine belt driven one, you should be OK, the M103/104 are hot engines, that's just how they are.

post pics of car

The 80s Mercs are just great desu. Wish hey still had that German feel and class to them.

>drive 82 240D
>know nothing about cars

Those two statements are incompatible. You better know LOTS about cars to DD a W123.

The M103 will happily run for days and days at 100C - keep the system flushed, keep the fans working, and leave it be.

W124s are great cars - im looking for one myself, but closer to an 84-85

W124 ftw i drive a 92 300d 2.5

op should look at w124 diesels if concerned about fuel economy. I get 28 city and 35-40 highway.

pic related, my merc

Fuck yeah. Got a hard on for diesels. You plan to swap out those US lights for euro style ones? I did on my CE and it's kickass. I've thought about using the little panels that used to hold the wipers under the headlights to mount V1 external radar/laser sensors in and be somewhat concealed. Wonder if it'd work...

You can swap the thermostat for one that opens at a lower temp.

You should also check if the auxiliary fan is working. Its on the front of the radiator and has three speeds.
It comes on when the AC is on, and when the radiator and engine fan alone cannot handle cooling. You will hear it. Its loud in the fastest speed.

Have you tried driving with the heat on at full blast to see if the temp drops?
If that drops the temp then you ought to look at fitting a new thermostat.
Maybe the old one is slightly corroded and won't fully open or something. I had that happen in my 250D.

Not sure yet, thought about getting those aftermarket led headlights but Idk if I wanna be that guy with a 26y/o car with modern headlights.

eurofag here. US spec ones are sexier desu
buy decent led bulbs

Why do you use this old cars if they dont suit your lifestyle? I know they look great, but buy something else if you need something for city crawling

Nice garbage tier yard

Get your shit together boy

Yard has pine trees which kill the grass and I can't be arsed to try and make it better.
lets see your lawn

I run LED yellows in my fog lights and decent high quality incandescents in my main lights. They're a beautiful white.

Is that why the garbage bags are left out in front of the fire hazard messy garage and plastic lawn chairs?

>pine needles

Um no sweetie that is hillbilly poorly Trained pet mutt dog yard piss burns...

Ive had my 85 300D for a while, and its impossible to not do your own work on it

Yeah i admit the garage is filled with shit, car parts, old speakers etc... And I like the plastic adirondak chairs man.

Where is that btw? Pacific Northwest?

Such a cute. Does it have a snail?

stick to your old car

finally have my car back after 6 weeks. a week before christmas my dad reversed into it in his hilux while it was parked outside the house. insurance wouldnt cover it so I had to fork out for repairs myself. fucking 2400 to get a new hood and right headlight unit. I don't know if they did anything else but the steering feels even heavier than before and the accelerator has an even larger dead zone now. pretty annoying.

ah, righto. Ill look into it next time it becomes an issue. I dont think I wanna throw more money at my car atm though, its only worth about 2 grand ive put 3000 into it in the last 6 months thanks to a couple issues.

okay

it is such a good car

and one from yesterday after I picked it up

you need to have a basic understanding but you don't need to be able to do everything just minor fixes. i have an 84 300d turbo with 200k mi (which i know is low for these haha) and ive only had a few blown fuses and i had some trouble cranking it when it was really cold this winter