Trying to tune car after installing turbo (Honda K20A2)

>trying to tune car after installing turbo (Honda K20A2)
>only way to do it is either purchase overpriced hardware to tune the stock ECU or shell out $300-600 for an aftermarket ECU
>start looking for alternatives to escape said judaism
>discover something called Speeduino (speeduino.com/wiki/index.php/Speeduino), an opensource ECU based off an Arduino Mega 2560
>schematics to build interface board to adapt harness to Arduino GPIO pins freely available
>code is fully opensourced
>supports a surprising amount of features
>started off as a project to get lawn mower engines to run on EFI
>good enough to run up to 8 cylinder engines, with support for boost and much more
>if it isn't already a feature, nothing stopping you from adding your own code
>cheap, fully assembled module can be had for $160
>can make your own with the blueprints for even less if you're too stingy to spend $160 for a fully stand alone ECU

Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vfyJ_CpoVpw
youtube.com/watch?v=mUZSi3oYuP0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Better than megasquirt ?

Hey, I've been looking to fuck with microcomputers and ecu shit!

Possibly, there's nothing stopping you or others from making it better than even the best aftermarket ECU

It will already run LS meme engines:
youtube.com/watch?v=vfyJ_CpoVpw

Well now's you're chance.
youtube.com/watch?v=mUZSi3oYuP0

I'd only really be interested if you had to open source your maps. Seems only fair as the ECU programming is FOSS

Theoretically you could tell people to share their maps but odds are they won't, either because it's their "secret sauce", out of spite, or they don't care.

>arduino in an automotive environment
Arduinos die if you fart on them from a distance. I would shield the shit out of it and use as much isolation as I can in the injector and ignition drivers. Don't fuck around with sketchy grounds either.

What car? I would love to put a k20a2 in my civic

I've had my arduino for years and it's been nothing but reliable.

2003 Acura RSX, came in the car.
K series is basically the LS of the 4 banger world.

Just get a k pro on finance.
Don't be a cheap nigger, i can assure the aurduino shit will be properly shit.
I've mapped megasquirt, me221, k pro, delphi, Bosch, caterpillar, Subaru (Rom raider), and VAG (winols).
The difference between the pro stuff and the cheap shit is night and day.

>be Veeky Forums
>board for cars
>rarely ever a thread for project cars let alone tuning

theres a reason for that.
no one here knows anything here apart from trim levels, simulated lap times and sucking off elon musk.

everyone here rides a bus my guy. what do you expect?

>trying to tune car after installing turbo (Honda K20A2)
>trying to tune car after installing turbo
>trying to tune
You dumb ass sack of shit cunt. you should have got the management sorted first

>but it's cheap!
News flash retard there's very little difference in terms of hardware from Speeduino (cheap off the shelf micro controller, do whatever you want with it) versus, say, megasquirt (proprietary microcontroller, fixed code)
There's literally nothing stopping you from adding support for just about any sensor, tuning program or engine you want. This started off as a community project born from tinkerers converting their lawn mowers and go karts to EFI and it already shits on a lot of lower end "name brand" ECUs and tuning tools.

The reason that this project came along was for a variety of reasons, but one of those was cost and flexibility. There is no fucking reason that ~$100 worth of parts should be sold for $1,000+.
>b-but the devs should be paid for their efforts!
I agree, however since they decided to go full Jew with the ECU aftermarket other people came along and suggested a less retarded approach.

Seriously, crack open any modern aftermarket ECU and you'll be surprised that it to is basically a pre-programmed micro controller strapped to a board with some random components to convert signals, adjust voltages, etc. Some of these aftermarket ECUs pull DLC-tier bullshit and force you to buy "packages" to unlock code that is ALREADY ON THE ECU.
With this, the world is your oyster.

Hell, there's nothing preventing you from getting the highest quality capacitors, resistors, sensors, etc and then putting the assembled board into a machined case to make it all nice and pretty. Or you could shove the thing into a shoebox in your passenger side floor board and build it with random resistors and capacitors you pulled from broken TVs and other random electronic garbage.

You'd have to be either crazy or brave as hell to trust a fucking arduino to manage engine parameters on a vehicle.

Care to explain why?

>b-but it might break!

As long as the arduino or any of the sub components on the daughter board are never stressed beyond their load capacities, it not going to fail.
There's already several people who use this as their sole ECU.

Who cares about the hardware? As you say is all plug and play mass produced parts, and you've demostated any cunt can make it.
The software is what actually matters. The ME221, megasquirt (and I bet this arduino based thing too as it uses tuner studio) have very basic control strategies and very basic user software. No doubt because they were made by software programmers, not combustion and engine control engineers.
The engine control models in these cheap ecus just can not be developed well enough to provide the level of control that the OEM units are capable of.

You get what you pay for. If you buy cheap shit, don't be surprised when it feels cheap and performs like shit.

