I have a 2007 1.6L G4ED Alpha II in a 3 door Hyundai I think its 100hp stock...

I have a 2007 1.6L G4ED Alpha II in a 3 door Hyundai I think its 100hp stock. I hear the Alpha II can handle up to 150hp without mods becuase its a bit of a tank so I want to put a little turbo on it, but not have to do major rework to the engine (like changing to forged pistons. changing to thicker head gasket is fine). So I want to turbo it and get it maybe 140hp.

I got recommended the td04L-13 or the td04L-15 turbo. It needs to be internal wastegate and oil cooled only. What one is better for a 1.6? will the 13 spool up faster and be more responsive or should I get the 15? Keep in mind that I do not want to have to do major rework to the engine and will not be thrashing this car. I just want some more power when its needed.

Fuck yeah turbo getz

For the amount of time, money and effort I think it'd just be easier to buy a different car desu.

40hp gain isn't much, and almost all econoboxes make that nowadays naturally aspirated.

most econoboxes arent $3000 used with 1 old lady owner and a 1.6 alpha II which costs $40 to fill

And how much do you think turboing your Hyundai will cost?

Even if you do it on the cheap it's gonna be a couple grand, which you could put together with your $3000 to get something else with more power.

Plus then there's reliability, can't imagine a cheap turbo will last in the long term, nor the engine itself. It might be fine for a couple months, a year but I can't see it lasting in the long term desu.

Plus your fuel economy will go to shit.

It might cost $40 to fill, but you'll be doing it more often, especially if you're romping on it constantly.

>doesn’t want to do major work
>wants to convert his car to turbo
>just wants more usable power
kek

Just buy a faster car

Swap to a Beta II if you want boost

Actually, don't do it if you want boost.

Look, it's an almost totally bolt on engine. You only need to fuck with one of the engine mounts and the exhaust. But it gets you 150hp at the crank instead of like 80, all NA.

If you really did want to turbo it it is a much more stout engine with the Alpha with more market support because it was the engine used in Tiburons.

Really though, you're better off just getting a civic or something because the support is still really small compared to anything else

I worded that wrong, don't do it just for boost, because swapping to Beta will make the same hp gain NA as a cheap turbo on an Alpha will, and Beta has more aftermarket support

It's not worth modding this car. Do you think the suspension is good enough that it will be much more enjoyable with a faster engine?

I used to have a hyundai accent and it had body roll out the ass and that thing was only a 1.5L engine making like 80hp

But a $3000 Honda Civic will be much easier and cheaper to throw a turbo onto because literally nobody mods hyundais

Any answers to what I asked other than "buy a faster car"?

Tbh once I have it I'll see what it's like. 3 door getz 1.6L alpha II I drove 1.6 alpha I yesterday it was not bad. BUT. If it's not enough I wanna turbo it. Can get everything for a turbo inc pipes for less than $1000

no

What did you expect?

>hey guys should I do this cost ineffective thing on this car nobody has much experience with instead of buying a proven platform with the characteristics I need with the same amount of money

>So I want to turbo it and get it maybe 140hp.
Instead of turbo, swap the engine with the Elantra 01-02 engine or 03 Tiborun engine. You can probably find one at a local junkyard for $400 or so.

It is the 2.0L Beta II G4GC engine, makes 140 horsepower stock, with no turbo.

The Beta I and Beta IIs in years after what is said above use MAF instead of MAP so are not compatible with your already MAP car/ECU.

Most sensors work (you must swap the coolant temp sensor and crankshaft position sensor with the Alpha ones due to different connectors, just unbolt them and bolt them in the new engine), you can keep using the original car ECU, and even the same wiring harness. (You must make a cable extension for the camshaft position sensor as it is on the other side of the engine, everything else is in the same places roughly)

Bolts right up to your existing Alpha transmission.

The Alpha clutch bolts right onto the Beta flywheel.

Less work overall than trying a turbo setup, and you don't have to tune it. If you really want to, you can do way more boost psi with the beta engine than the alpha.

Just sell the hyundai and buy a civic before you fuck with turbos. If you fuck with your hyundai at all you won't be able to sell it worth jack shit later. It's probably already only worth $2k on craigslist as it is

so a 2001-2003 2.0L Beta II G4GC can do a straight transplant into a 2007 1.6L G4ED alpha II?

Or are you talking about the G4GF?

G4GF is the Beta 1, which is MAF on the intake and so not as straight a swap as the Beta 2 (G4GC)

What's more fuel efficient a 2007 1.6 with a turbo or a 2001 2L both at 140hp

hard to call but probably the 1.6 if you avoid revving it. newer + lower capacity + avoid boost is less fuel
but same goes for the 2.0 which probably does better while cruising

At this stage a turbo is the same price as a bigger engine, and I also need an engine lift and the garage to do it. Neither of those I really have. Turbo is literally bolt on and I am 6'6 and 110kg but I can't lift an engine in by myself. So price for either option is the same. Finding a 15 year old engine in good condition is prob near non existent I would have to rebuild it LET'S BE REALISTIC HERE. And if I did that I'd just turbo it. But then it would be 250hp and the getz would need a new clutch, exhaust system and everything.

A getz with a turbo would sell way easier than a getz with a 2.0L 250hp. And I'd get my $1000 back on the turbo, maybe not the $5000 on engine, rebuild, turbo, exhaust, gearbox etc

>Turbo is literally bolt on
Lol, good luck pal. Let us know how it goes.

A poorly tuned 1.6 turbo will drink more than an atmo 1.8 with a stock ECU.

>inb4 it's not poorly tuned

Yes it is, you'll never get it as efficient as a factory turbo because you don't have the money to spend years fine tuning it.

The year doesn't matter as long as it's got multi-point injection.

>A getz with a turbo would sell way easier than a getz with a 2.0L 250hp. And I'd get my $1000 back on the turbo
If you sold the turbo separately, maybe.
Any car mods reduce resale value no matter how much money you pour into it.

Just put a 40 shot of nos on it and be done with it desu.

It'll be about as reliable as a cheap turbo desu.

I love the effort the poster put in about using the G4GC. Hands down best Veeky Forums reply I've ever had. I looked into it and saw heaps of late models but FEW from 2003ish. My current car is Shitsubishi 380 3.8L basically 11L/100km a 1.6L getz is 6.6L/100km I think. It's just going to be a town car coz I catch bus now so I want it zippy but it needs to remain economical otherwise why buy a tiny ass car. Mine is $80 a week to fill fml. If I DID go through with engine transplant (and I would) it's just too much hassle despite what some people say. A turbo with the right adapters is bolt on and small turbo and good tune doesn't need many if anything done to engine for the extra squirt it can give.

FYI I'm a boilermaker I can make anything bolt on

>I looked into it and saw heaps of late models but FEW from 2003ish.
It will work because the Alpha II is not a 2007 engine. The exact same 1.6L engine was used in Hyundai Accents from 2001-2005 or so