Why isn't diesel more popular in pick-ups in burger land?Pretty much all pick-ups i seen are petrol...

Why isn't diesel more popular in pick-ups in burger land?Pretty much all pick-ups i seen are petrol.I mean all long haul trucks and industrial equipment run on diesel so why not?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3MsmCRqmCMk
youtube.com/watch?v=WN0Zc2CaYYU
youtube.com/watch?v=GzU7HqhkyYs
houston.craigslist.org/cto/d/08-gmc-3500hd-dually/6491631160.html
houston.craigslist.org/cto/d/2004-dodge-dually/6491478753.html
corefluids.com/def-contamination-levels/
youtube.com/watch?v=OBsUvMq-mpE
youtu.be/obIoG2X-85U
youtube.com/watch?v=pEpdZsMv4ks
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I have an old Ford with a straight six, cause it's all I need

Do you drive with your eyes closed?

Because diesel is more expensive than gas in Clapistan.

Not worth the extra fuel cost, cost to buy, cost to maintain unless you actually haul/tow heavy shit all the time. Reliability took a dive too after all this emissions shit came into effect. The only people i know with diesel trucks either use it for work or as a status symbol

If you buy a petrol truck, you are a poser.

Why isn't diesel more popular in burger land in general? You get a diesel car and you can tow enough to potentially avoid having to spend big money on a huge truckbarge in the first place.

Spending your time behind the wheel suffering in a slow, small little jetta isn't everyone's idea of a good time.

Because for a long time they were hard to start when cold, too slow to accelerate, expensive to buy, and expensive to maintain with diesel mechanics being few and far between.
Also since gas was cheap and gas engines had plenty of power Diesel was kind of redundant.

Because our gas powered cars are better.

>slow
youtube.com/watch?v=3MsmCRqmCMk

what the fuck. why is diesel more expensive.
how much does LPG cost over there?

I mean, crown vics aren't fair.

B-bodies are even better.
>OEM tow package gives you 5000lb of rated towing capacity from the factory (7000lb on wagons with some extra goodies), posi-trac, external oil and tranny coolers, and self-leveling air ride

>maryland plate
>va inspection sticker
>local county or county equivalent va tax stamp.

You can get 2 new gas trucks for the price of one new diesel truck.
Diesels sound like shit.
Diesel is more expensive.
Most truck owners here never even tow anything what's the point in getting a heavy duty diesal for driving to work.

I've seen small cars towing campers like that in Europe. E30 BMWs, VW Golfs, Peugeot station wagons and such.

Mostly its crossovers now though.

>sound like shit
youtube.com/watch?v=WN0Zc2CaYYU
Apologize

What's the deal with Americans misspelling diesel on the regular? I've seen everything from diesal to deisel to deisal.

Get on this level.

youtube.com/watch?v=GzU7HqhkyYs

Do you know what a truck is?
Because that's not a truck stupid

Good luck getting to work at 5 am when it's -40 out with a Diesel

But they WANT a truckbarge, and don't use it properly.

Do you live in Alaska?

I've never seen LPG besides at a BBQ

also in Texas at least diesel trucks are so over priced, take a look at a craigslist people want $15k for a 200k mile dually

houston.craigslist.org/cto/d/08-gmc-3500hd-dually/6491631160.html

houston.craigslist.org/cto/d/2004-dodge-dually/6491478753.html

first 2 ads I found

>cost to maintain

Europe has slower speed limits for campers, and US drivers are shit and sue happy, so the manufacturers artificially underate the towing capacitiy. The average burger driver would hook up a 3000 lb RV to the back of a Focus, without a brake controller. then drive 75mph in a 65 zone, wreck their shit, and sue Ford because "manual said it could tow 3000lbs."

wtf is petrol

wtf is gas?

not him but even if it's just something like 25 degrees (older) diesel engines have a hard time starting

Thankfully IDI diesels aren't really a thing any more.

