2001 mustang misfires on wet/rainy days. Happened first in November after a long weekend of steady rain...

2001 mustang misfires on wet/rainy days. Happened first in November after a long weekend of steady rain. Then again a few weeks back after a bunch of snow melted. Then again tonight when its been raining all day.

I took it in back in november and they said the code was for a misfire but they couldn't get it to misfire.

Anyone familiar with a situation like this?

COPs, probably. Not familiar with the setup on that year. So either coil packs and spark plug wires or coil-on-plugs.

You can get an OBD reader with live data reading and see what cylinder is misfiring.

At that age it probably needs new plugs/wires/etc. anyway.

A lot of times it is worse when it's wet outside and it can be intermittent. The code should say what cylinder it was.

Check your fuel filter and also replace spark plug wires

The moisture soaks into the hoods bottom cover thing (idk what it’s called it’s black and on the underside of your hood) this in turn drips on your engine and fucks anything electrical

But mainly my issue was my fuel pump was basically sludge
Pic related is my old filter that I cut open after replacing
It was the 16 year old stock filter

your getting water into the air intake somehow. my bet is that you're either a retard that has an air intake next to the road and its sucking in puddle water till the filter is soaked or your intake pipe is loose/broken and water is getting in through the bottom.

That year is coil on plug. Check those for sure, 4.6s are notorious for blowing coil packs.

why does Veeky Forums always go for the longshot diagnoses first.

test
first

*assuming it's a GT, anyway, OP didn't specify so I'm being nice and assuming he doesn't own a >v6 mustang

>COP
>longshot diagnoses
>check which cylinder the code says is misfiring
>clear codes
>swap coil packs
>see if misfire moves

My 4.6 explorer did the exact same thing. I got set of Ac Delco coils for around 60-80 bucks on either amazon or ebay. Fixed my misfire. When you pull the coils, you will find the rubber boots at the bottom are probably cracked and that's how moisture is getting in.

>COP
>longshot diagnoses
>check which cylinder the code says is misfiring
>clear codes
>swap coil packs
>see if misfire moves

it only happens when he fucking drives in the rain. pulling the air filter to see if its wet and having a look into the intake for moisture takes all of 2 minutes (if that) and is a lot more likely than the plugs and coils getting enough moisture (especially under the hood) to fuck up.

Like I said, he is probably one of those tools that has a cold air intake next to the road cause "muh performance boost" and its slurping puddles and road shit.

Yeah, because water in the fucking intake is more likely than 17 year old coil packs going bad.

OP, post back when you figure out what it is. But I can already tell you it's going to be coil packs.

Wrong.

Screencap this.

>Yeah, because water in the fucking intake is more likely than 17 year old coil packs going bad.

again, it only happens WHEN HE FUCKING DRIVES IN THE RAIN.

The absolute state of fordbois.

Interesting. Especially considering the last two cars I've worked on, a Crown Vic and a Taurus, both had a similar misfire issue.

Wanna guess what the cause was?

It wasn't water in the intake...it was coil plugs. You do realize that they don't have to get water directly on them in order for humidity to get in when it rains, right?

Ford coils suck. The only thing worse than Ford coils are the aftermarket replacement coils. If you've got a Ford with COP's that's misfiring and the coils are more than a year old just save yourself some time and effort and replace them all.

So his coil packs bad?

I love the posters ignoring mine
This is real retards, take your scotty kilmer youtube diagnosis elsewhere kiddos

>tfw your coils are probably about eighteen years old, only one of them is an off-brand bright yellow one I can't remember
Only had to replace one so far myself, went straight with Motorcraft.

so either there is water getting into the intake and I'm right or your right and fords have disgustingly shit build quality. This is a lose lose situation for you.... still wanna be right?

T. Nocar

more like
>t.anycarbutford

>disgustingly shit build quality.
Coils almost 18 years old dude and no telling how many miles. I'd say they had a good run.

Not our fault you don't know very much about cars.

