Subaru guys: does anyone here know the tolerance on the differential from having 2 different sidewall profiles front...

Subaru guys: does anyone here know the tolerance on the differential from having 2 different sidewall profiles front and rear
>235/45/19 front
>235/35/19 rear
>howfucked am i 1-10 ???

Other urls found in this thread:

souzastireservice.com/tires-101/tire-matching-awd-4wd.aspx
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Pic related, this model.

10mm isn't that much

I doubt you'll burn out your center diff with a difference that minor.

Maybe not burn out but what threshold does premature wear occur??

souzastireservice.com/tires-101/tire-matching-awd-4wd.aspx
Potentially useful link

Thanks, 10-10 fucked my trans is going boomtown

For decades, nobody's been able to prove conclusively that the VC int the center diff is working as advertised or not.

First drink a few /sips/ to get your autism ready, and then head out to the parking lot or the driveway and use some chalk to make marks on all four tires and roll the car along enough to make the wheels go all the way around so you can see if the chalk marks are still lined up.

If they're within an inch or two of each other, then you're good to go until next time you forget to get the tire pressure just right.

Yep that's a good way of putting it..
Just got wheels really cheap for the tread to pass for registration coming up, they just need to hold out for 2 months until I get a full set of re002's

After actually engaging my autism to that extent, I finally settled on doing it by feel. If the rear tires are just a little bit over-inflated then you get that pleasant bit of push from the rear rather than feeling like it's dragging it's ass around the way FWD does. That turns out to be close enough to equal rolling circumference as far as I'm concerned.

Probably wont blow up your center diff, but i am sure you will cause some premature wear on the thing.
Maybe over inflate the rears a bit, and keep the fronts a little less to help even it out

There's like no way to tell if the center diff is worn or not though. The worst that happens is you blow the VC and it's an open diff with extra drag on it, but there's already tons of drag on the driveline so you pretty much always wind up with drive power even if both front and rear are peg-legging.

its not 10mm, sidewall numbers are a percentage of the width. in this case the difference is 23.5mm or almost an inch

And how much does that translate after gearing to what the center diff cares about? Please answer in terms of the official kg specs.

The rears are going to have to come off sooner rather than later anyway because of the redwall being a defect in my state.
I might be OK for a month or two of sedate commuting but its still a gamble right? That's the breakdown I'm seeing.

It'll put some extra wear on the diff, sure. I don't think a month would be anything to worry about though, depending on the length of your commute of course.

Yeah that is certainly an expectation, I'll take the tyre pressures into account as well..

The label 5mt revised on wiki just doesn't give me enough for research into it.. I might actually call my local Subaru and see what the service manager says about it. Just for the "official" pocket depth quote lol

>shitty aftermarket 19in wheels on a wrx
kys boyracer faggot. i hope you diff blows up.

No dealer is going to know shit inside and out about your center diff. That's like thinking the hood scoop means you have a tarbo.

You don't think the mechanics that work specifically on Subaru's all day long 5 days a week aren't going to know about a differential tolerance in a bit of hardware put in over 5 years of production models across multiple platforms? K

Your opinion is subjective.
This also is not a rate my ride thread.
They were only $350 from my friend selling his Subaru. The front tyres alone cost that new so aesthetics isn't even a priority.

>caring about how the wheel looks
>kys boy racer
>????????
>profit

I don't fucking know, I was just correcting your incorrect info about tires

>a bunch of garage monkeys on the dealer dole who know the customers couldn't tell a center diff from a lesbian grapefuit and think they need their interior blower motor fluid topped off

yeah I get what your saying lmao dealer dole hahaha who could I call then to get factory specs.. This seems like surely more than me would want to know this stuff.

Subaru doesn't still let you download the FSM?

Boom that's the one brother thank you.

Depends on how sensitive the system is to differences in front and rear axle speeds. At best, nothing. At worst, the center diff wears out quicker.

Yes, I'm just trying to get actual numbers to define how much it will wear.

Soooo the 4kgf VC is non serviceable and generally needs replacing within 20000km of my current mileage, looks like I'll be up for a new VC in a little while anyway might as well run the gauntlet with these stupid mismatched tyres.

You've been helpful Veeky Forums, thank you.