Where you can get 2 new gasoline trucks for the price of one diesel truck.

Well, you could also add that American diesels probably have accurate emissions rather than dramatically understated emissions from VW. It's not cheap to do it legally.

There's more to towing than just using a brake controller. The tow vehicle has to be able to safely control the load. Even a small utility trailer will roll a car if the trailer rolls and the hitch doesn't separate. I've seen it happen lots here and there's many video's of it happening in europe too. That's just asking for a jack knife.

Well a base model 5.3 silverado 4x4 is around $30k and diesels are in the 60k range.

They'll start but it's very hard on the engine and sounds horrible. You better have your batteries in tip top condition. Diesels kinda suck at holding their heat.

Nobody here would give a fuck if Cummins lied about their emission standards. Well maybe those faggots in Cali. Modern diesels are 400+hp and 900+ ft/lbs and pass emissions fine.

Because not everyone needs a fuckhuge black smoke belching, cousin fucking mobile.

I only had one because I was a hot shot driver, that's my excuse.

We refine less of it than you do in europe, our refineries are geared towards gas production.

So yes its more expensive, and the trucks themselves are typically more expensive to service as not all shops services diesels.

Hooked on Phonics.

>Europoors think gasoline is petroleum

How fucking retarded are you?

>power joke
That's more embarrassing than driving a gasser, user.

Comparing a 1500 to a 2500 is apples to oranges.

Tow package box panthers were similar, rated for 6k with p/s cooler, additional trans cooler, rear sway bar, 3.55's, trak-loc. dual exhaust, and all the other goodies.
Shame the days of the BOF full size cars are long gone.

>Well a base model 5.3 silverado 4x4 is around $30k and diesels are in the 60k range
Source for both these examples

Well technically 2 1500's could do more work than a single 2500. If people go diesel they usually go all the way and get a $90k+ luxury longhorn monster platnium edition. So that's almost 2 base 2500's. The diesel option is only another $10k over the gas but you have to add in all the associated costs that come with a diesel.

But both Ford and Ram are offering diesels in their 150 and 1500 models.

$10k buys a lot of gas. That's like 4000 gallons. You're looking at about 100,000 miles before break even on cost unless it's all towing all day everyday.

For the person moving refrigerators, sofas and shit or the guy who needs to move sheets of plywood there really isn't a point in going further up the options than a normal 1500

it boils down to demand and our emissions laws strangleholding the market.

The Silverado and Ford diesels definitely look interesting, the Ram one is complete garbage.

Not as retarded as you, dumb nigger. Come back when you've learned proper English

1. Diesel fuel is currently $3.15 a gallon vs unleaded gas at $2.54.
2. Diesel engines cost more; the break even point vs fuel costs is over 100K miles.
3. DEF on new diesels. Reliability suffers.
4. Most all diesel has a % of bio diesel and is prone to gelling in sub zero temperatures.
5. Anti gel additives are required to prevent disaster.
6. Modern diesels are all computer controlled and aren't bulletproof like designs from 20 years ago. There was a manual switch on a cummins fuel pump that could be turned to let the engine run forever; no battery or electrical system required.
7. Rudolf Diesel was a closet queer.

>Well technically 2 1500's could do more work than a single 2500
Whilst paying another wage. Nice attempt at a backpedal though genius.
>$10k buys a lot of gas. That's like 4000 gallons. You're looking at about 100,000 miles before break even on cost unless it's all towing all day everyday.
I can understand this argument, and for the DYIer or home handy-man this can make sense. But this argument also completely disregards the resale of the diesel option which you don't have to travel too far to already recuperate the price difference.

Honestly, I'd sooner take the VM Motori option in the Ram version the PAS V6 in the F150. Not sure about the Silverado option, but the unit in the Colorado is also a VMM.