Except the k20a3

Most stock ECUs are made this way too retard, with the exception that they usually have some security layer to prevent the user from tuning the ECU, usually meaning you either have to get an aftermarket ECU or cough up shekels to "unlock" the stock ECU so you can modify the internal tables.
As someone who has been tuning ECUs for close to 10 years, I can say for a fact that aftermarket/non-OEM ECUs win almost every time in terms of flexibility and capabilities. Most OEM ECUs don't even have support for different sensors, like wideband O2 sensors, or flex fuel sensors for instance.
As far as I know, this is the first time the user has had access to more than just tables and pre-made configuration forms. The user can now modify the core programming of their ECU, which wasn't possible under any of the previous non-FOSS ECUs. Granted, you can fuck your shit up with Speeduino if you aren't careful, but you can do the same thing whenever you're modifying stock or aftermarket ECUs.
You don't have to be an engine control engineer to make a computer that basically does this in a loop:
>read sensor values
>decide when and for how long to fire injectors and spark plugs
>repeat

While a background in that field of expertise would be valued in a project like this, it's not like the math and formulas behind deciding injector pulse length, spark advance/retard, etc haven't been public knowledge since about the 80s/90s.

>I can say for a fact that aftermarket/non-OEM ECUs win almost every time in terms of flexibility and capabilities. Most OEM ECUs don't even have support for different sensors, like wideband O2 sensors, or flex fuel sensors for instance.
The oem ecus don't need that functionality. They have all the sensors they need, why would they add features that aren't used?
The initial engine calibration is done with special open ecus that do have extra functionality to allow the engine developers to calibrate the engine. But once the calibration if finished, those features can be removed.

>As far as I know, this is the first time the user has had access to more than just tables and pre-made configuration forms.
Megasquirt started this way. In fact you can still write your own code for the MS units. Companies like MS labs do this. Other ecus offer the ability to write control strategy such as enginelab, and i think the new ecu by motorsport electronics (the ME442) will offer some custom functionality.

>You don't have to be an engine control engineer to make a computer that basically does this in a loop
I know. And it really shows. The MS boost control strategy is very weak.

>The oem ecus don't need that functionality. They have all the sensors they need, why would they add features that aren't used?
The initial engine calibration is done with special open ecus that do have extra functionality to allow the engine developers to calibrate the engine. But once the calibration if finished, those features can be removed.
I know this. The whole point of modifying the stock ECU or using some non-OEM ECU is to unlock the full potential of the motor.

The whole point is to add features that the manufacturer removed.

>Megasquirt started this way. In fact you can still write your own code for the MS units. Companies like MS labs do this. Other ecus offer the ability to write control strategy such as enginelab, and i think the new ecu by motorsport electronics (the ME442) will offer some custom functionality.

Seems their greed got in the way of feature. This to my knowledge is the only ECU I can think of that allows 100% custom modification of the code.

>I know. And it really shows. The MS boost control strategy is very weak.
Care to give an example?

>>I know. And it really shows. The MS boost control strategy is very weak.
>Care to give an example?
No feed forward term, the airflow isn't modeled and there's no exhaust temperature compensation.

>buys and installs a turbo
>too cheap to get an ecu
wow

Blames the Jews.
Was going to help you but your faggotry needs to stay on one board.
Enjoy spending money like a dumbass.

With megasquirt, I could see why you would have that kind of deficiency. With speeduino theres nothing stopping you from adding those things yourself, or letting the professionals do it for you. Modeling intake airflow while controlling for things like manifold air pressure, RPMs, engine load, etc could be computed on an arduino. Exhaust temp is a good one too, and the beauty of it is that you or anyone else could add those things to the project. Plus speeduino is still in its infancy and is developed by a handful of bored dudes tinkering with shitboxes. It's not perfect, but it definitely has potential.

I've got the money for an ECU, I just think $400 for what is basically a locked down preprogrammed microcontroller is a bit much.

>butthurt newfag can't understand ironic memes
Next you'll say I can't say nigger on Veeky Forums

>It's Veeky Forums culture.
Fuck off /pol/nigger.

>redditor can't deal with being triggered by basic racism on Veeky Forums

I don't know whos trolling who anymore.

>With speeduino theres nothing stopping you from adding those things yourself, or letting the professionals do it for you.
I'd issues with MS and ME221.
I have an arduino and its fine when programmed, but shits the bed when communicating to another device. I don't think arduino is the best platform for an engine control system.
If I want to create features, I'd probably look at an EngineLab ecu.

The arduino might not be the best, but it is dirt cheap and has a huge community.
Maybe yours is broken? My Chinese knockoff has been fine for the 3 years I've owned it.

>is dirt cheap and has a huge community.
this is what the MS used to be about.
i have come to think that neither of those are good things.

so you'd rather waste your time with this rather than pay extra for a proven platform that any tuner can calibrate? is your time worth so little?

No, blaming the Jews is exclusively to /pol/. Stay their with your fellow Untermensch.

I want to say that you CAN modify nonflex GM computers to run flex but I'm not sure, its really fucking complicated and involves fucking with the board and I stopped learning about it halfway through and bought MS kek

and I meant p01 and p59 computers

>posts nu babbyrunner
argument fucking invalid

they don't have support for my type of timing wheel yet, so fuck it, i can't use it