Does working on cars for a living make you hate cars?

Is it true that if you become a technician you'll eventually hate working on cars?
Working at a dealer right now as a lower level tech, and there's three veteran techs (in their 50s) that both say they hate working on cars. One of them used to build dragsters in his garage, and now he doesn't even like to change his own oil.
ive seen this sentiment echoed on here a lot of well.

So whats up Veeky Forums? If i want to keep liking cars should I find another career? Its not too late for me.

oops i forgot Veeky Forums doesnt have cars to work on

It kind of kills the hobby. Really miss having access to a hoist though.

>t.former dealer mechanic

This is the main reason I didn't go into automotive, I enjoy it as a hobby and didn't want to ruin that. I can imagine working on the general publics normieboxes for flat rate pay would kill the drive completely.

I started in heavy truck repair at a dealership when I was 18. Better pay and enviroment in general.

Im 25 now. Recently started working for the government repairing heavy equipment and trucks, is a gud gig. And I still wrench and build shit frequently on my downtime and thouroghly enjoy it. Just about finished up a 5 year restoration on my 79 ferd.

It's true. Keep it as a hobby.

>Worked on cars as hobby for years.
>Got into aircraft maintenance.
>Finally making enough money to afford all the stupid shit I've ever wanted for my shitbox.
>Too tired and dirty most days to even consider working on it.

It's killing my passion and god does it make me sad.

it will change your perspective on the automotive industry in general. you'll learn that every manufacturer makes a shit car from time to time. and every manufacturer has different innovations that are good. you will learn to hate almost all customers

that being said, i've been a tech for 5 years and i do have a lot more distaste for certain manufacturers

In a nutshell, yeah. This is pretty much what happens to any interest you have that you practice or study.

But you don’t have to be a mechanic your whole life, op. You could study in your spare time and chnage paths later, or instead of spending money on your shitbox, you could save up to establish your own business (if you enjoy the stress of hyper-competitive pricing and all your customers thinking you’re a con artist). It’s why I’ve been thinking of closing up shop and focusing on performance.

That said, it does come back. The first two months of a break I had I didn’t even think about cars. But after that the itch slowly started to engulf me and I was in my garage nearly every other day for a month.

Nope. Why would I be here if I hated cars?

I used to love programming. I made dozens of applications that I released and even sold, and I loved every bit of it.
Then I got a job as a software engineer. Now I have to force myself to write a line of code outside of work.

Never do your hobby as a job.

My hobbies moved from programming to cars too. I used to be really good at it and then I got my first car, and I started doing car shit. I'm getting really good at this (I just got done replacing the engine in my car) and I'm scared I'll repeat the same thing like I have with the last million hobbies I had. Lowkey sad. At least i still know how to build computers and make electronics and make shit in arm assembly. How far does it go until I lose interest?

which in particular? curious.

The last thing I want to do on the weekend is work on my own shit after a week of working on normie shitboxes

True for me, probably true for anyone who works with planned obsolescence and a customer base who doesn't understand this.

Nissan for me

Im nissan as well. Honestly shocked at how cheap they all are.
Fuck guys. I gotta get out of this

Embedded software engineer reporting in. I also can't stand coding as a hobby anymore. I think what does it is becoming jaded to your company and the codebase. Waking up everyday and trying to fix the same shit over and over because the floor is water and keeps moving blows ass.

I long for the days of analog.

What about vw? My gen 3 ea888 is making me nervous about tuning

I am one of the best mechanics you will ever meet. Been doing driveline and engines for over 35 years. I used to love it as a hobby AND as a job... I hate cars now, but it's all I know, even as a hobby.

Be my mf

>I am the best mechanic you'll ever meet

Instantly disregarded the rest of your post. You're probably one of those retards that think carburetors are better than fuel injection, can't read a wiring diagram and doesn't even know what a can bus is.

A good technician is always learning and developing his skills. If you're not, you're a parts changer, not a tech

>all those black ice fresheners and Acid cigar pack
>soft top

Nigga yo TJ fuckin' stank

That was a customer's car, see the tires in the background