>water in the intake will cause a misfire
t. absolute retard

>backpedaling this hard
>about advice this retarded

I have no clue where you are assuming that the coils are stock. Nowhere in the OP was this said. If they are such shit that a little humidity can fuck them then I would bet they are not.

Ford (or any american car for that matter) is trash for misguided patriots.

p.s. my money is still water in the intake

>sticking by his rere guns
godspeed user

you should have to have a 5th grade level of English reading comprehension to post here

>p.s. my money is still water in the intake
wanna know how i know you're poor?

go ahead and spray some water into the throttle body of the car while its on, enough to mimic a good draw of a puddle through a soggy filter. I'll wait

>Ford (or any american car for that matter) is trash for misguided patriots.
Is this supposed to make me take your diagnosis seriously?

I think the word your looking for is smart. see, I would check the easy solutions to a problem before jumping to other possible causes.

Also I would not buy American garbage in the first place so there is that too....

>complains about reading comprehension
what didn't you understand?
>onno getting BTFO by my poor advice
>time to blame Ford for a common COP problem
this is the definition of a backpedal u retard

put your drivers license in the shredder

Nope, but if you were smart it would make you question why you bought a car that has been shit for longer than most can remember yet, still sells.

>a good draw of a puddle through a soggy filter

OP didn't say he was fording rivers in his fucking Mustang you mongoloid.

still waiting.

me too, in the shredder mate

>OP didn't say he was fording rivers in his fucking Mustang you mongoloid

no, he said he was getting backfires only on wet days and only in a car that boiracer faggots usually try to mod with retarded shit like road level intakes.

This must be like mental gymnastics for americans

You know what, I'm getting sick of you fags

its a known fact that FORDS have the shit tier build quality. go look at any other car and I can tell you they don't have the same thing in fact my mom has a 01 toyota and the coil plugs are still good but if you get water on the car then taht can cause problems because it will misfire when you have the water there in the intake.

don't worry, They are American. Gotta hold onto some sort of pride.

>backfires
Oh sweetie, you do realize a backfire and a misfire aren't the same thing...right?

>my moms car
TOP KEK

sorry, mistype. meant misfire. my bad.

>armchair expert
>tries to relate to his MUMS CAR
laughing my asshole off

>moving the goalposts this hard
Nice try fuccboi.

>my moms toyota do the thing
>so shitty ferds are shit
MY SIDES

FYI that was not me (the guy you all have been arguing with) but he was right (even if he is most likely underage and shot his point in the foot)

* Fuck Boy

its a toyta avalone and it still have the origninal coil plugs and has 265 thousand miles on the pedometer. ford is the shit quality man what dont you understaind?

MUMS
TOYOTA

Wanna know how I know you're 13?

MY
MOMS
TOYOTA
V
A
L
O
N

>in fact my mom has a 01 toyota
LOVING
EVERY
LEL

I hope OP comes back soon.

>mom's toyota

I'm dead.

>55 posts
>9 IPs
>Three people who know what the problem is, three people who don't know what a car is, two people repeating Mom's Toyota (vomit on his sweater is loads-a), and one poor fuck with a misfiring Mustang

My Taurus did this for a while. I changed the plugs and wires and the issue went away.

moshi moshi baitu-kun desu

and he JUST.KEEPS.SHOOTING.

Check coils and spark plug wires.

>6 asian vehicles owned by mother
i only did two moms toyotas

>lel 'yota!
could be a red herring
but it's not a defense or argument for pretending to be retarded
also
>samefag pretends to be not the samefag
>but hey this totally lame user is so right my dudes
textbook retardation refutation tactics

My '01 GT had a random misfire. Turned out to be a leaking coolant crossover on the intake manifold. Coolant was getting in the spark plug wells. Replaced it with the updated manifold(it was a known problem with those years) never had a problem again. 150k on stock COP's.
Didn't notice any problem with rain though.Get it scanned for free and see if you can tie the problem to a single cylinder and start there. Or pull your COP's off and see if you have any moisture in there.