Are you retarded for real? Literally evey work truck is diesel. Cummins powerstrike and duramax rule the truck market

>spending 70k to drive 8000lb a soot spewing 3/4 ton that rides like shit and smells like a coal furnace

Theres a reason there for work vehicles and rednecks exclusively

Meant powerstroke

I mean powerjoke huehuhe

>powerstrike
Dunno, works for me lol

>how much does LPG cost over there?
we use that to grill, not power cars for the most part

>DEF on new diesels. Reliability suffers.
lol i forgot about this
diesel owners have to pay for expensive piss liquid

>gas
>not actually in a gaseous state

From what I've seen, DEF is a step in the right direction if it makes DPF redundant. I'd pay for a piss catalyst instead of a literal potato shoved in the exhaust.
Our trucks and machinery have never had any downtime due to DEF failure.

>From what I've seen, DEF is a step in the right direction if it makes DPF redundant.
it doesn't though, DEF only reduces NOx emissions and not particulates

Be very careful where you source your DEF. Even the littlest amount of contamination will jack it up.

corefluids.com/def-contamination-levels/

Go back to /pol/

It's about half the price of gasoline.
Most places you can't get it, but my old neighbor had a restored 1950s cabover Ford with a LPG straight six.
He filled it up at the same place as the city and school busses for about $1.50 per gallon equivalent

>unleaded gas at $2.54
I fucking wish man. Paid $3.53 in southern California.
Nearly 20 bucks in gas a week for a fucking Golf

ask a jew, they can tell ya what it is.

also

Inland NorCal here, premium gas and diesel #2 are both usually around $3.15 at Arco after the tax hike
>tfw never going to have $3.00 premium gas ever again

>Why isn't diesel more popular in pick-ups in burger land?
because deisel is expensive as fuck now

The 300 6 is probably the best built Ford engine ever. They are used all over industry too.

The 4.2 which replaced it is a hydrolocking piece of shit.

kek

>For the person moving refrigerators, sofas and shit or the guy who needs to move sheets of plywood there really isn't a point in going further up the options than a normal 1500

It's also cheap as fuck to stiffen up a 1500 class truck. I made my F150 able to comfortably carry a milling machine even with the weight of the steel Tommy Gate I installed. (Hellwig overloads, Timbren overloads, and coilover shocks don't conflict with each other.)

>average truck buyer doesn’t know what a torque is and doesn’t give a shit
>more heavily involved maintenance, average person doesn’t know jack shit about diesels
>more expensive up front and for parts (particularly exhaust stuff and injectors)
>nobody uses them to haul shit anyway unless they’re company vehicles
>bad rap because of coal rolling redneck dickheads
Personally I am a fan of diesel, seeing as I work on heavy duty Detroit and Cummins diesels for work, but I can see why they’re a niche market here.

I knew a guy that pulled a 3 horse trailer all over WI ,IL and IA. Late 80's ford 300 six with a 5 speed manual. The rumor was that the automatic transmission plant went on strike. There sure were a lot of these combinations out on the road.

LP is over 100 octane. Ak Miller make LP powered race cars famous.

What the fuck regular gas here is still like 2.80-something, do you have ridiculous taxes on premium gas or something?

A lot of school buses are now propane V10's and garbage trucks are using Cummins NG engines. Both are supposed to be gutless pigs. That's why the propane fad died off in the 80's here. And you can't park in most parkades and underground garages.

LPG is very rare outside of fleet vehicles here. There is basically no infrastructure for consumer LPG vehicles. Corporate fleets use it sometimes and use their own fueling facilities. In the Twin Cities metro area (16th most populous metro in the US) has just under 4 million people and a total of 3 stations for consumer LPG vehicles.

thats sorta depressing that LPG is so rare.
it's the best fuel for povo drivers desu.

>body on frame
>leaf springs
>rwd
>literal trucc engine

Is it technically a trucc?

>TFW as an argienigger most lower spec gasoline powered cars get converted to lpg, that includes taxis (they're actually the biggest consumers of lpg)
>Lpg only stations can be more common than regular stations in some areas

It's amazing, even fitting your regular multiport injection gasoline engine may cost 1-2k american pesos

Only acceptable diesel sound
youtube.com/watch?v=OBsUvMq-mpE

garage and block heaters and a drop light will do wonders

I drive a 96 F250 7.3 powerstroke with a manual 5 speed transmission and short bed. Great truck, only regret is no 4 wheel drive and mpg sucks. Pull a camper from time to time.

I want to get a smaller 4 door truck with 4wd that has had an Isuzu or Cummins 4bt conversion as a daily driver. After troubleshooting injectors on the 7.3, I really would prefer the mechanical simplicity of a 4bt.

Even an earlier IDI 7.3 would do you well. Those HEUI injectors are a joke.

That's fucking HORRIBLE. Sounds like a vacuum cleaner at idle and like tinnitus at any amount of throttle.

Higher maintenance cost and lower reliability because of increased complexity.

Only real benefit if fuel economy yet fuel if cheap in us.

Man that sounds horrible and broken.

Higher resale is more than offset by larger initial loan amount for most people. Also, most people a shit at selling their car and just get whatever trade in is offered. They never take full advantage of the different sale price

I want a diesel for those boosted 4WD launches

youtu.be/obIoG2X-85U

but you use less because of diesel's god tier energy density

U.S. stock diesels are and were very innificant. Even my 300SD does not smell as bad or is not aversive to air quality than a dude who removed his cats on his gasoline 4banger.The fuel mixture for diesel, ever since they removed the sulfur from it is much better for the performance of the engine. Right now Oregon is doing a massive buyback and salvage on any old diesel being two stroke or otherwise unboosted and untuned industrial machines. GM is going downhill with their new 3cyl Duramax.

>You can get 2 new gas trucks for the price of one new diesel truck.
What are they, Ford Rangers?

>GM is going downhill with their new 3cyl Duramax.
wat

Until the last couple model years there haven't been any light duty trucks with a diesel, only 2500+ heavier duty ones that start at around 45k with the diesel. Now we have the Ram 1500 "Ecodiesel" with the VM motori 3.8, an F150 diesel with a 3.0 powerstroke v6, a Colorado with the world market 2.8l turbodiesel, and supposedly the new Silverado is going to have a 3.0 inline six diesel. Dunno about the new Ranger.

None of that was a thing until now, and you have the horrifically god-awful Oldsmobile diesel to thank for ruining diesels in anything but gigantic pickups for burgers.

Fuck yeah.

youtube.com/watch?v=pEpdZsMv4ks

Not the guy you posted to , but yeah cost to maintain is way more than a gas job. Parts cost more for a diesel and to OP another reason why they aren't as popular is because they don't start worth a shit in the winter. I see fucking brand new diesels plugged in all the time when it is 0 degrees celsius outside

They cost $5K-10K+ more than their gas counterparts. Diesel engines are super reliable if you are towing. But if it is a daily, the constant starting up, driving it 10-20 miles, and turning it back off significantly reduces the lifespan of a diesel, and diesels are more expensive to repair. Also most people don't need the power of a diesel to tow. My dad has a 2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD with the 6.0L gas V8, and it is rated to tow 13,000 pounds.

>Good luck getting to work at 5 am when it's -40 out with a Diesel

I imagine that would be a serious problem in the ~5 states where that can happen.

>what is a good battery
>what are arctic glowplugs
>what is glowing several times
>what is winterized diesel

I've not had a problem in those temperatures. I'll use a block heater most of the time, but I have started it cold in that temperature and it has been ok. Sure, it runs rough as fuck and just about refuses to idle, but it gets going

>nearly telephone poled himself
Typical American tuner vehicle. All engine, zero chassis.

>gas
>short for gasoline

It's almost like europoors are actually this stupid.

You think it's easy to put down 1500hp and 2000+lbs of torque with 235's? It's set up for the street, It's a different story with slicks.